John Maguire drops to lightweight, faces Mitch Clarke at UFC 161

MMAPlayground.com » Community » MMA News Share Forum » John Maguire drops to lightweight, faces Mitch Clarke at UFC 161
Budgellism
3/12/13 4:31:07PM
British fighter John Maguire (18-5 MMA, 2-2 UFC) will make the move to lightweight and take on Canadian 155-pounder Mitch Clarke (9-2 MMA, 0-2 UFC) at UFC 161.

The Canadian Press first reported the matchup, and UFC officials later confirmed the booking.

Featuring an interim bantamweight title fight between current champ Renan Barao and top contender Eddie Wineland, UFC 161 takes place June 15 at MTS Centre in Winnipeg, Manitoba, Canada. The evening's main card airs on pay-per-view following prelims on FX and Facebook.

The positioning of the Clark vs. Maguire matchup was not revealed but is expected for the evening's preliminary card.

LINK
prozacnation1978
3/12/13 6:09:18PM
Macquire will win this
DrivenDavies15
3/12/13 6:11:27PM
Surprised Clarke is given a third chance.
Maguire scared me a bit when he said a couple months ago that he was going to move back to middleweight but I guess he came to his sense and realized lightweight makes way more sense.
He should be able to do what he wants here
Chael_Sonnen
3/12/13 7:00:19PM
Smart move dropping to 55....smarter move training with Uncle ChaCha's
Image Attachment(s):
Photo Attachment 1
airkerma
3/13/13 9:58:17AM
Awesome, I've been a fan of his since his insane debut fight. I'm much happier about this LW move instead of the initial talks of MW.
Lungsofsteel
3/13/13 11:26:37PM
Mitch Clarke will smash John Maguire. Sticking up for the only fighter from Sask. to make it to the UFC.
JLS1980
3/14/13 1:47:05AM

Posted by DrivenDavies15

Surprised Clarke is given a third chance.
Maguire scared me a bit when he said a couple months ago that he was going to move back to middleweight but I guess he came to his sense and realized lightweight makes way more sense.
He should be able to do what he wants here

I remember hearing that he was going to move back to Middleweight after his last loss ( I believe it was to Matt Riddle) I think. My first reaction was this must be a misprint because MaGuire didn't look in the greatest physic at Welterweight let alone Middleweight. Lightweight (155lbs) seems to be the weight to best suit him. The loser of this fight might find themselves on their way out of the UFC.

Another fight to trim the fat, unless for some bizarre reason they put on some sort of epic fight, which I doubt.
bootyclause
3/14/13 6:21:27AM
Why not just cut 10 of these guys who make 6 grand and keep Jon Fitch so you can pay him his "expensive" 60 grand salary. Makes no sense.