Jon Jones Vs Jake O'Brien @ UFC 100

MMAPlayground.com » Community » MMA News Share Forum » Jon Jones Vs Jake O'Brien @ UFC 100
MMAcca
3/14/09 12:03:36PM
Jon Jones, the rising phenom ,is taking on Jake O’Brien at UFC 100. Jake has fought as a heavyweight in the UFC, and a big one at that, so it will be interesting to see how he does at 205. Jones is coming off a big win over Stephan Bonnar at UFC 94, and his exciting style has garnered him a lot of attention in the world of MMA.

I have spoken to sources close to the fight and they’ve confirmed that it’s on for UFC 100.

LINK

Confirmed by 5oz Of Pain
prozacnation1978
3/14/09 12:10:51PM
jones by ko i think
higdon10
3/14/09 12:27:51PM
Jones by UD
jiujitsufreak74
3/14/09 12:31:40PM
O'brien's style plays well into Jone's style. i think we will see some more incredible Grecco throws in this one...hopefully Jones doesn't take too many chances with his unorthodox striking and catch one...but i still think Jones takes this.
Bowen50
3/14/09 12:33:50PM
Jones by TKO. he's just the superior fighter where ever this goes. look for Jones to throw O'Brien around the octagon for a while and finish him with some ground and pound.
ncordless
3/14/09 12:33:54PM

Posted by jiujitsufreak74

O'brien's style plays well into Jone's style. i think we will see some more incredible Grecco throws in this one...hopefully Jones doesn't take too many chances with his unorthodox striking and catch one...but i still think Jones takes this.

Look for Jones to stuff a td... shimmy O'Brian into a clinch... and pull off another great souffle.
Bloodhound
3/14/09 12:35:27PM
should be a good fight but i got Jon Bones Jones
LakieMan
3/14/09 12:47:37PM
Jones by TKO!!!
theguido
3/14/09 2:34:14PM
Kinda a step down for bones after beating Bonnar they give him a low level gate keeper? I got Bones winning via KO rd 2
Solidus
3/14/09 2:40:18PM
Gift wrapped win for Jones. Looks like they're actually trying to build him up.
GSPCanada
3/14/09 3:11:06PM
well it is more interesting than you think, jones will be the superior striker but other than that spinning back elbow thrown on bonnar he hasn't shown much in the way of finishing power also he hasn't been that good at controlling his opponents while they are on the ground and it is going to be tough for him to keep a wrestler on the ground, based on what ive seen there is a good chance obrien dishes out more damage while he is on top than when jones is on top, but jon jones is improving so who knows he might just throw a flying knee and finsih this fight in the first 10 seconds

still jones by ud
Mayhem13
3/14/09 4:14:54PM
jones wins this by unanimous decision...but i bet its a closer fight then the boonar jones fight...i dont think he will be able to control and thrown jake around as much due to his size and wrestling.
Twenty20Dollars
3/14/09 4:17:27PM
I will prolly give this to Jones by his crazy style. Even though I give the power edge to O'Brien, I think Jones is more athletic and faster and can do what he did to bonnar, win via UD just dominate.
Wolfenstein
3/14/09 4:26:44PM
I'm geting a little tired of Jake O'Brien being everyone's stepping stone. He's not even an exciting stepping stone.

I'm sure Jone's will own the standup, but I'm not sure if we'll see a bunch of great greco throws, since O'Brien has a pretty solid wrestling base as well.

I have to say this is some poor matchmaking. It's a step down from Bonnar, it's not a very competetive fight, and I think their styles together will make for a bad kickboxing match.
Boo_Radley21
3/14/09 4:55:25PM
I love watching O'brien get beat on. Lets go Bones!
sparky
3/14/09 5:16:43PM
Johnny Bones Jones!!!
bls1919
3/14/09 7:20:31PM
Wow this should be a good fight. jones looked good against Bonnar and O'Brien looked like the cut didnt hurt him against Wellisch. Jake has 8 TKO to his record and Jones IMO will look to stand and trade. Should end in fireworks. I am leaning toward Jones but O'Brian has a good shot at winning as well.
ThePlague
3/14/09 7:51:58PM
I think Jon will get his first stoppage in the UFC. Bones by TKO in the 2nd .
Jesse_Canadian_MMA
3/14/09 8:43:45PM
JON JONES ALL THE WAY!!!
kinda hope this fight makes the main card
Twenty20Dollars
3/14/09 10:21:12PM
I dont think this is a step down for Jones because the guy has little experience and O'Brien is a tough guy, and is coming off a win @LHW. And Jake has good power and wrestling.

So this should be a good match up.
Aether
3/14/09 11:51:21PM
Jones by throwing his opponent around like a ragdoll until he can't fight anymore.
nwowolfpack
3/15/09 4:21:04AM
Interview w/Jones coming Sunday on PDG.........but I can say he stated after the Bonner victory he was having a brewskie and playing COD 4.............
StPierreCanada
3/15/09 9:55:20AM
Jon Jones is to well rounded and will get a 2nd rd TKO I think.
tmas
3/15/09 10:47:51AM

Posted by theguido

Kinda a step down for bones after beating Bonnar they give him a low level gate keeper? I got Bones winning via KO rd 2

huh? YOu must be thinking of someone else For 1 Jake has only lost two times. 1 to Andrei Arlovski and 2 to Cain Velasquez . That makes him 4-2 in the UFC, thats not a gate keeper he hasnt had enough fights to be. ALso like WOlf said he isnt a stepping stone either. how could he be Andrei's espically since that was his last fight in the UFC. Cain's ok but that one loss to an up and commer doesnt make him a stepping stone espcally since Cain hasnt taken a step up in comp as a result of that fight......

Now this is Jake's 2nd fight at LHW, a 6'3" former 245 pound LHW he is a big powerful guy, this will be a good fight. If jones Cardio dosnt fail him i think he will take it, IF not Jake does have the power that Step doesnt have to KO JOnes, lets not forget the end of the 2nd and most of the 3rd Jones was in bad shape as Bonnar was Tn off on a tired Jones, if Bonnar had power that fight would have been over instead of Jones win.

Im gonna take Jones by something ridiculas and awesome i love that guy!
Wolf
3/15/09 1:52:16PM
To everyone that thiks O'brien is a step down in competition, you need to STFU. O'brien's style may not be the most exciting, but that doesn't make him a poor fighter. He's got great wrestling, and a VERY fast double leg for guy as big as he is. That's something Jone's didn't have to deal with against Bonnar. Also, if Jones' main wrestling is Greco (i don't know this for sure, as I don't know much about the guy) then he may not be as good at stopping a TD as some of you think. Double legs are illegal in Greco, so you don't learn to stop them. I look to see Jones as the more dynamic striker, but I also think now that Jake has done the cut to LHW once already you'll see him better able to keep the pace up and show his outstanding boxing ability. Then he'll put jones on his back when he needs to. Jones may have good subs, but they're not going to be any better than Wellisch's, and Jake showed his ability to avoid those subs. Basically I look for this to be a really good fight that's too close for me to call.