Jon Jones: Glover Teixeira is like Rampage Jackson with better grappling

MMAPlayground.com » Community » MMA News Share Forum » Jon Jones: Glover Teixeira is like Rampage Jackson with better grappling
FastKnockout
9/5/13 2:14:51PM
UFC light heavyweight champion, Jon Jones doesn't seem all that concerned about the prospect of facing Glover Teixeira.

Link
OnyxShadow
9/5/13 2:45:12PM
Better grappling, more aggressive, more motivated...but yeah...pretty much the exact same fighter.
sparky
9/5/13 2:59:25PM
Style wise Glover and Rampage are extremely similar but when it comes to heart and guts Glover has Quinton beat by a mile.
mattjonesy
9/5/13 4:23:25PM
Personally I think teixeira is much more well rounded than rampage ever was. Similar in their shape,size and the way they box yes.
SmileR
9/5/13 4:27:41PM
He hasn't got the chin of Rampage though. Jones would mess him up in under one round.
tepid55
9/5/13 4:38:19PM
I think Teixeira is a much better wrestler/grappler than Jackson, and I think his overall standup game is better also.
Webbie
9/5/13 4:58:45PM
Glover's a better grappler, but Rampage has a much better chin.
frizzzlecake
9/5/13 6:54:11PM
Glover is more like Fedor.
prozacnation1978
9/5/13 7:00:07PM
Jones will beat him
SamPan
9/5/13 8:38:41PM

Posted by Webbie

I keep hearing people say this - that Rampage's chin is stronger than Teixeira's. With all due respect, I don't know what this popular opinion is based on.

The shots Bader landed would have dazed any LHW... not just Teixeira. Also, Teixeira's never been KO'd while Rampage has.

I think what Bader really exposed was some holes in Teixeira's boxing defense. I see Jones getting the TKO, but I don't think Teixeira's chin will be to blame.
Webbie
9/5/13 8:54:56PM

Posted by SamPan

Posted by Webbie

I keep hearing people say this - that Rampage's chin is stronger than Teixeira's. With all due respect, I don't know what this popular opinion is based on.

The shots Bader landed would have dazed any LHW... not just Teixeira. Also, Teixeira's never been KO'd while Rampage has.

I think what Bader really exposed was some holes in Teixeira's boxing defense. I see Jones getting the TKO, but I don't think Teixeira's chin will be to blame.

It's not just Glover's weak chin that presents the problem, though. It's the fact that he can't avoid punches. Glover is very slow, and when he's standing and exchanging, he gets hit a lot. Most LHWs with decent boxing likely wouldn't have even been hit by the punch that Bader landed because they would've blocked/slipped it. Bader's boxing is really nothing special. I believe someone like Rampage wouldn't have even been hit by that punch.

Everyone has their own opinion, but to me it's pretty obvious that Glover has a weak chin. He's been rocked many times, not just by Bader.
UFC_Fanatic
9/5/13 9:09:42PM

Posted by Webbie

Posted by SamPan

Posted by Webbie

It's not just Glover's weak chin that presents the problem, though. It's the fact that he can't avoid punches. Glover is very slow, and when he's standing and exchanging, he gets hit a lot. Most LHWs with decent boxing likely wouldn't have even been hit by the punch that Bader landed because they would've blocked/slipped it. Bader's boxing is really nothing special. I believe someone like Rampage wouldn't have even been hit by that punch.

Everyone has their own opinion, but to me it's pretty obvious that Glover has a weak chin. He's been rocked many times, not just by Bader.

Yeah, I love Glover and the style he brings but I'd definitely say his chin is a question mark right now. As for never being ko'd, his first professional loss was by tko. Admittedly I haven't seen the fight, so I don't know the circumstances, but according to a quick check on sherdog he lost his first pro fight by tko at WEC 3
MIDDLEEASY
9/5/13 9:57:24PM
Well imo Glover will be fighting Alex, Not Jon.
GDPofMPG
9/6/13 12:17:26PM
The MMA myth of the 'weak chin' is one of the laziest and increasingly trendiest arguments being made in the community. If you eat a clean punch you are pretty much glass joe now, nothing else even matters. So funny.

Jones sounds insecure.

Meh, I'm taking Glover if Jones vs Teixiera is booked.
jjeans
9/6/13 12:32:03PM

Posted by MIDDLEEASY

Well imo Glover will be fighting Alex, Not Jon.

Image Attachment(s):
Photo Attachment 1
Webbie
9/6/13 2:47:20PM

Posted by GDPofMPG

Meh, I'm taking Glover if Jones vs Teixiera is booked.

Make sure and hit me up for an avatar bet when the time comes