No Joke-Silva Wants To Box

MMAPlayground.com » Community » MMA News Share Forum » No Joke-Silva Wants To Box
DCRage
3/11/08 6:45:55AM
It's more than just talk-UFC Middleweight Champion Anderson Silva does want to fight Roy Jones Jr. in a boxing match according to Silva's manager. Whether or not it actually happens is yet to be seen.

Article
whardin19
3/11/08 7:03:03AM
Silva must be insane! Getting in the ring for a BOXING match with Roy Jones Jr. would be a mistake. Silva has got to remember that he can't kick in a BOXING ring. I'm not sure what he's thinking here. Although I'd probably pay to watch it because I think it would be intresting. Silva would get owned Roy Jones Jr. is a professional BOXER. Anderson Silva is not.
owen1
3/11/08 7:21:30AM

Posted by whardin19

Silva must be insane! Getting in the ring for a BOXING match with Roy Jones Jr. would be a mistake. Silva has got to remember that he can't kick in a BOXING ring. I'm not sure what he's thinking here. Although I'd probably pay to watch it because I think it would be intresting. Silva would get owned Roy Jones Jr. is a professional BOXER. Anderson Silva is not.

Ya i agree.Silva would have some skills in the ring but Roy has been fighting for too long for anybody to just walk into the sport and beat him.
SmileR
3/11/08 9:39:45AM
Man i hope to god he doesn't follow this through.
It's basically the same as what Mayweather said but reversed!
Silva is as close to a untouchable MW MMA fighter you can get but in a boxing ring he would get tooled!

I know he has exceptional striking for MMA he has to remember all boxers do is train on punching.... Thats it. No BJJ,MT, Wrestling or anything else.
Silva wouldn't make it past the 3rd in my opinion. Just like Jones Jr wouldn't make it out the first if he came to MMA.
disorderlyvision
3/11/08 12:24:43PM

Posted by SmileR

Silva is as close to a untouchable MW MMA fighter you can get but in a boxing ring he would get tooled!

I know he has exceptional striking for MMA he has to remember all boxers do is train on punching.... Thats it. No BJJ,MT, Wrestling or anything else.
Silva wouldn't make it past the 3rd in my opinion. Just like Jones Jr wouldn't make it out the first if he came to MMA.

the third round? please! he may or may not lose on points but he sure as hell isnt getting knocked out with the pillows boxers wear on their hands. silva can take a shot.
Sir_Karl
3/11/08 12:52:12PM
I would love to see a Mixed Martial Artist beat a Boxer at their own game.
Especially someone of Roy Jones caliber.
On the other hand though I must say..."we" know you are the best Anderson...but come back to Earth.
His head is like a hot air balloon...and every victory inflates it more...taking him farther away.
The masses will roar when he finally goes down.

Kpro
3/11/08 4:03:03PM
I would love to see this win or lose. His performance alone would do him credit especially if many people think he'd be knocked out in the first few rounds by a pillow.
189lber
3/11/08 4:26:16PM
What ever happened to the mayweather deal? Talking shit then he bails and goes to WWE! Silva is a fantastic fighter but i don't know if he has much without his nasty knees he throws. But on the otherhand Roy Jones is starting to get old and maybe losing it. It would be interesting.
JimiMak
3/11/08 4:42:21PM
Andersen has good standup skills and a long reach for his size. I think he could keep it interesting for a good while, maybe all the way to a dec. As long as he did that I think he'd get a lot of respect just for lasting. But he's a champ and needs to worry about his next fight.
jakeiceman
3/11/08 7:52:12PM
This would be interesting but honestly speaking, Anderson would not make it much past the first round. Whether you are on the MMA bandwagon or are being dragged behind the Boxing wagon, you really cannot deny that proffessional boxers are the best at what they do. Comparing boxing striking to that in MMA is just not practical. And I boxed my whole life, those aren't pillows they are throwing around they hurt, and they hurt like hell. I am a much much much bigger fan of MMA and would really root for Silva, but even I have to admit that Silva could not hang with someone of Jone's calibre. Like everyone has said its two different worlds and the same would go for every boxer trying to take Silva in the Octagon. If it happens (which is not likely) this would not make it much past the first unless Silva was able to dance around alot. But I think it would end with a "pillow" beating sometime very early in the fight.
SmileR
3/11/08 8:12:18PM

Posted by disorderlyvision

the third round? please! he may or may not lose on points but he sure as hell isnt getting knocked out with the pillows boxers wear on their hands. silva can take a shot.

Are you serious?!
Boxers train to knock people out! With Boxing gloves on or not Jones Jr could KO anyone with a good punch. He knows how to look for openings and capitalize on them.
I have been boxing since i was 12 or 13 an know how hard you can get punched with MMA gloves and Boxing gloves. I'll tell you now I'd rater get hit with MMA gloves by someone who hasn't trained specifically in Boxing than take a punch from someone who has with Boxing gloves on.
Regardless of if he has a chin like Hendo or not it still only takes 25 pound of pressure on the chin to fold anyone an professional boxers at MW punch with around 250 pound of pressure in each hit!

Silva would NOT last more than 3 rounds in a boxing match with Jones Jr. He is regarded as one of the all time greats of boxing for a reason.
Silva would be out of his element and out classed in a boxing ring. Their is no way this fight would go to a decision. Just like their is no way Jones Jr would take Silva to a decision in a MMA fight.

Silva is with out doubt the best MW in MMA today but I think this would be a massive mistake to step into a boxing ring with a fighter of Jones's caliber under his rules!

Let the boxers come to a MMA fight an see how they last! Not the other way around. Boxing has everything to prove now.
It was once seen as the most exciting sport in the world with the toughest competitors. Now MMA has arrived it looks one dimensional and anyone can see a MMA fighter against a Boxer 9 times out of 10 the MMA fighter takes this!

cmill21
3/11/08 8:22:31PM

Posted by SmileR

Have you ever been hit by a boxing glove? Lol if your calling them pillows I don't think you have, they are acctually pretty damn hard.
cspecial
3/11/08 8:22:38PM
all i have to say is that i've been a Silva hater for a long time now... i do give him props... he cant' be touched in the sorryest division in the ufc. but that is what it is.... maybe he aughta make sure he's the best P4P fighter in MMA first. Go ahead and drop weight and fight GSP.... hell, move up weight and fight eh.... anyone. then go outside and do your boxing or you're WWE stuff ok brother?
SmileR
3/11/08 8:35:00PM

Posted by cmill21

Posted by SmileR

Have you ever been hit by a boxing glove? Lol if your calling them pillows I don't think you have, they are acctually pretty damn hard.

My point exactly man! Props to you sir!
Pookie
3/11/08 8:40:51PM
I think its a vast underestimate of silva's skills if you think hed be knocked out in the first round.

Look who Silva trains with, big nog and lil nog both are the calibre of brazils Olympic boxing team.

Then look at Silva evolution as a fighter, his punches are his deadliest tools.

I dont think he would win against jones, but jones is not the fighter he once was and has shown susceptibility to longer leaner punchers. I.E. Tarver.

cmill21
3/11/08 8:45:45PM

Posted by Pookie

I think its a vast underestimate of silva's skills if you think hed be knocked out in the first round.

Look who Silva trains with, big nog and lil nog both are the calibre of brazils Olympic boxing team.

I dont think he would win against jones, but jones is not the fighter he once was and has shown susceptibility to longer leaner punchers. I.E. Tarver.

I just think due to hand position, foot work, and all the differences between boxing and other striking arts would be a bit much to overcome. I would like to see it, but I think Silva would go down in 5. He has pin point punches but it's alot harder to hit a guy through the boxing gloves then it is with the mma gloves.
SmileR
3/11/08 10:17:10PM

Posted by cmill21

Posted by Pookie

I just think due to hand position, foot work, and all the differences between boxing and other striking arts would be a bit much to overcome. I would like to see it, but I think Silva would go down in 5. He has pin point punches but it's alot harder to hit a guy through the boxing gloves then it is with the mma gloves.

This is what i love about the Playground man! People have actual discussions rater than just trading insults over the keyboard

You're right man! Silva's striking wouldn't look as clean and precise in boxing gloves. A lot f the shots that he sticks through the guard or around the side could be easily blocked with the bigger gloves. He'd also have to rase his guard and move a hell of a lot more.

I'v no doubt in my mind that Jones would be startled at how good Silva's striking is but Jones hits like a train and i doubt Silva could match him in the technical department as well. The main reason Jones has won belts in the MW, SMW, LHW and HW is because he has a awesome technique.

Although he does train with the Nog brothers and they are good boxers he's going to be entering a world where he's be fighting the elite.

I don't want to come across as a Silva hater because i really am not but in boxing, he wouldn't last past the 3rd.
Dastardly1
3/11/08 10:46:05PM

Posted by SmileR

He will lose on points and could easily be knocked out by Jones Jr. The gloves might be bigger, but he not gonna take a few shots to the head then take him down or throw knees on the inside. he's going to be defending against a Pro throwing 70-90 punches per round at him for 10 rounds. he probably hasn't been hit with that many punches in his last 5 fights. I can't wait to see this play out.
disorderlyvision
3/11/08 11:36:07PM
how do you know, anything can happen in a fight. and if boxing gloves hurt so much maybe silva would knock out roy jones. silva does hit hard. silva is a very technical striker, and do any of you know what his actual skill in boxing is? it quit possible he trains/has trained boxing. i think you all are underestimating silva. and nobody knows what would happen until it actually does. i personally think it would atleast go to the late rounds. and saying that silva would get knocked out in the first or third round just because roy jones is a boxer and anderson isnt a professional boxer is naive. silva is a professional fighter and a very good one i think he would hold his own just fine. many mma fighters have fought in amature/professional boxing matches for training stand up. jens pulver is one i can think of off the top of my head.
dwt_lok
3/12/08 12:20:08AM
Say what you want, Silva is a champion and wants a challange, god knows he is not getting it in the UFC right now.......
balack_o-bama
3/16/08 4:00:00PM

Posted by whardin19

Silva would get owned Roy Jones Jr. is a professional BOXER. Anderson Silva is not.

He was before, and he will be as soon as he signs the contract.

If this fight happens I fear for both of their lives. Jones Jr. would either mame him.

The other option is the one I am going with.
Jones is rocking Andy when the Spider instinctively goes for the Death Clinch and unleashes unprecidented knees to the liver and nose that makes Silva franklin look like nothing more than a few bruises.
Ben_Hutch
3/16/08 4:45:12PM
this will never happen