Jon Fitch vs. Demian Maia added to February's UFC 156 event

MMAPlayground.com » Community » MMA News Share Forum » Jon Fitch vs. Demian Maia added to February's UFC 156 event
Shawn91111
11/15/12 9:02:25PM
A welterweight matchup between perennial contender Jon Fitch (24-4-1 MMA, 14-2-1 UFC) and Brazilian submission ace Demian Maia (17-4 MMA, 8-4 UFC) is the latest addition to February's UFC 156 event.

UFC officials today announced the new contest.

Featuring a featherweight title fight between current champ Jose Aldo and former lightweight title holder Frankie Edgar, UFC 156 takes place Feb. 2 at Mandalay Bay Events Center in Las Vegas. The evening's main card airs on pay-per-view.

Maia currently boasts a two-fight win streak after downing Rick Story at this past month's UFC 153 event in Rio de Janeiro and earning a bizarre TKO victory over Dong Hyun Kim at July's UFC 148 fight card in Las Vegas. The two victories came after a disappointing 1-2 run that included losses to Chris Weidman and Mark Munoz.

Maia is a Fabio Gurgel black belt and former world champion jiu-jitsu player who one ea. However, his recent win over Story marked Maia's first submission win since a 2009 tapout victory over Chael Sonnen.

LINK
Poor_Franklin
11/15/12 9:06:11PM
woohoo!
Budgellism
11/15/12 9:11:01PM
Great fight

I wonder if Maia can be the first to sub Fitch. Should be entertaining regardless.

This card is ridiculous right now btw
airkerma
11/15/12 9:17:56PM
This is an awesome fight. According to my mmath maia should win this one.
sparky
11/15/12 9:33:17PM
Looks like Maia got what he asked for, not to sure I think thats a good thing at this point though. Fitch may be a bit to much for Maia in the wrestling department. My head says Fitch UD but my heart is hoping Maia pulls this one off.
JLS1980
11/15/12 9:51:12PM
This card is shaping up nicely. As long as the fights that have been announced all stay together the Main Card should be all set.

Aldo vs Edgar
Machida vs Hendo
Overeem vs Bigfoot Silva
Rashad Evans vs Lil Nog
and Fitch vs Maia

That is very solid right there. That should be 2 very stacked UFC PPV's in a row with this and UFC 155.
prophecy033
11/15/12 9:55:48PM
Should be a interesting grappling match
sparky
11/15/12 9:56:00PM

Posted by JLS1980

This card is shaping up nicely. As long as the fights that have been announced all stay together the Main Card should be all set.

Aldo vs Edgar
Machida vs Hendo
Overeem vs Bigfoot Silva
Rashad Evans vs Lil Nog
and Fitch vs Maia

That is very solid right there. That should be 2 very stacked UFC PPV's in a row with this and UFC 155.

I've heard Hendo/Machida isnt going to be on that card anymore I completely forget where I heard it though
JLS1980
11/15/12 10:03:37PM
I seen the same thing Sparky about the Machida and Hnderson fight not making this card. I don't remember where I seen it at either.
Well with Fitch vs Maia being added that definitely helps things out. I also see Fitch being too much for Maia and winning a Decision here.
Still a good fight IMO, very good match making and this should be a very entertaining scrap.
SmileR
11/15/12 10:06:32PM
Fitch via domination!! I'll throw my Av on the line I'm so confident!!
isk
11/15/12 10:48:18PM
War on this matchup. Folks have been asking for it for a while, and it totally makes sense. Each are coming off of wins, each is different enough to make it interesting while similar enough in the right ways.

Maia is tough as nails, and he's huge at 170. Fitch may take this, but I seriously doubt he'll be able to dominate as he did against Silva.
sbulldavid
11/16/12 12:00:01AM
Great match making I love this grappling match-up, Fitch probably gets submitted or finally gets a finish.
aussiemma
11/16/12 3:51:51AM
this is fucking awesome !!!!!!!!

biggest fight of next year for me so far...
aussiemma
11/16/12 3:54:34AM

Posted by SmileR

no way !!! ill take that bet
prozacnation1978
11/16/12 7:53:19AM
Very nice
Plus Erick Silva on the card

Hendo vs machida will happen on Ufc 157
Bubbles
11/16/12 8:43:21AM
my pants:
BigBadAl
11/16/12 8:50:33AM
Great fight. Could go either way.

Maia is definitely good enough to get the sub and Fitch is definitely good enough to smother him for the whole fight whilst avoiding the sub.

If I had to put money on it though I'd go for Fitch.
SmileR
11/16/12 10:23:44AM

Posted by aussiemma

Posted by SmileR

no way !!! ill take that bet

You are on, sir. Just send me the bet when the fights been added!
fullerene
11/16/12 1:19:19PM
Great fight. The real test is for Maia IMO. Is he strong enough at 170 to get takedowns against good wrestlers? Can he sub wrestlers with good jiu-jitsu training (i.e. not Chael Sonnen) off of his back? If not, is his "improved kickboxing" really improved enough to beat the more well-rounded wrestlers who he can't take down or submit?

I think Fitch is really the sword of truth for any hyped WW, whether it is a guy with supposedly great striking (like Alves and E. Silva) or great submissions (like Penn, Sanchez or T. Silva), Fitch will find out just how real those skills are. He puts everybody in the spot they don't want to be in and he tends to suffocate all but the best, whether it's standing or, more often, on top of them on the ground. Then again, there is an upside to fighting him....if Maia wins he instantly becomes a credible threat for a title.
Samps
11/16/12 1:31:03PM
BuffaloDave
11/16/12 4:05:04PM

Posted by Bubbles

my pants:

airkerma
11/16/12 5:18:42PM

Posted by Bubbles

my pants:

why are your pants made from pinocchio
frizzzlecake
11/16/12 5:42:21PM
K-1 Maia.
icantthinkofanything
11/17/12 11:27:20AM
Somebody will get submitted that night, but it won't be in this fight. Is Maia good off his back? I don't think so, not many bb's are. Fitch could win by a brutal display of leg humping also known as "Fartcz-ing"