John Hackleman: "We like him at light heavyweight"

MMAPlayground.com » MMA General » UFC Forum » John Hackleman: "We like him at light heavyweight"
4u2nv
12/5/08 10:31:18AM
Pit Boss John Hackleman held an online chat and answered a bunch of questions for fans.

Quote:
On who he'd like to see Chuck face next...

"Forrest Griffin!"

"We like him at light heavyweight. We don't see a reason to go up to heavyweight right now. He could still make light heavy pretty easy."

"As far as names, I can't really talk about names. I would rather fight Randy I guess because of the relationship with Silva and his management, but I don't see either fight being productive for anybody involved."

On Chuck training with ATT and whether or not he's become too one-dimensional...

"Yeah, you learn something new wherever you train. He's always cross-trained and had people come in. He will definitely learn from Liborio and Matt."

"No...He does go for power punching, but he does throw combinations. But once in awhile, he does get overzealous. He was in the middle of a combo when he got knocked out agaisnt Rashad."

His predictions for Wanderlei-Rampage, Griffin-Evans and Henderson-Franklin...

"That's a tough one. I'll go with Rampage."

"Sh!t, I dont know? I'll have to go with Griffin."

"Dan Henderson, but not as solid in him as if it was at 185, but he will still pull it off."
More in the full transcript...

http://www.fighthype.com/pages/content3933.html
aaa9erh8er
12/5/08 12:45:42PM
good find and good read.
Twenty20Dollars
12/5/08 1:02:57PM
Yeah stay at LHW
browneye
12/5/08 1:54:09PM
I would have rather seen Chuck fight Forrest it would have been more exciting but no offense to Chuck but he got his ass layed out
theguido
12/5/08 2:28:34PM
Yeah maybe when all of his options are out then maybe go to HW but untill then the LHW is f_ckin stacked with good competition.
Pitbull09
12/5/08 4:16:58PM
Right now, I think the Couture fight is best for Chuck. The LHW division is getting taken over by younger fighters like Forrest, Thiago, Rashad, and Machida. Liddel, Wanderlei, and Rampage are on their way out considering title shot wise and the only real good fights they have left are against each other.
Wanderlei/Liddell 2
Couture/Liddel 4
Those are the best matchups he has left IMO
GrandMaster313
12/5/08 6:20:02PM
I don't think Chuck deserves to fight Forrest with his last performance against Evans. Even if Rashad beats Forrest i think Wandy or Cane gets a shot or more importantly Machida gets a shot. Well Machida should get the next title shot regardless so i might take him out of the picture. Wandy or Cane for sure should fight loser of Evans/Griffin.
mrsmiley
12/5/08 8:08:52PM
I think a change of scenery will be good for Chuck when it comes to training.
Though it might be a little much a little too late.
LHW is just stacked with a lot of bad dudes wanting to make a statement,and at this point in Chucks career I really don't know what else he has to prove.

I think what Chuck needs to actualy do,for lack of a better term,is fight a "can".
Why?
I think seeing Chuck take on a B class fighter would really show us where he is at this point in the fight game.If he can come out and win big,then maybe LHW is too stacked and he should move to HW.
However,if Liddell comes out and looks lackluster against a can,or even loses,
I say he hangs his gloves up and enjoys a nice retirement..
GrandMaster313
12/5/08 8:27:26PM
You would think a guy who has been around for such a long time in the UFC would be more versatile at his game, however he still is pretty much a 1 dimensional fighter. He needs to start trying to take people down work on submissions and improve on sharp striking skills unlike his looping power punches.
sparky
12/6/08 9:09:37AM

Posted by GrandMaster313

You would think a guy who has been around for such a long time in the UFC would be more versatile at his game, however he still is pretty much a 1 dimensional fighter. He needs to start trying to take people down work on submissions and improve on sharp striking skills unlike his looping power punches.

Liddell strated his ufc career wrestling people down and beat on them. He didnt fully develop the power striking style until a little later in his ufc career. I think once he realized what he could do with strikes he threw the whole wrestling idea away and started using it as defense instead of offense. I think he believes his best chance at beating the opponent is on his feet. And in my opinion he would be right. He just needs to tighten his punches up and throw more kicks maybe shoot for a takedown every once in awhile let people know that he has the ability to take them down. He needs to not throw reckless power punches and he can work his way back up.