Someone show Jon Jones some Andy Hug tapes...

MMAPlayground.com » MMA General » UFC Forum » Someone show Jon Jones some Andy Hug tapes...
jiujitsufreak74
2/1/09 3:58:16AM
Jon Jone's unorthodox striking had me on the edge of my seat! now, his grecco slams were also amazing and i would love to see him use those again and again, but his strikes just had my second guessing if i was still awake or not. i mean, a spinning back elbow that lands flush to the head! are you kidding me!?!?!

if someone could just show Jones some Andy Hug tapes, maybe we can see the first successful Hug Tornado used in MMA history
lohmann
2/1/09 4:05:48AM

Posted by jiujitsufreak74

Jon Jone's unorthodox striking had me on the edge of my seat! now, his grecco slams were also amazing and i would love to see him use those again and again, but his strikes just had my second guessing if i was still awake or not. i mean, a spinning back elbow that lands flush to the head! are you kidding me!?!?!

if someone could just show Jones some Andy Hug tapes, maybe we can see the first successful Hug Tornado used in MMA history

RIP Andy Hug's axe kick, we all miss you.
Aether
2/1/09 5:40:43AM
I was actually way more impressed by his takedowns, although I was impressed by both. I think his striking creates a lot of openings that a more technical fighter like Rampage or Machida would just evade and pick apart, but his takedowns were probably the best I've ever seen.

He would just shift his momentum instantaneously from any direction to any other direction and always ended up on top. Bonnar is no slouch either, I've never seen him manhandled so badly. The guy has ridiculous reation time, I think he might rely on it too much though. I think he needs to start training with someone like Greg Jackson who can show him how to sharpen his abilities and focus them with a solid gameplan. Right now I think he has a shitload of potential, but that more technical strikers will be able to take advantage of his style.
Jackelope
2/1/09 10:09:58AM
I agree, Aether. I told a guy last night that those kind of punches are the things you can get away with for awhile, but once people start getting some tape on you they are going to exploit that unorthodox-ness. (For lack of a better word)

Look what happened to Urijah Faber against Mike Brown. That wasn't the first time he ever tried that elbow off the cage, and BAM!
cmb19932
2/1/09 10:18:30AM

Posted by Jackelope

I agree, Aether. I told a guy last night that those kind of punches are the things you can get away with for awhile, but once people start getting some tape on you they are going to exploit that unorthodox-ness. (For lack of a better word)

Look what happened to Urijah Faber against Mike Brown. That wasn't the first time he ever tried that elbow off the cage, and BAM!

well doesn't that theory work with everyone then because unorthodox or not people will get used to your style unless your machida apparently
thelastking
2/1/09 10:29:21AM

Posted by cmb19932

well doesn't that theory work with everyone then because unorthodox or not people will get used to your style unless your machida apparently

No, what i believe he is saying is that jon jones striking left him open to be countered quite a bit although very entertaining he would be picked apart by someone who is a technical striker especially is they get to see a bunch of his fights. If he were a technical striker he would not leave these openings for a another striker to exploit.
Jackelope
2/1/09 10:29:27AM

Posted by cmb19932

Posted by Jackelope

That's true, but the more conservative your style the smaller the holes in your game are. The more unorthodox and wild the bigger they are. It's a risk/reward model basically.

For example- if a guy sticks to clean punches and combinations he will always have his chin tucked into his shoulder and his hands up because that's the way they are designed. However, if a guy attempts spinning elbows and other things of this nature he opens up a weakness. With a spinning elbow the legs cross so obviously that's a weakness for a takedown. In Urijah's case with the spinning elbow he left his chin hanging and Mike Brown touched it.
cmb19932
2/1/09 10:39:57AM
i gotcha i was just playing devils advocate for conversations sake
Jackelope
2/1/09 10:52:28AM

Posted by cmb19932

i gotcha i was just playing devils advocate for conversations sake

NP, I appreciate it!
Franklinfan47
2/1/09 11:14:24AM
I was really impressed with this kid, even though I picked and bet against him. He's only twenty one and beat a long time lhw contender in Stephan Bonnar, he mixes up the strikes and wrestling really well and skies the limit if he can continue to improve.

Cant wait to see him again
tmas
2/1/09 11:52:32AM
what an exciting guy.

That elbow was to the back of the head, and the knee i couldnt get a good view looked like to the head but may have been to the shoulder, if to the head B was on the ground still so that would have been two huge illegal strikes.

The guy is amazing his reach is like 7 feet 1. i thought for sure step was out after the elbow damn he is though i woulda been sleepin like a baby all night.
tmas
2/1/09 11:54:32AM
JJ condition was terrible if he works on that, he will be a champ someday
roadking95th
2/1/09 12:36:10PM
WAR GRECO
Wolfenstein
2/1/09 12:47:14PM
The spinning elbow certainly did land flush...flush on the back of the head. Obviously it happened real fast, and as it cool as it was--definetely an illegal strike.

Those throws were incredible. It was amazing how quickly Jone's was able to shift his weight and attack Bonnar's balance. This guy is going to be huge. That said, he has a lot of work to do in terms of cardio, and refining his defense. If Bonnar had a better gas tank he probably could have put Jone's away. It looked like Bonnar could clinch and uppercut Jones all night--if only there wre some power behind his punches.

To me the fight really came down to Bonnar not being in great shape, and implementing a poor gameplan. By the thrd round, it was pointless to throw body kicks and expend energy on them. He was battering Jone's in the third on the outside, but then he dashes in for a clinch, where he's been getting thrown around all night. You could here his corner screaming, "Get out of there Stephan, back up, back up!" Either he just refused to listen, or he was too gassed to box.

Either way, really impressive performance from Jones. He's going to be a force in a few years, but definetely I think Stephan gave him this fight.
bls1919
2/1/09 2:16:46PM
I called this one from the get go. His wrestling was as much a factor as his stand up. Had him on my parlay even but the judges screwed that for me when they gave guida the nod.
jiujitsufreak74
2/1/09 3:19:51PM
i'm not so sure that elbow was an illegal strike. Frank Mir said that it was in fact legal, but then again Kenny Florian said Babalu had an Anaconda choke on Soko...and we all know how correct that was
tmas
2/1/09 6:04:45PM
any strike to the back of the head is illegal, it was to the back of the head, it wasnt inteded that way but accidents happen.
Amigop
2/1/09 10:44:53PM
Jon jones throws were some of the best greco throws i have ever seen.
he threw i nice lateral drop and almost hit a jap wizzer( almost impossible in mma) and a nice german suplex. his pure greco ability was nearly as good as hendos or coutures.

that being said i was not as impressed with his striking
thefyn
2/2/09 10:26:02AM
I was blown away by that performance. And Bonnar is no slouch standing. Bonnars chin is ridiculous.

That
Div
Is
Insane