Jon Jones: With The Right Fight, I Would Definitely Take A Fight At Heavyweight

MMAPlayground.com » Community » MMA News Share Forum » Jon Jones: With The Right Fight, I Would Definitely Take A Fight At Heavyweight
DCRage
1/11/11 4:57:24PM
And he adds it doesn't have to be a title fight or a Cain Velasquez, but he's thinking about taking the Randy Couture career path at some point. "I kind of like how Randy (Couture) has done it all throughout his MMA career. With the right fight, I would definitely take a fight at heavyweight, but my dreams and my goals are all at the light heavyweight division, and I don't want anything to get twisted saying I want to fight Cain (Velasquez) or any of the top heavyweights. If there was a cool fight stylistically for me at heavyweight, I'd give something to the fans and fight at a bigger weight."

Article
Boo_Radley21
1/11/11 5:08:53PM
I'd like to see him fight Cro Cop or another smaller heavyweight. CC would be an awesome fight for him though. Maybe Nogueira even just because he's on his way out and Jones likes to go to the ground where Nogueira would still have a chance to win the fight in a second.
Twenty20Dollars
1/11/11 5:13:45PM
He's young and just needs to focus on LHW right now. I could see it as a Forrest Griffin thing, as he got older and didnt want to cut weight eventually move up to HW. I think Jones would be super small for HW.
FastKnockout
1/11/11 6:20:02PM
He's young and undefeated, might go to his head sooner or later. There are some interesting matches to make at Heavyweight, but his focus needs to be at Light Heavyweight for now, and he needs to fight a top five fighter in his original division before thinking about moving anywhere.

Look at what happened to Brandon Vera, went undefeated for a while and labeled the next Heavyweight champion, started speaking out about wanting to rule both Heavyweight and Light Heavyweight while calling out Chuck Liddell, and ended up losing all his hype.
tmas
1/11/11 6:29:59PM
umm he is real young walks around about 240, 6'4" has the longest reach in the UFC...and just started lifting weigts to get bigger and stronger this past year.....

he could easily fight at HW he just looks smaller because he is lean and long but he isnt.
Chael_Sonnen
1/11/11 8:30:01PM
Jones should just concentrate on Bader @ 205.....he's starting to sound like a younger Vera.
mattjonesy
1/11/11 8:41:05PM

Posted by Chael_Sonnen

Jones should just concentrate on Bader @ 205.....he's starting to sound like a younger Vera.

Bader isnt exactly the smallest 205er either, He could easily fight at Heavyweight also
State_Champ
1/11/11 8:54:39PM
Jon Jones vs Pat Barry!

EDIT:
Whoa, I do not remember posting this^
sbulldavid
1/11/11 11:50:40PM
I like Jon Jones more and more all the time, no doubt that he's going to truly be great some day,but he's humble and he truly loves fighting and has respect for the sport and the fans, some day he'll be thought of like the Wandy's, Coutures, and Henderson's, a true throwback warrior that just comes to fight.
icantthinkofanything
1/12/11 10:08:05AM
big difference between hw and lhw. sounds like a bad move to me, for now atleast.

This should mean that Jon Jones will fight Anderson Silva, since Silva is 185 and or 205.

That is an interesting fight for me.
cheesy-maggot
1/12/11 5:50:39PM
He's saying that all his goals are at LHW, and that he doesnt have to fight a top guy at heavyweight. He's being pretty humble and realistic IMO.
TS92turbo
2/22/11 6:56:26PM

Posted by Boo_Radley21

I'd like to see him fight Cro Cop or another smaller heavyweight. CC would be an awesome fight for him though. Maybe Nogueira even just because he's on his way out and Jones likes to go to the ground where Nogueira would still have a chance to win the fight in a second.

Cro Cop vs Jones? Hella good.
kingsmasher
4/8/11 12:33:41AM

Posted by cheesy-maggot

He's saying that all his goals are at LHW, and that he doesnt have to fight a top guy at heavyweight. He's being pretty humble and realistic IMO.

Id take Jon Jones and bet hed be -265 at least...same with Nog or Mir...Mirs one of my favorites...Only guy I dont think Jones would beat are

Carwin
Brock
Cain

Why? cause of pure size advantage and the wrestling credentials..I think Cain could weather the storm and bring it to late rounds and win..
MaxOne
4/8/11 3:34:30PM

Posted by Twenty20Dollars

He's young and just needs to focus on LHW right now. I could see it as a Forrest Griffin thing, as he got older and didnt want to cut weight eventually move up to HW. I think Jones would be super small for HW.

He wouldn't be small at heavyweight. He will not be able to make 205 in the future. He has a huge frame. he is the biggest guy at 205 by a longshot. he's bigger than several heavyweights already and he's naturally going to fill in his frame with age. He's a big dude.

He needs to focus on 205 right now but he will end up at heavyweight.
hashyandy4
4/8/11 4:06:05PM
NO!!! i dont want 2 see bones move up, he's got a bunch of good fights at LHW
Rashad, Lyoto, Rampage, Forrest, davis etc. But if he did i would want 2 see him chunk em with Dos Santos. Whoever put that he should fight Mirko is smokin that bomb bomb