Jon Fitch Calls B.J. Penn a 'Coward,' Says He's Not Welcome at AKA

MMAPlayground.com » Community » MMA News Share Forum » Jon Fitch Calls B.J. Penn a 'Coward,' Says He's Not Welcome at AKA
Next Page »
prophecy033
8/8/12 8:36:49PM
Jon Fitch clearly still wants a rematch with B.J. Penn. And he doesn't want the future UFC Hall of Famer anywhere near the American Kickboxing Academy gym.

The veteran welterweight is scheduled to face up-and-coming star Erick Silva at UFC 153 in Brazil on Oct. 13, but the San Jose, Calif.-based fighter wants another crack at the former UFC lightweight and welterweight champion, whom he fought to a majority draw in 2011.

On Tuesday, Fitch used a conference call designed to push AKA's new "Fight Factory" reality series on Nuvo TV to dog Penn, calling him a "coward."

Link
prophecy033
8/8/12 8:38:34PM
"Here at AKA, we've got fighters who come out to fight, fighters who will face anyone and don't hide from any opponents. You've also got cowards out there like B.J. Penn who say they want to fight people, but then they run and hide."

hmmmm.....you sure about that Jonny?
telnights
8/8/12 8:40:12PM
WOW I guess Jon sets the rules at AKA. He is not helping the image of his camp at all by doing this.
MALICE
8/8/12 8:45:07PM
Is it just me or has the drama, accusations, name-calling, call-outs, etc. reached an all time high in mma?
prophecy033
8/8/12 8:48:00PM

Posted by MALICE

Is it just me or has the drama, accusations, name-calling, call-outs, etc. reached an all time high in mma?

Yeah, it has. I wish they would just get back to shutting up and just letting their fists and feet do the talking. Some of it is entertaining tho
fonduktoe
8/8/12 9:01:52PM
yeah penn is notorious for ducking people.gimme a break...fitch just made himself look like an elitist douche.
hymiekooken
8/8/12 9:10:01PM
I have pulled against Penn in almost all of his fights, so lets just say I am not a fan of his. But Penn is definitely not a coward. He has fought top level competition in almost every fight I have watched. Mabye Fitch has something personal against him, but after this, would love to see a rematch between the two. And for the first time ever, I will be pulling for Penn and hoping he bashes Jon's face in.
george112
8/8/12 9:16:35PM
I'm disappointed in Fitch. When he says things like that he's no better then what he's saying someone else is

make the fight happen. Bj isn't a punk he'll throwdown with Fitch and it's Fitch that is gonna have to hope bj doesn't come with conviction. Never underestimate a former champ. Yeah they may not fight at the same level as they once did but all they need is that one night of being on their game and their dangerous. Ex. Couture
emfleek
8/8/12 9:27:09PM
Though I don't necessarily agree with Jon's statement, I will say that he's not totally wrong. He's been publicly lobbying for a rematch since the 1st fight took place. BJ, at one point, was all about it until he got offered the Condit fight that never ended up happening. Jon has stated numerous times that he wants the rematch...BJ seems to ignore it.

He only wants "big" fights and fights that "make sense". Well, depending on who you are, this may or may not be a "big" fight but you can't tell me or convince me that it doesn't make sense.
FastKnockout
8/8/12 9:38:36PM
People hate Jon Fitch and his style, that's the only reason they side with Penn.

The way I see it, Fitch won the first fight but it was ruled a draw in a bout where B.J gassed and ended up being dominated the entire third round. B.J not only congratulated Fitch, but even went on to state Fitch won the fight in a moment of humbleness. Rematch was offered, both accepted, fight fell through. Guess what happens? B.J starts running his mouth saying he won the first fight and goes on to bash Fitch a number of times. What does Fitch do? He calls B.J out to reschedule the rematch but B.J turns it down. I can fully understand why Fitch doesn't like the guy.

As far as the camp goes, a lot of them are run as a brotherhood. They share sweat, tears, and blood. They are family, a family B.J deserted long ago. Why let someone who left back in who will cause tension within the team?
Bubbles
8/8/12 10:24:47PM

Posted by fonduktoe

yeah penn is notorious for ducking people.gimme a break...fitch just made himself look like an elitist douche.

he recently has refused to fight Koscheck and Fitch (again), and I think he turned down a fight with Melendez in SF.
prozacnation1978
8/8/12 10:25:09PM
Jon gets what he wants he has gym Senority
infestructure
8/8/12 10:33:09PM

Posted by FastKnockout

People hate Jon Fitch and his style, that's the only reason they side with Penn.

The way I see it, Fitch won the first fight but it was ruled a draw in a bout where B.J gassed and ended up being dominated the entire third round. B.J not only congratulated Fitch, but even went on to state Fitch won the fight in a moment of humbleness. Rematch was offered, both accepted, fight fell through. Guess what happens? B.J starts running his mouth saying he won the first fight and goes on to bash Fitch a number of times. What does Fitch do? He calls B.J out to reschedule the rematch but B.J turns it down. I can fully understand why Fitch doesn't like the guy.

As far as the camp goes, a lot of them are run as a brotherhood. They share sweat, tears, and blood. They are family, a family B.J deserted long ago. Why let someone who left back in who will cause tension within the team?

^^This exactly
MALICE
8/8/12 10:43:54PM
Penn is not the champ. Penn is not near a title shot. He is not even on a title run. There is a difference between a champ picking his fights, a potential contender picking his fights, and a legend near the end of their career picking his fights.

IMO, if you are on a title run, you fight anyone they put in front of you until you are deserving of that title shot. If you are the champ, you fight the toughest contenders who have earned a title shot. Penn may only have a few more fights in his career. If you were at the end of your career, would you want to fight someone you have already fought who is considered by many to be a boring fighter, or would you look for more exciting matchups?

Some fighters would never think twice about turning down a single fight. Some fighters may want to have a say in their last fights. Anyone who believes Penn is a coward is just plain foolish. Stubborn, spoiled maybe, but not a coward.
Bubbles
8/8/12 11:05:59PM

Posted by MALICE

If you were at the end of your career, would you want to fight someone you have already fought who is considered by many to be a boring fighter, or would you look for more exciting matchups?

their last fight was fairly entertaining as it was basically a grappling match between 2 of the best in the division. Penn gassing after 8 minutes made the fight end less spectacular than what it should have been but overall it wasnt terrible, though definitely not main event worthy

People would tune in to watch Penn fight, and they would also tune in to hopefully watch Fitch lose 2 fights in a row to put him way down the WW ladder. Fitch isn't content with a draw on his record, but maybe Penn is considering how bad he got beat in the last half of the fight.
MALICE
8/8/12 11:19:40PM

Posted by Bubbles
their last fight was fairly entertaining as it was basically a grappling match between 2 of the best in the division. Penn gassing after 8 minutes made the fight end less spectacular than what it should have been but overall it wasnt terrible, though definitely not main event worthy

People would tune in to watch Penn fight, and they would also tune in to hopefully watch Fitch lose 2 fights in a row to put him way down the WW ladder. Fitch isn't content with a draw on his record, but maybe Penn is considering how bad he got beat in the last half of the fight.

I can't begin to imagine what Penn's reasons are for turning down Fitch and Bahadurzada, but I know Fitch calling calling Penn a coward lacks class and is not how a professional should present a challenge.

I would enjoy watching the fight. Even more so now that Fitch has made this absurd comment. So, I guess Fitch's comment worked, but I still don't think Penn will accept the challenge.
tcunningham
8/8/12 11:30:11PM
lost some respect for fitch on this one. last time i checked, a coward doesnt move up a weight class and take titles or have majority draws with number one contenders. BJ is close to the end of his career, he has nothing to prove and fitch has everything to prove especially after that loss to hendricks.
Adrenaline
8/9/12 1:20:49AM

Posted by Bubbles

Posted by fonduktoe

he recently has refused to fight Koscheck and Fitch (again), and I think he turned down a fight with Melendez in SF.

Because he was contemplating permanent retirement maybe? I believe you are the same guy that said "well it doesn't count becuase he didn't hold an official press conference" . Doesn't matter, he stated after the fight with Diaz and multiple times in the media afterwards that he was done for a while. I don't blame him for turning down Meledez, he was semi retired, it would have been a downgrade, and he would have to cut to 155, he wanted to stay at 170. It's hilarious that you use examples that are toward the twilight of his career but don't mention that he has literally fought everyone and anyone at any weight class throughout his career.

Pookie
8/9/12 1:38:09AM
I like Fitch more as a Heel.
Chael_Sonnen
8/9/12 1:43:42AM
Riddle me this Batman - - - why would Beej want to go back to AKA in the first place

Fitch is still a tad groggy from getting merked by Hendricks.
Bubbles
8/9/12 6:40:33AM

Posted by Adrenaline

Because he was contemplating permanent retirement maybe? I believe you are the same guy that said "well it doesn't count becuase he didn't hold an official press conference" . Doesn't matter, he stated after the fight with Diaz and multiple times in the media afterwards that he was done for a while. I don't blame him for turning down Meledez, he was semi retired, it would have been a downgrade, and he would have to cut to 155, he wanted to stay at 170. It's hilarious that you use examples that are toward the twilight of his career but don't mention that he has literally fought everyone and anyone at any weight class throughout his career.

I never said that, but I don't believe a fighter has retired until papers are signed or he is gone for a long time. Penn at 33 is towards the end of his prime years, not at his twilight. People called Diaz a bitch and pussy and coward after "retiring" after a "loss" to Condit, but yet Penn got no such treatment. If Penn was truly retired, he wouldnt have accepted Rory's challenge less than a month after turning down Koscheck. Melendez is a consensus top 5 LW, arguable top 3 so how is that a step down? If he wants to stay a WW where he is chubby and cant last for 10 minutes, then that's his call. Hand picking opponents is a form of cowardness imo. Four WW's have called out Penn within the span of a couple months (Fitch, Kos, Rory, Siyar)...I'll let you come up with why he chose Rory

I am using recent examples because those are relevant to the discussion, not what he did 7-8 years ago.
icantthinkofanything
8/9/12 6:52:26AM
IT makes sense to Fitch, but if BJ is gonna retire again, everyone wants to see him against a dynamic well rounded fighter with a name or looking for a name like Condit or Rory. If I were a similiar fighter to fitch I would lay and prey, but I would train my ass off to be well rounded also.
lohmann
8/9/12 7:20:15AM

Posted by Bubbles

Hand picking opponents is a form of cowardness imo.

I tend to believe no fighter is a coward. Some are a bit dense, some are a bit stubborn, some are a bit flaky, but rarely are any literally scared to fight somebody. Penn is like any other human being when it comes to the business of dollars and sense, and I think most of us, if given the amount of options Penn has for what might be his last fight, would want to handpick it in a way that pleases us in the most ways possible. Fitch and Koscheck are obviously good opponents that are coming off losses and layoffs; Siyar is a newcomer with little name recognition (and no added value to Penn's wallet); Melendez fights in Strikeforce. Rory MacDonald is an interesting fight for Penn because he can face the GSP demons while making a buck.

I think Penn has acted like a spoiled child plenty of times in the past but not because of any cowardice he may possess.
Goatenstein
8/9/12 10:18:16AM
You could say laying on someone and not trying to finish is cowardly. I personally don't believe any fighters are cowards, lots of hypocrites though.
meier
8/9/12 11:25:10AM
Fitch is trying to bait bj into a rematch that simple
Bubbles
8/9/12 11:31:53AM

Posted by lohmann

I tend to believe no fighter is a coward. Some are a bit dense, some are a bit stubborn, some are a bit flaky, but rarely are any literally scared to fight somebody. Penn is like any other human being when it comes to the business of dollars and sense, and I think most of us, if given the amount of options Penn has for what might be his last fight, would want to handpick it in a way that pleases us in the most ways possible. Fitch and Koscheck are obviously good opponents that are coming off losses and layoffs; Siyar is a newcomer with little name recognition (and no added value to Penn's wallet); Melendez fights in Strikeforce. Rory MacDonald is an interesting fight for Penn because he can face the GSP demons while making a buck.

I think Penn has acted like a spoiled child plenty of times in the past but not because of any cowardice he may possess.

I dont think Penn is a coward, but turning down fights vs top opponents gives the impression that he is afraid of losing to these guys...which is unlike what we have seen over the years. Penn is going to get paid regardless who or where he fights, and it may be the highest or 2nd highest paycheque on the card (next to a main event fighter) so I don't buy that reason. As said for other guys, Penn is a fighter and should fight whoever they throw infront of him...especially having 1 win in his last 5 fights.

I just seems like Penn has already conceded defeat to Fitch when he could easily win the fight if he comes in shape and can last longer than 8 minutes. Penn can also pick apart Koscheck with his boxing and TDD. Against Melendez, he can use his offensive wrestling and submit him.
Dberntson
8/9/12 1:09:05PM
The problem is that the fighters see other fighters getting rewarded by Dana in getting the big fights they want by calling people out. Look what happened to Lyota. He's been calling out Bones and now he is the number one contender. Dana said this is because he wanted it more than Shoguan. So what are fighters to do. They have to call out those ahead of them to try to get the fights to move their carreer along. Some fighters are better at it then others. Fitch is in the latter category. Not the best smack talker.
telnights
8/9/12 3:08:06PM
Penn can chose who he does and doesn't want to fight at this point, he has earned that. Last time I checked Penn fought everyone they put in front of him. Penn was also able to do something Fitch will never do and that's hold a belt in the UFC. But Penn took it one step further by holding a belt in not just one weight division but two of them. Fitch calling him a coward and not wanting for him to train at AKA is childish. Fitch wants to call someone out how about one of the top 10 WWs.
Wolfenstein
8/9/12 4:00:22PM
Say what you will about Penn--lacks cardio, has never lived up to his potential...but he's no coward. He's fought guys with huge size differentials, even almost beat Lyoto Machida back in the day.

Obviously Fitch has been at AKA a long time, but I don't understand where he gets off deciding who can and can't train at the AKA gym. That's like one of my friends saying people aren't welcome at my house.

Found the comment about how AKA fighters will fight anyone humorous, since Dana has been pushing for Fitch to fight Kos since time out of mind.
Bubbles
8/9/12 5:07:47PM

Posted by Wolfenstein
Found the comment about how AKA fighters will fight anyone humorous, since Dana has been pushing for Fitch to fight Kos since time out of mind.

there's a difference between fighting your best friend and training partner and fighting some guy you may never have shook hands with
Pages: [1] 2