Is Jon Jones Too Dominant for Intriguing Title Fights?

MMAPlayground.com » MMA General » UFC Forum » Is Jon Jones Too Dominant for Intriguing Title Fights?
« Previous Page
ncordless
9/30/11 3:39:06PM

Posted by Boo_Radley21

Posted by kingsmasher

Posted by Pookie

I think Finishing Rampage and Shogun is more impressive than Decisioning Fitch, Alves, and Koscheck.

Jones Resume is already more stacked than most of the entire sport.

Does it also beat Fitch, Alves, Koscheck and the Ultimate Dan Hardy? lmao

Whats messed up is the UFC matchmaking imo...im not big on Joe Silva....This Brennaman and Johnson fight...I would ratehr see Johnson on teh shelf and lined up to fight GSP...Then Diaz...Diaz Penn is ridiculous...Penn beats Diaz and then penn gets a shot will be boring....

If Diaz wins this I will be shocked but I would rather see GSP fight more and I am sure he could if given the opportunity...

I agree about Johnson give him some easy wins and a fight with GSP he's a unique style and probably the biggest guy in the division with some of the best striking. Plus he's intimidating and it would definitely be marketable. Hell they should give Johnson the loser of Diaz and Penn. I think he'd whoop on Diaz, Penn would put up more of a fight.

Koscheck vs. Johnson makes me think Anthony has nothing for GSP whatsoever.
Cooler
9/30/11 3:49:08PM
No.

And who would Jones fight anyway? just drop his belt and fight Brock or Reem?
Pookie
9/30/11 4:39:35PM

Posted by ncordless

Posted by Boo_Radley21

Posted by kingsmasher

Posted by Pookie

I think Finishing Rampage and Shogun is more impressive than Decisioning Fitch, Alves, and Koscheck.

Whats messed up is the UFC matchmaking imo...im not big on Joe Silva....This Brennaman and Johnson fight...I would ratehr see Johnson on teh shelf and lined up to fight GSP...Then Diaz...Diaz Penn is ridiculous...Penn beats Diaz and then penn gets a shot will be boring....

If Diaz wins this I will be shocked but I would rather see GSP fight more and I am sure he could if given the opportunity...

I agree about Johnson give him some easy wins and a fight with GSP he's a unique style and probably the biggest guy in the division with some of the best striking. Plus he's intimidating and it would definitely be marketable. Hell they should give Johnson the loser of Diaz and Penn. I think he'd whoop on Diaz, Penn would put up more of a fight.

Im very interested to see how well GSP can take down opponents when they don't have to come within his reach. Normally Gsp switches between two tactics in his fights. Strike on the outside using his longer arms, and Take them down when they attempt to collapse the pocket.

Both of those tactics are severely hindered when he fights someone with a Larger reach than him. I think it's going to be a big test for him, based on the few weaknesses that we can infer about Gsp's style.
bjj1605
10/2/11 9:25:39PM

Posted by ncordless

Posted by Boo_Radley21

Posted by kingsmasher

Posted by Pookie

In order to win that fight Kos had to poke him in the eye, kick him in the nuts, and fake multiple illegal blows.

If they fought 10 times I would pick Anthony 10 times. I thought he showed in that fight that he was the better fighter. Stopped the takedowns and won the striking. Only by resulting to dirty tactics and poor reffing was Kos able to win.
bjj1605
10/2/11 9:34:15PM

Posted by grappler0000

I haven't read the article, but there's a difference between Jones and GSP or Silva. As good as GSP is, he had to climb back up the mountain after slipping down twice. Anderson has shown weaknesses in a couple of his fights...not only that, but has been dominated until he made an amazing comeback. All the credit in the world for winning no matter what...but neither have just ran through the competition like Jones has. Jones dominates the competition in every aspect, just like GSP does, but hasn't really shown that he can be beat. Jones is finishing top talent, just like Anderson, but isn't showing the same chinks in his armor in the process. If GSP hadn't lost to Hughes or Serra, his praise would've come much earlier. If Anderson hadn't almost lost to Travis Lutter, his praise would've been sooner as well...and losing 4.5 rounds to Chael makes him look human again, at least to the right style matchup. Don't get me wrong...I'd still like to see what Rashad, Hendo, and Lyoto can do, but in reality, Lyoto is really the only one bringing something new to the table. I'd say two of his most difficult tests are in the rear-view mirror and he passed with flying colors. On paper, he hasn't earned the praise that he is receiving, but anyone who has watched his fights would be hard-pressed to deny him the credit.

Edit: As far as Davis goes, he easily has 2 years of hard work in front of him before I'd give him a chance against Jones. He has the proper foundation to work from, but hasn't shown the same understanding and mastery of new techniques that Jon has shown.

While I agree with most of what was written here, I'd like to add two caveats:

1) I do not think the Shogun fight can be written off as Jones "passing his test with flying colors." Shogun was not at 100%. I don't intend for that to be an excuse. Its Shogun's job to get in shape to fight and training camps are part of the competitive process. But especially after seeing how effective Rampage was with leg kicks, I'd like to see Shogun fight him again.

2) He hasn't had set backs like GSP nor chinks in his armor like Anderson (although I think those are pretty meager and Anderson still looks pretty damn invincible). However, he also has not been around at the top for long enough to say that those things won't happen.

I want to see him fight Machida. I'd also love to see him fight Anderson.

Bottom line, at this point, there is no way he is "too dominant." There are many many tests yet to come in one of the most competitive divisions in the sport.
Pages: 1 [2]