Johnson not ready to rumble with GSP

MMAPlayground.com » Community » MMA News Share Forum » Johnson not ready to rumble with GSP
MMAcca
2/9/09 1:16:58AM
You have to be pretty good nine fights into your career for fans to be calling for you to fight Georges St. Pierre, or those same fans are just morons. In the case of the Anthony Johnson, the reason is somewhere in between. It's way too early for Johnson to get a shot at the welterweight champ especially considering he's also one of the top three guys in the Yahoo! Sports' pound-for-pound rankings. That said, "Rumble" Johnson does appear to have the game, that could turn him into a top five welterweight.

LINK
decken
2/9/09 1:20:27AM
Good to see he has his head on straight. Here is the Link again because it is hard to click on in the original post.
MMAcca
2/9/09 1:23:30AM

Posted by decken

Good to see he has his head on straight. Here is the Link again because it is hard to click on in the original post.

Fixed
lohmann
2/9/09 2:08:11AM
A good fight to lose is the one against common sense.

Way to go, Rumble.
xphycorx
2/9/09 3:55:50AM
three guys that have really impressed me in the last couple weeks: anthony johnson, jon jones, and joe lauzon. i think all three have very bright futures. also let me give an honorable mention to cain velasquez. i already knew how impressive he was..
Aether
2/9/09 7:28:58AM

Posted by decken

Hi, nice avatar. lol.

I realized last week that it's completely random where the link will appear in the post for people who do not have premium accounts because of the fact that ads appear inside of the margins of the post and alter the layout of the text.

If it's hard to click you can just hit refresh, a different ad should load and the link should appear in a different location, making it easier to click. It doesn't really matter where he puts it, because the ad can make it appear in different places.
shevtheman
2/9/09 9:05:29AM

Posted by xphycorx

three guys that have really impressed me in the last couple weeks: anthony johnson, jon jones, and joe lauzon. i think all three have very bright futures. also let me give an honorable mention to cain velasquez. i already knew how impressive he was..

completely agre with this, standouts have been anthony johnson and jon jones for me (ive always liked lauzon, other than his awful nickname hes a great fighter). watching johnsons last 3 performances alone shows he can be the real deal if he goes about this the correct way. jon jones though really impressed me against bonnar how he threw him about was amazing. i hope he moves to jacksons submission or someone like that to take it to the next level. future looks good.
postman
2/9/09 9:30:50AM
I knew after his win Title fight talks would start. Glad to see he knows hes not ready and is going to take the proper approach. Now who to put him in the cage with next? Heres my list of a few names:

Hazelett
Paul Kelly if he beats Mandalozin
McCory if he beats Madigan
Winner of Condit Kampmann

These guys might be a step above but not out of the question for IMO
Davis
Swick
Kos

snakeplissken
2/9/09 3:09:04PM

Posted by postman

I knew after his win Title fight talks would start. Glad to see he knows hes not ready and is going to take the proper approach. Now who to put him in the cage with next? Heres my list of a few names:

Hazelett
Paul Kelly if he beats Mandalozin
McCory if he beats Madigan
Winner of Condit Kampmann

These guys might be a step above but not out of the question for IMO
Davis
Swick
Kos

Throughout the fight I was thinking Kos should be next for Rumble, although a fight with Davis would be a great slugfest.
Wolfenstein
2/9/09 3:51:48PM
It seems like Johnsn has a pretty honest assessment of where he stands. That's something a lot of fighters can't do--be it pride or whatever.

Somewhere down the line I think he definetely has the athleticism to compete with GSP, but he just needs to continue to improve in all facets of his game because at this point I don't think he is stronger than GSP in any one area.

I like that he's training with Cung Le rather than just finding a top notch Muay Thai coach. I think that will only help further seperate him from other fighters as he'll always be bringing something a little different than most other fighters. That will force other fighters to alter their training in preparation for a very different fighter.
bls1919
2/9/09 5:10:13PM
Johnson is a very grounded guy it seems. I would love to see him fight the winner of Condit/Kampman. He has really impressed me with his ability to keep it standing.
SpiderSilva
2/9/09 7:39:16PM
holy crap would I love to see Rumble vs Swick