Jon Fitch eyes rematch with Georges St. Pierre, won't face teammate to get it

MMAPlayground.com » Community » MMA News Share Forum » Jon Fitch eyes rematch with Georges St. Pierre, won't face teammate to get it
scpd400
7/19/09 2:21:37PM
Fitch lost a unanimous decision to St. Pierre at UFC 87 in August 2008, the welterweight's only loss in 11 trips to the octagon. Two wins since the loss have placed him squarely back in title contention, but there's a slight problem – Fitch's teammate, Mike Swick, is set to face Martin Kampmann in September for a shot at St. Pierre's belt.
Jon Fitch eyes rematch with Georges St. Pierre, won't face teammate to get it
Chuteboxer
7/19/09 2:33:33PM
Maybe it's just me, but I don't see what's so hard about fighting someone who's a friend of yours. I mean, sure, it's an awkward situation, and it makes training difficult, because someone's gonna have to leave the gym and find somewhere else to train for a while, but seriously? I would think that any true fighter wouldn't have a problem fighting his friend. You wanna prove you're the best, you gotta beat the best. So if Swick does somehow win, Fitch is willing to let Swick be declared teh best in the division merely because Fitch doesn't want to fight him?

Am I the only person who feels like this way?
SmileR
7/19/09 3:03:55PM
A lot of people have said they disapprove of teammate vs teammate fights. It's looking more and more likely that at WW its going to have to happen.
Pretty much all of the top WW's train at either AKA, Xtream Couture or ATT. Unless they keep fighting the same people over and over again they'll eventually have to fight a team mate.
Theirs only really Snachez, Larson and Condit who don't really have team mates in the UFC's WW devision.
With GSP kickin as much ass as he has been teammate vs teammate is looking like its either going to have to happen or a lot of people will be switching camps to get a title shot.
nickcuc547
7/19/09 6:01:18PM

Posted by SmileR

A lot of people have said they disapprove of teammate vs teammate fights. It's looking more and more likely that at WW its going to have to happen.
Pretty much all of the top WW's train at either AKA, Xtream Couture or ATT. Unless they keep fighting the same people over and over again they'll eventually have to fight a team mate.
Theirs only really Snachez, Larson and Condit who don't really have team mates in the UFC's WW devision.
With GSP kickin as much ass as he has been teammate vs teammate is looking like its either going to have to happen or a lot of people will be switching camps to get a title shot.

agree 100%, i'm sure i wouldn't want to fight my training partner either but when there are multiple guys who train together at the top of a division it's going to have to happen. the ufc has stayed away from it so far but I don't see how much longer they can get away with it, especially at ww where aka has three top 10 guys. somebody is going to draw the short straw, it may suck for them but it has to happen.
prozacnation1978
7/19/09 7:53:17PM
i would fight my brother to get a shot at a belt
what is fitch's goal?? to be a gatekeeper?? go for the belt man,
wrona666
7/19/09 8:31:19PM
Fitch does not have the tools to beat GSP anyway........Alves had the perfect style to beat GSP which is excellent striker with good takedown defence, and we all saw what happened to Alves......The only way George is going to lose in this division is by a flash KO like what happened with Serra......No one is going to dominate GSP in any aspect of the game......
bojangalz
7/19/09 8:58:39PM
I'm not sure how I feel about friends fighting. At the end of the day I really just want to see the best fighters across the cage from eachother. But I can very easily understand where these guys are coming from.

I figured that Fitch would make the perfect title defence for Alves if he were to upset GSP. But the more I look at it, I think it's time for that rematch regardless of the fact that Alves lost. Otherwise Fitch will have a pretty long wait for his title shot if he's got to get in line behind the winner of Swick/Kampmann. And I'm not sure who else you could pit against him that would be considered a step up from the guys he's beat recently (maybe Larson or Kampmann if he loses; but that's about it).

It's pretty obvious that Alves and Fitch are #2-3 at 170. They both just fought on the same card, so the training cycle is identical for both. Alves gets a chance at redemption from the first fight, and Fitch gets the chance for a win against the biggest threat in the division (outside of the champ of course). If Fitch wins, he's got his title shot. If Alves wins, he can take on the loser of Swich/Kampmann and be one win away from another shot at the belt after that.

The timing seams right to put that fight together. And for the record I'll have Alves by decision when the dust settles.
finnish_line
7/20/09 10:21:34AM

Let's see one of them actually win the belt. I think the rest would be singing a different tune then.
Rush
7/20/09 11:07:48AM

Posted by finnish_line

Let's see one of them actually win the belt. I think the rest would be singing a different tune then.

Bingo!
NatedawgThaM
7/20/09 11:43:57PM
I definitely think an Alves rematch would be perfect right now since Thiago could easily jump right back to the front of the line rather then start fresh with a gatekeeper. Would love to see Kampman mess Swick up and then fight Fitch after Fitch beats Alves which would put Fitch right there. But I'd also like to see Fitch wait a little longer with more fights just so itd boost everybody elses confidence that hes definitely still poses a huge threat and has a chance in the fight. Would have loved to see Kos rematch him if he just would have finished off Paulo since I think hes definitely looked close to being ready. Shitty, want both Kos and Fitch to rematch GSP. Wud love either of them to dethrone em which I think they def could!