Johny Hendricks: “Boxing is not my strong point, my jiu-jitsu is better”

MMAPlayground.com » Community » MMA News Share Forum » Johny Hendricks: “Boxing is not my strong point, my jiu-jitsu is better”
jjeans
11/26/12 1:57:14PM
Bold statement from the Collegiate wrestler turned knockout machine. UFC 154 marked Johny Hendricks’ fifth straight victory in the octagon, with three by way of knockout. Hendricks has now placed himself in the number one spot for a title shot, which he feels he is more than ready for.

“That’s why I laugh when people say ‘we’ve figured out your left hand.’ My boxing isn’t my strong point. It’s something I’ve only been doing for five years; I’ve only been striking for five years. I’ve done wrestling my whole entire life,” Hendricks told MMAWeekly Radio. “So if anybody’s going to say anything, wrestling is my strong point. I feel my jiu-jitsu is better than my hands.”

LINK
airkerma
11/26/12 2:15:25PM
Better hope so, because GSP puts people on their backs once in a while.
tcunningham
11/26/12 3:59:07PM
the thing about a guy like hendricks is, he's got so much power and very few people in the world of MMA will ever out wrestle and control him, he'll always be dangerous to everybody as long as he retains that power. i dont see him KO'ing GSP if/when they fight, but GSP has to respect that wild left hand.
Dberntson
11/26/12 5:02:20PM
He's little Hendo. Good to know the H Bomb will live on once Dan retires.
State_Champ
11/26/12 5:32:59PM

Posted by Dberntson

He's little Hendo....

No. Not until he wins belts in two weight classes.... Though not necessarily simultaneously, that's just an unreasonable standard.
Dberntson
11/26/12 5:45:45PM

Posted by State_Champ

Posted by Dberntson

He's little Hendo....

No. Not until he wins belts in two weight classes.... Though not necessarily simultaneously, that's just an unreasonable standard.

True word. He will never be the real deal Hendo, but he does pack one hell of a punch.
Bubbles
11/26/12 5:47:19PM

Posted by State_Champ

Posted by Dberntson

He's little Hendo....

Little Chuck?
bjj1605
11/26/12 7:13:25PM
I call bull shit.

People say stuff like this because they want to be SEEN as multidimensional. If his jiu jitsu was that good we would see it more.

He is trying to psych out his opponents: "Shit, if I can't stand with this guy and I can't take him down, what am I going to do?"

It won't work with GSP. His only chance in that fight would be a one-hitter-quitter.
Chael_Sonnen
11/26/12 8:35:29PM
If Johny MMA tells me his Jiu-Jitsu is better than his boxing, I believe him....

If Johny MMA tells me he will finish GSP by the end of the countdown show, I believe him...
george112
11/26/12 9:03:16PM

Posted by Chael_Sonnen

If Johny MMA tells me his Jiu-Jitsu is better than his boxing, I believe him....

If Johny MMA tells me he will finish GSP by the end of the countdown show, I believe him...

Word
kingsmasher
11/26/12 11:13:00PM
I think GSP can beat Hendricks with his jab and wont need to take it to the ground....
UFC_Fanatic
11/27/12 12:21:35AM

Posted by kingsmasher

I think GSP can beat Hendricks with his jab and wont need to take it to the ground....

Maybe, but that seems like an approach that would be way too much like play with fire. I wouldn't want to give Hendricks a full 25 minutes to try and take my head off. I'd try to mix it up and keep him guessing to make him hesitate to pull the trigger. 25 minutes is a long time to try and avoid that ridiculous kind of power.
cowcatcher
11/27/12 3:42:06AM
I'll believe it when I see it Johny. Like someone said earlier, we'll find out once GSP puts him on his back.
BigBadAl
11/27/12 5:32:42AM
His very close and somewhat debatable decision win over Kos, his decision win against Pierce and his decision loss against Story tells me that GSP is going to wrestlefuck him at will.
hotrodttt
11/27/12 5:59:11AM
He trained bjj with Marc Laimon for a while and Robert Drysdale, I remember watching something a long time ago and his bjj is surprisingly good.
babalu46
11/27/12 8:14:20AM
I believe this statement becauseI personally don't think his boxing technique wise is all that good he just has absolute dynamite in his hands.
40ouncetofreedom
11/27/12 8:35:51AM
He's also one of the most decorated collegiate wrestlers in MMA.You don't win national championships at OK State for nothing.If Hendricks actually trains his wrestling i think it'll be interesting with GSP.Obviously most fighters don't like being on their backs and GSP took some lumps on his from Condit now if Hendricks with his power and wrestling background unlike Condit gets GSP on his back...Could be a world of shit Mr.GSP.

But kinda weak to debate now......Hendricks will probably have another fight due to super fights
bjj1605
11/27/12 9:31:11AM

Posted by UFC_Fanatic

Posted by kingsmasher

Maybe, but that seems like an approach that would be way too much like play with fire. I wouldn't want to give Hendricks a full 25 minutes to try and take my head off. I'd try to mix it up and keep him guessing to make him hesitate to pull the trigger. 25 minutes is a long time to try and avoid that ridiculous kind of power.

This.

GSP isn't the kind of guy who tries to beat his opponents at their strength. He plays to their weakness. Johny's strength is his stand up so we can expect GSP to avoid that. That's the whole point of this statement, to get in GSP's head and make him think a grappling centered gameplan is equally dangerous.

Posted by hotrodttt

He trained bjj with Marc Laimon for a while and Robert Drysdale, I remember watching something a long time ago and his bjj is surprisingly good.

Surprisingly good I believe, better than his stand up I don't buy.

His stand up has the potential to end a fight in an instant. I doubt his jiujitsu has the same sort of dynamism.
kingsmasher
11/27/12 10:09:27AM

Posted by BigBadAl

His very close and somewhat debatable decision win over Kos, his decision win against Pierce and his decision loss against Story tells me that GSP is going to wrestlefuck him at will.

I believe this too....GSP will have a significant reach and after a few Jabs...Hendricks will go down...

Even thoug he beat Fitch I think Fitch would beat Hendricks the next five times in a row...

Ok he has a left hand...need way more than that for GSP....
jjeans
11/27/12 10:47:59AM

Posted by kingsmasher

Posted by BigBadAl

I believe this too....GSP will have a significant reach and after a few Jabs...Hendricks will go down...

Even thoug he beat Fitch I think Fitch would beat Hendricks the next five times in a row...

Serra has a left hand and beat GSP
bjj1605
11/27/12 11:48:30AM

Posted by jjeans

Posted by kingsmasher

I, in fact, have both a left AND a right hand. I also have the corresponding number of feet.

I should be able to defeat him easily.
jjeans
11/27/12 3:51:38PM

Posted by bjj1605

Posted by jjeans

Posted by kingsmasher

I, in fact, have both a left AND a right hand. I also have the corresponding number of feet.

I should be able to defeat him easily.

Well you need more than a left. So maybe 1 extra limb covers the need. The rest are just want desires?
sbulldavid
11/27/12 11:45:36PM
Hendricks looks like he battles nerves at times, I think a title fight with GSP would be too much for him the first time around. That is however pure TNT in that left hand, but GSP probably never lets him stand for more than one swing.
JLS1980
11/28/12 11:01:50AM
Hendricks Jitz is not the shit. Never seen him use it. And GSP is gonna take him down and do the GSP thinag. Yeah you know what I'm talking about.