Jon Jones Mission: Cleaning up the LHW division! 3 more to go

MMAPlayground.com » MMA General » UFC Forum » Jon Jones Mission: Cleaning up the LHW division! 3 more to go
POLL: Who will have the greatest chance to defeat Jones
Anderson Silva 76% (34)
Rashad Evans 13% (6)
Dan Henderson 11% (5)
dotaaddict
12/11/11 8:32:07PM
Yeah.. 3 Hall of famers has already been destroyed by this man..
Only three 'PROVEN' warriors is left to stop him from becoming the greatest Light Heavyweight greatest fighter..
Dan Henderson , Rashad Evans and Anderson Silva!!

Beating Rua, Machida and Jackson is already a giant achievement.. but to continue the onslaught and defeat those three future HoF will be a legendary achievement!!!...

3 IS DONE, 3 TO GO!
Twenty20Dollars
12/11/11 8:52:12PM
I'd like to see Alexander Gustafsson get to that title contention level. He is a well rounded guy and Jones wouldn't have as much size on him with Alexander being an inch taller than Jones at 6'5".
bjj1605
12/11/11 10:13:59PM
I picked Anderson as having the "best" chance. I'm still not sure he could do it. I'd probably pick Jones.

I think Anderson is better than Jones in every aspect of the game except wrestling. His striking is on a different plane of existence. His technical jiu jitsu is years ahead of Jones. His overall MMA game is more developed and Anderson is more experienced.

What Jones has is a huge advantage in natural gifts. His reach, his size, his strength, and his athleticism.

Anderson could win the fight on the feet. His pinpoint accuracy and deceptive power could lead to a knock out. His leg kicks could exploit one of the few physical "weaknesses" that people think he might have (skinny little legs.) But he'd have to keep it on the feet to make any of that matter.

Jones could probably take him down and impose his size and strength on Anderson. Maybe even get a TKO.
DeadHead988
12/11/11 11:59:42PM
i feel that Anderson would have little to no chance against Jones. He would be giving up too much weight, and his striking is not significantly better. Jones beats him in every other facet of the game. Hendo's too old and his style doesn't quite give him any advantages, Rashad's the only one with a solid shot. I take Jones to beat all three, but I feel it would be very unwise to sleep on Rashad.
UFC_Fanatic
12/12/11 3:27:22AM

Posted by DeadHead988

i feel that Anderson would have little to no chance against Jones. He would be giving up too much weight, and his striking is not significantly better. Jones beats him in every other facet of the game. Hendo's too old and his style doesn't quite give him any advantages, Rashad's the only one with a solid shot. I take Jones to beat all three, but I feel it would be very unwise to sleep on Rashad.

I disagree on the anderson silva striking part. I often mull over whether or not Silva can win the fight in my head. I think about that fight all the time. Admittedly, I'm not entirely sold on Silva's chances, the stylistic match up and difference in size, and, well, pretty much everything that bjj said, may be a bad one for Silva, but imo, Anderson Silva's striking is SIGNIFICANTLY better than pretty much every fighter in MMA at the moment.
placente
12/12/11 3:37:22AM
i realized that in the machida fight that Jones does not have a great chin, im pretty sure if a guy landed several hard shots during the fight, Jones would eventually crack and go down.

i feel that anderson silva has the best chance, he knows how to hit ya, once he figures jones out (if he does), it'll be a pice of cake for AS.

Hendo has that one punch KO, i think the H-bomb can ko anybody if it lands solid, and also jones would have a hard time taking hendo down, he is Olympic caliber.

placente
12/12/11 3:49:29AM
im pretty sure AS has dealt with guys with longer reach, i think he can figure out a way to beat the unbeatable. i see some holes in Jones game, if AS can stop the take downs, im sure he can figure out Jones. AS stand up is the best in MMA, he has the most impossible kos on his resume, he does not fight, he thinks then acts. Jones just relies on his talent too much, he does not think yet.

i think AS' cerebral approach will beat the young monster.
dotaaddict
12/12/11 4:22:20AM
Anderson silva do not know how to solve the takedown and ground control of Sonnen.. But I do believe that he can pretty solve the striking and wrestling puzzle of Jones but the question is,, if he can execute it..

I think, the fighter who can beat Jones is the fighter who will not be afraid of him

Poor_Franklin
12/12/11 1:14:16PM
if jones were to beat rashad, dan & anderson, & gustaffson keep winning & improving, that'd be a sweet fight!!!!!

maybe we can just hope jones loses soon so the gustaffson matchup can happen sooner *fingerscrossed*
Cooler
12/12/11 1:59:22PM
Why is everyone talking about Jones vs Anderson now...cmon, the guy just defended the LHW for the first time since 2006 and the fans want a superfight with Anderson and Jones instead of the GSP vs Anderson fight that has been talked about since they've both been dominating around the same time. Anderson and GSP are relatively closer in size than Jones and Anderson. Little confused why Anderson is in this talk anyway because he isnt even in the LHW division and has little to no interest in it. And also, Jones isnt 3 fights away from "Cleaning it up the LHW" either.
bjj1605
12/12/11 2:08:17PM

Posted by DeadHead988

i feel that Anderson would have little to no chance against Jones. He would be giving up too much weight, and his striking is not significantly better.

Someone doesn't train muay thai. Jones is like a really gifted amateur with good physical advantages. Anderson Silva is a guru.

Posted by placente

if AS can stop the take downs, im sure he can figure out Jones.

Stopping the take downs is the problem though. I do think Anderson's wrestling is underrated. He's shown flashes of brilliance in that department (TDD against Okami, hitting a switch on marquardt, even moments in the Sonnen fight). But he'd have a hell of a time doing it against Jones.

Posted by Cooler

Why is everyone talking about Jones vs Anderson now...cmon, the guy just defended the LHW for the first time since 2006 and the fans want a superfight with Anderson and Jones instead of the GSP vs Anderson fight that has been talked about since they've both been dominating around the same time. Anderson and GSP are relatively closer in size than Jones and Anderson. Little confused why Anderson is in this talk anyway because he isnt even in the LHW division and has little to no interest in it. And also, Jones isnt 3 fights away from "Cleaning it up the LHW" either.

Because GSP has no interest in fighting Anderson and might even be done in the sport.
prozacnation1978
12/12/11 4:24:49PM
U gotta give jones respect

Destroying bader,shogun,ramage and machida. Not even having it go to the judges is a huge feat!!

I think he faces evans, hendo, mousasi eventually
I should be number 2 ahead of gsp on pound for pound list.

He finishes fights!!
dotaaddict
12/12/11 6:29:44PM
Jones is so far away to be compared to Silva..

Silva only beats contenders.. Jones beats ex champions and future HoF..!!

Only Henderson and Griffin are the big names in Andersons card...

While Pierre had Serra, Penn and Hughes but he loss to Serra and he only beats Hughes in the twilight of the legends career..

So,, HOW DARE YOU TO COMPARE JONES WITH THE TWO !!
Cooler
12/12/11 6:30:36PM

Posted by bjj1605

Posted by Cooler

Because GSP has no interest in fighting Anderson and might even be done in the sport.

Ok? and Anderson has no interest in fighting at 205 anymore. So its a wash

GSP isnt done and will probably lose to Diaz anyway via the layoff and pressure.
sbulldavid
12/12/11 7:48:01PM
Jones is number one no doubt, I think Anderson is the best striker in MMA but Jones wrestling is far too dominating.
icecold2357
12/12/11 8:21:21PM
I'm a huge fan of Jon Jones but you gotta look at things realistically. No way does dana book jones and silva, EVER. Jones would have to clean out his division and when that would happen Silva would already be retired. They wont fight now either bc Dana knows Silva would probably put Jones out in the first.

I know a lot of people want to dispell that, but just look at how quickly Machida figured out Jones range. Jones is an athletic freak but, right now he is just too raw. Silva is better at everything but wrestling, and I dont even think sonnen could control him again like that. Also something Silva will do that nobody else really has is he will attack Jones legs. With Silva's striking skills, They will hurt quickly and really neutralize Jones attack. Throwing flying knees and spinning back fists against Silva also probably wont be a good strategy, bc Silva's striking is literally light years ahead of Jones.

When Jones is ready to face Silva, it wont matter anymore bc Silva will have called it a career and we will already be calling Jones the best in the world

I personally am more interested to watch Jones vs Hendo. Hendo has the Greco-Roman wrestling and the one punch KO power that will make for an exciting matchup. If Jones survives the first 2 rounds, I say he takes it easily. For those 2 first rounds tho, Hendo is gonna be coming for Jones' head. Fun matchup in my eyes. I'll be taking Jones but Hendo can end it with one punch
DeadHead988
12/12/11 8:26:00PM

Posted by bjj1605

Posted by DeadHead988

i feel that Anderson would have little to no chance against Jones. He would be giving up too much weight, and his striking is not significantly better.

Someone doesn't train muay thai.

Actually I do and I'm pretty offended.

bjj1605
12/12/11 10:47:30PM

Posted by DeadHead988

Posted by bjj1605

Someone doesn't train muay thai.

Actually I do and I'm pretty offended.

Sorry man.

Not trying to offend you. Perhaps I could have been a bit more tactful.

What I'm getting at is that just by looking at the two guys you can see that Anderson is way more technically advanced. If you want me to get into more detail than that, I'd be happy to.

Sorry again if I offended you. It wasn't intended. All in good fun