Jon Jones might have nerve damage in his arm and Vitor fought with a broken hand

MMAPlayground.com » Community » MMA News Share Forum » Jon Jones might have nerve damage in his arm and Vitor fought with a broken hand
Bubbles
9/24/12 9:29:18AM
If Jon Jones is the end boss no one can beat at the arcade that attracts a crowd around the cabinet and the next challenger, hoping the next guy can accomplish what the last couldn't. Then Vitor Belfort is the guy who mashed all the buttons he could while wearing a cast on his hand utilizing a hybrid two-finger technique on the joystick that nearly delivered a win. Props are given all around in the warm glow of the 'game over' screen, hands are rested on shoulders and god knows (really, she does) that Vitor did everything he could, but Jon Jones has once again claimed another quarter.

For a moment last night I thought we were going to see a Tim Sylvia/Frank Mir type stoppage, but Big John was calm cool and collected and let the fight rightly go on through the armbar that heaven sent. The fallout looks like this: last night we saw reports coming out of the Bones camp saying he may have nerve damage in his arm, but nothing is confirmed yet. Next, we found out Vitor Belfort fought Jon Jones with a broken hand, which explains the guard pulls. Both of these dudes walked out of the Octagon with some newly unlocked Badass Tokens if you ask me.

Jones: "In there, I felt as if there was a point where I don't think physically he could have extended it even more," "I mean, it was popping, and I felt after 25 years that I've never felt that feeling before. I just came to terms with what was going to happen, just thinking, 'Man, I can't believe I'm getting ready to lose this way.'"
"I wasn't close to tapping out at all," "I was ready to face the music and get it broken if I had to get it broken. I proved a lot to myself tonight and I'm grateful for it. I haven't gotten x-rays, so I'm not going to sit here and feed into a little pain. But I'll definitely live on to fight another day. Every time I extended my right hand or tried to use an elbow on my right side, I felt it. I felt as if I really didn't have any power in my right side at all but it's a long ways from my heart."

Belfort: "I had my opportunity," "I think when I heard the pop, I kind of lost the pressure, and he got away. It is what it is. I thought I really had that arm, but he fought through it. He did great"

link
scoozna
9/24/12 9:43:37AM

Both of these dudes walked out of the Octagon with some newly unlocked Badass Tokens if you ask me.

That says it all for me. That first round was one of those moments where you're white-knuckling it and you can't believe what you're seeing. To find out his elbow "popped" and he fought through it just makes it more crazy. Props to Vitor for getting that armbar, and fighting with a broken hand, and props to JJ for fighting right through it and getting the job done.
airkerma
9/24/12 10:38:36AM
Keeping with gaming analogies, had Belfort broken Bones' arm in the first round to get the Tsub, I probably would have been screaming "zOMFG haxxxxxx!"
Theoutlaw08
9/24/12 10:42:47AM
Sounds like it was an amazing fight. I missed it, bachelor party this weekend for a buddy.
meier
9/24/12 10:59:35AM
Belfort still got beat
george112
9/24/12 11:33:49AM
Jones dodged a bullet.

Belfort I give props for fighting with a broken hand BUT

WHY THE FUCK WOULD YOU FIGHT WITH A BROKEN HAND AGAINST JON JONES!!!???

To look like a "real" fighter? To make Dana happy? To make the fans happy? (most likely its the last one)

A broken hand literally takes almost all possibility of you winning the fight. For belfort to have done that in my eyes tells me he wasn't really fighting to win. He was just trying to make people happy. I love him for it I really do but damn why go into a TITLE fight with a VERY dangerous opponent with a BROKEN hand. All that smack Rogan and Dana were talking about hand speed..riiiiiiight (dr.evil style)
ghandikush
9/24/12 11:40:32AM
I want to hate Jon Jones for his bad PR but WOW, that is a mans way to fight.

GSP did it with his groin tear and we showed mad respect for that one.
BigBadAl
9/24/12 12:07:16PM

Posted by ghandikush

Agreed. Not all fighters, even ones in the UFC can fight through that sort of thing. A lot would tap out earlier, a lot look for easy ways out of a fight when they have given up inside, like giving up their back for an easy RNC. There are a some that just don't have quit in them no matter what the circumstance, who won't quit until they are unconscious or the ref steps in. Jones is one of those and I have to give him respect for that even if I don't really like him as a person.
Theoutlaw08
9/24/12 1:59:18PM
I would agree, as mad as I want to be with Jones for the whole cancellation thing, its hard when a guy battles through and early fight injury. I prop both guys for their determination.
frizzzlecake
9/24/12 2:10:14PM
Haha badass tokens I love Borderlands 2.
Sir_Karl
9/24/12 2:13:20PM
Whoever wrote this article has to be one of the worst writers in the history of journalism. MMA "journalism" is generally poor to begin with but this article takes it to an even lower level. Did a fifth grader write it? This article was as pitiful as it gets. The writing was so foolish that I won't even comment on the fight that the article is about in the first place. I'm disgusted.
cowcatcher
9/24/12 2:22:08PM

Posted by Sir_Karl

Whoever wrote this article has to be one of the worst writers in the history of journalism. MMA "journalism" is generally poor to begin with but this article takes it to an even lower level. Did a fifth grader write it? This article was as pitiful as it gets. The writing was so foolish that I won't even comment on the fight that the article is about in the first place. I'm disgusted.

Do you wanna be a fucking writer?!
Manak
9/24/12 3:15:10PM
and props to jones cause that arm bar was nasty, still baffled it didn't break his arm. i was screaming at the bar, break his arm. and the broken hand explains vitor's strategy, i was waiting for him to let the hands lose but with when it is broken i can see why not to do that.
backalley101
9/24/12 3:25:04PM

Posted by BigBadAl

Posted by ghandikush

Agreed. Not all fighters, even ones in the UFC can fight through that sort of thing. A lot would tap out earlier, a lot look for easy ways out of a fight when they have given up inside, like giving up their back for an easy RNC. There are a some that just don't have quit in them no matter what the circumstance, who won't quit until they are unconscious or the ref steps in. Jones is one of those and I have to give him respect for that even if I don't really like him as a person.

Wolfenstein
9/24/12 5:33:30PM
I think mostly he did it for the fans, but a small part of me believes he didn't want to prove Chael Sonnen right--that he'd get injured and have to pull out, leaving us with Chael vs Bones.
tallica62
9/24/12 6:30:15PM
numbness tends to mean nerve damage
Chael_Sonnen
9/24/12 8:09:34PM
Nerve damage

Uh-oh - - - does this mean he WON'T be able to hold a beer while DRIVING anytime soon?

Poor fella
meier
9/24/12 10:40:48PM
I'm so sick and tired of excuses after fights. you lose you lose don't complain or make excuses. fighters fight hurt most of the time if not all of the time.
Chael_Sonnen
9/24/12 11:59:23PM
Question

Maybe you JJ fans can answer this - - - what will cost more, Jon's hospital tab or the settlement JJ made with the two broads from the backseat?

I MUST KNOW!
prophecy033
9/25/12 1:12:28AM

Posted by Wolfenstein

I think mostly he did it for the fans, but a small part of me believes he didn't want to prove Chael Sonnen right--that he'd get injured and have to pull out, leaving us with Chael vs Bones.

THIS
meier
9/25/12 1:39:32AM
Chael sonnen has great looking hair and i hope dan beats machida if they fight. then fight jj(not compete against him) and see if jj can overcome dans wrestling and right hand.
bjj1605
9/25/12 9:14:33AM
This fight makes me think that a really good jiu jitsu guy could be the solution to the Jon Jones puzzle.

Vitor has a black belt in BJJ but he is by no means a high level black belt. Props to him for catching that armbar, but really there is no excuse for him not finishing it.

On the same card we saw Vinny demonstrate how to finish an arm bar once you have a hold of it.

Gracie Breakdown of Jon Jones vs Vitor Belfort

The Gracies give examples of some pretty basic ways that Vitor could have finished the arm bar.
bigrand826
9/25/12 10:00:55AM

Posted by bjj1605

This fight makes me think that a really good jiu jitsu guy could be the solution to the Jon Jones puzzle.

Vitor has a black belt in BJJ but he is by no means a high level black belt. Props to him for catching that armbar, but really there is no excuse for him not finishing it.

On the same card we saw Vinny demonstrate how to finish an arm bar once you have a hold of it.

Gracie Breakdown of Jon Jones vs Vitor Belfort

The Gracies give examples of some pretty basic ways that Vitor could have finished the arm bar.

I watched it, but I only remember them mentioning one option. Given that Vitor had a broken hand, he may have lost the hold all together if he had tried to hold the arm with one hand and hook the ankle to rotate his body out to a better angle as they mentioned.
bigrand826
9/25/12 10:12:09AM

Posted by george112

Jones dodged a bullet.

Belfort I give props for fighting with a broken hand BUT

WHY THE FUCK WOULD YOU FIGHT WITH A BROKEN HAND AGAINST JON JONES!!!???

To look like a "real" fighter? To make Dana happy? To make the fans happy? (most likely its the last one)

A broken hand literally takes almost all possibility of you winning the fight. For belfort to have done that in my eyes tells me he wasn't really fighting to win. He was just trying to make people happy. I love him for it I really do but damn why go into a TITLE fight with a VERY dangerous opponent with a BROKEN hand. All that smack Rogan and Dana were talking about hand speed..riiiiiiight (dr.evil style)

When did it happen? I figured it happened in training after he accepted the Jones fight, not before. He stepped up and was going to pull back out? Sure he could have. How far out was this? I don't think it would have made a difference to Vitor. If he didn't fight that night, he likely wasn't going to get the opportunity down the road when he healed. I don't even want to think about what might have happened had Vitor pulled out due to injury on say, a week notice.
tcunningham
9/25/12 12:24:20PM
i dont care about vitors excuses. normally i get pissed to hear them, but vitor did step into the cage with the most dominant LHW we have seen since chuck, all the while taking the fight on relatively short notice and in a bigger weightclass. vitor has my respect, the only thing that would make me feel better is to have seen vitor break jones' shit and take his title.