John Maguire plans return to middleweight following UFC 154 loss to Matt Riddle

MMAPlayground.com » Community » MMA News Share Forum » John Maguire plans return to middleweight following UFC 154 loss to Matt Riddle
FastKnockout
11/19/12 11:54:14AM
After dropping his second straight fight, John Maguire is changing weight classes.

The British fighter will return to middleweight after a nearly three-year run at welterweight following his Saturday loss to Matt Riddle at UFC 154. Maguire on Sunday announced the news on his Twitter account.

UFC 154 took place at Bell Centre in Montreal. Maguire's fight against Riddle streamed live on Facebook.

LINK
sparky
11/19/12 12:17:44PM
If Maguire is going up to MW in the UFC, he wont be around very long. I see the UFC's MW division being way to much for Maguire. He looked to small for WW in his last 2 fights never mind MW .
JLS1980
11/19/12 12:55:47PM
Seems like Maguire would have considered Lightweight over Middleweight. I agree he probably only has about one more fight until he gets cut.
airkerma
11/19/12 1:23:33PM
The only move he should be making is to a lighter weight class. MW will not treat him well.
infestructure
11/19/12 3:01:32PM

Posted by JLS1980

Seems like Maguire would have considered Lightweight over Middleweight. I agree he probably only has about one more fight until he gets cut.

Maybe it's a typo. But agreed, he's gonna get ragdolled if he does not go down a weightclass
BuffaloDave
11/19/12 4:01:30PM
I'm with the rest of you, if he was having trouble with the Welter Weights, going back up a class, where the fighters are even stronger, isn't going to help him, he definitely wasn't looking drawn out or anything fighting at WW, I just don't see how this will better him.

Goatenstein
11/19/12 4:19:23PM
It tells me that the dude just doesn't have the discipline to be a UFC fighter. The guys he beat at 185 in merry old England aren't even regional contenders. The ones that were beat him. Too bad too because he's got some skills.
tallica62
11/19/12 4:38:52PM
At 5 foot 9 or 10, that's going to be tough to be competitive. You really need to be a mankiller beast to do that...and I don't think he is. I think he'd be better off at LW than MW
BeeR
11/19/12 7:19:32PM
I really like Maguire, but WTF are you thinking?
you're losing to MWs who cut to WW, and out size you and you think you're going to fare well against even bigger guys?

shaneTpain
11/19/12 7:50:27PM
I must be reading this wrong.. dude is on a losing streak so he's moving UP a weight ?? Where is his coach or his crew telling him that this is a stupid idea?