Jon Jones makes no bones about MMA skills

MMAPlayground.com » Community » MMA News Share Forum » Jon Jones makes no bones about MMA skills
emfleek
6/26/09 10:42:38AM
When Jon Jones was a kid, he frequently was the first player chosen in pickup basketball games. By his own admission, though, that was a mistake. Jones is no basketball player.

With brothers Arthur and Chandler starring on the Syracuse University football team, he often was expected to be a star wide receiver or running back. But Jones chuckles and admits he's lucky if he can catch one of every three balls thrown his way.

STORY
Bowen50
6/26/09 11:33:37AM
i can't wait to watch him tool O'Brien
Wolf
6/26/09 3:14:30PM
i'm so tired of hearing about him. He wins two fights and he's the second coming. I'll be looking forward to seeing all these forums after Jake smashes him.
Bowen50
6/26/09 4:41:21PM

Posted by Wolf

i'm so tired of hearing about him. He wins two fights and he's the second coming. I'll be looking forward to seeing all these forums after Jake smashes him.

i'm curious as to how you see this fight going. O'Brien barley got past Christian Wellish in his first fight at 205 and now he's going up against Jones who is a very dangerous up and comer. Jones' wrestling is much better than Jakes and so is his striking. he's outmatched where ever this fight ends up. it's not that i think Jones is "the second coming" i just recognize the skill and potential he possesses. that you can't deny.
State_Champ
6/27/09 7:54:15AM
I don't get excited about a Jon Jones fight because I believe he's the "second coming" but rather because I find his fighting style to be very entertaining.
]
And also, I do see potential in him to be a very good fighter but I think he obviously has a ways to go.

good luck 'Bones'!
Wolf
6/28/09 6:43:42PM

Posted by Bowen50

Posted by Wolf

i'm curious as to how you see this fight going. O'Brien barley got past Christian Wellish in his first fight at 205 and now he's going up against Jones who is a very dangerous up and comer. Jones' wrestling is much better than Jakes and so is his striking. he's outmatched where ever this fight ends up. it's not that i think Jones is "the second coming" i just recognize the skill and potential he possesses. that you can't deny.

Rewatch the fight. Jake tooled Wellisch on his feet until he gassed. He gassed because he's never had to make that weight cut. Even gassed he was able to take Wellisch down at will. Something that is overlooked is Wellisch was a collegiate wrestler as well.

As for Jones being a much better wrestler? Are you serious? Juco champ isn't that big a deal. Jake was a D1 wrestler and a 3 time indiana state champ. Wrestling is king in the midwest and being a champ 3 times in any midwestern state is serious cred. Jake is also much bigger and stronger than Jones. His hands are sharp. I won't argue it anymore than that. I'll just say, that I think I lot of people will be surprised after this fight is over.