Jon Fitch vs. Erick Silva Set for UFC 153

MMAPlayground.com » Community » MMA News Share Forum » Jon Fitch vs. Erick Silva Set for UFC 153
BuffaloDave
7/30/12 9:33:04PM
Jon Fitch will draw one of the UFC's top young guns in his next outing.

The longtime welterweight contender is set to square off with Brazilian Erick Silva at UFC 153, MMA Fighting's Ariel Helwani has learned. Sources with knowledge of the situation confirmed the two had verbally agreed to the pairing.

Fitch was supposed to face Aaron Simpson in July, only to be forced out after suffering a knee injury. The setback apparently won't keep him on the shelf long. Upon returning, Fitch will be attempting to win for the first time in three fights. At UFC 127, he fought to a draw with B.J. Penn, and in his follow-up match at UFC 141, he was knocked out by Johny Hendricks, marking the first time he had been finished since 2002.

LINK
Shawn91111
7/30/12 9:33:47PM
talk about a huge step up for Silva.
BuffaloDave
7/30/12 9:34:54PM
In the words of the Legend in my Av, This will show if Silva is the real.
shaneTpain
7/30/12 9:43:23PM
Wowwwwwwwwwwwwww excellent fight
FastKnockout
7/30/12 9:49:57PM

Posted by BuffaloDave

IMO Silva proved his hype against Brennamen but Fitch is a huge test for anyone.
Budgellism
7/30/12 9:53:50PM
Woah. I would have never predicted this fight.

I think Fitch comes in hungry and wins a UD. This fight being in Brazil worries me a little bit though.
BuffaloDave
7/30/12 10:00:25PM

Posted by FastKnockout

Posted by BuffaloDave

IMO Silva proved his hype against Brennamen but Fitch is a huge test for anyone.

I can get behind that, beating Fitch will just cement it then.
infestructure
7/30/12 10:04:07PM

Posted by BuffaloDave

Posted by FastKnockout

Posted by BuffaloDave

I can get behind that, beating Fitch will just cement it then.

Agreed. A loss to Fitch is not bad, and a win over Fitch will catapult him into title contention talks. Fitch may be a human blanket but he's one hell of a gatekeeper.
prophecy033
7/30/12 10:09:38PM

Posted by Budgellism

Woah. I would have never predicted this fight.

I think Fitch comes in hungry and wins a UD. This fight being in Brazil worries me a little bit though.

Both have something to prove....Silva that he belongs and Fitch that his last fight was a glitch
JLS1980
7/30/12 10:32:00PM
I hope this match happens. What a card! Looks like the best card on paper
of the year. Now if we can get Daniel Sarafian against Ferreira. That would be sweet.

Oct 13, Rio de Janeiro, Brazil
- Jose Aldo vs. Erik Koch [fw title]
- Vitor Belfort vs. Alan Belcher
- Glover Teixeira vs. Quinton "Rampage" Jackson
-Jon Fitch vs. Erick Silva
- Rony "Jason" Mariano Bezerra vs. Sam Sicilia
- Cezar "Mutante" Ferreira vs. TBA
- Sergio Moraes vs. Renee Forte
- Cristiano Marcello vs. Reza Madadi
- Diego Brandao vs. Joey Gambino

tallica62
7/30/12 10:32:05PM
Silva is a beast...be wary of anyone with the last name of Silva
GSPCanada
7/30/12 10:37:44PM
i like this fight. by no means am i saying silva will win but fitch can't just lay there and grind out a decision, he is really going to have to fight
meier
7/30/12 10:37:59PM
Oct 13, Rio de Janeiro, Brazil
- Zuluzinho vs. Elvis Sinosic (main event)
- Jose Aldo vs. Erik Koch [fw title]
- Vitor Belfort vs. Alan Belcher
- Glover Teixeira vs. Quinton "Rampage" Jackson
-Jon Fitch vs. Erick Silva
- Rony "Jason" Mariano Bezerra vs. Sam Sicilia
- Cezar "Mutante" Ferreira vs. TBA(James Thompson)
- Sergio Moraes vs. Renee Forte
- Cristiano Marcello vs. Reza Madadi
- Diego Brandao vs. Joey Gambino
Aether
7/30/12 10:39:34PM
I think Silva is future champion material, he's still relatively young, but this is probably too big of a jump in competition, too soon for him.
prophecy033
7/30/12 10:56:26PM

Posted by Aether

I think Silva is future champion material, he's still relatively young, but this is probably too big of a jump in competition, too soon for him.

Like Hughes/GSP 1. Although GSP was winning he wasn't strong mentally and tapped without knowing there was 1 second left till the end of the round
ghandikush
7/30/12 11:21:13PM
Hoping to get rid of Fitches name value with a dangerous striker lacking a mainstream name?
Michael_Corleone
7/30/12 11:31:18PM
WAR ERICK SILVA!!!!!
prozacnation1978
7/31/12 12:09:49AM
Sick fight. Fitch probably wanted this
meier
7/31/12 1:04:17AM
This will be a statement for both... erik(to prove takedown defense)...fitch(to prove striking defense)
sparky
7/31/12 5:49:35AM
Ill be rooting for Silva but I think its a bit to soon to be facing a guy like Jon Fitch, I say Fitch takes the decision
Budgellism
7/31/12 6:41:35AM

Posted by prophecy033

Posted by Aether

Like Hughes/GSP 1. Although GSP was winning he wasn't strong mentally and tapped without knowing there was 1 second left till the end of the round

Agreed, although I feel that's truly the moment where GSP went from good prospect to future star. Hopefully this can be Silva's moment.
TerrorofsesameST
7/31/12 6:15:31PM
I wouldn't say a huge step for Silva...this is going to be a tough fight for Fitch. Erick Silva and Rory are the next big things in the 170 division.
Bubbles
8/2/12 7:36:05PM

Posted by tallica62

Silva is a beast...be wary of anyone with the last name of Silva

Giant Silva p4p #1