Joey Villasenor replaces Ninja Rua against Phil Baroni on May 31

MMAPlayground.com » Community » MMA News Share Forum » Joey Villasenor replaces Ninja Rua against Phil Baroni on May 31
grappler0000
4/16/08 11:59:56PM
The same day Elite XC issued a press release that the main card was set for “Saturday Night Fights” on CBS we already have a change in the line up.

Murilo “Ninja” Rua has been scratched for the show at the Prudential Center in Newark, N.J., on May 31 and has been replaced with Joey Villasenor (25-6) who will tangle with Phil Baroni (10-9) in a 185-pound scrap.

No reason was given for the switch.

Link
grappler0000
4/17/08 12:01:38AM
Whoever had "Less that 24 hours" in the "How long before the card changes" pool takes the cash!
Twenty20Dollars
4/17/08 12:12:36AM
i had no idea phil was 10-9 ouch, i hope joey pulls up the upset but it should be a solid striking fight.
jiujitsufreak74
4/17/08 12:26:03AM

Posted by grappler0000

Whoever had "Less that 24 hours" in the "How long before the card changes" pool takes the cash!

i was just about to say...and so it begins. this is getting ridiculous, you would think after their last card collapsed before our eyes that they would be more careful for their public television debut...guess not.

btw i had 1 week...i guess i gave them too much credit
rabbit915
4/17/08 12:33:32AM
Honestly, i think this was to keep the fight a stand-up affair. They seem to be pushing stand-up wars on this card and Ninja was likely to take it to the ground because he has an advantage on the ground.

Also, i think Baroni was much more marketable than Ninja was to a casual audience. They could pick up a huge group of people from New York if he won. It sucks but its true.
prozacnation1978
4/17/08 1:21:17AM
i heard for tv prime time fighters had to agree on contract extensions, i heard noons turned it down, maybe ninja turned down the contract and ex elite pulled him out
RMFG_187
4/17/08 1:29:43AM
Im starting to lose my patience with these Rua Brothers.
F--K_Luck_AuH2O
4/17/08 2:22:13AM
LMAO...I win
jgtribbett
4/17/08 6:48:09AM
haha, damn... this really pissed me off.. i wanted to see ninja and baroni..
CornishMMA
4/17/08 8:07:14AM
Damn if anything this is worse for the NYBA cos Joey has a better chin and cardio, Phil needs to land early or have better cardio otherwise i see Joey ftw
DCRage
4/17/08 10:24:11AM

Posted by grappler0000

The same day Elite XC issued a press release that the main card was set for “Saturday Night Fights” on CBS we already have a change in the line up.

Murilo “Ninja” Rua has been scratched for the show at the Prudential Center in Newark, N.J., on May 31 and has been replaced with Joey Villasenor (25-6) who will tangle with Phil Baroni (10-9) in a 185-pound scrap.

No reason was given for the switch.

Link

Sherdog says the reason for the switch was concerns stemming from results of an MRI Rua had done.
coldchillin
4/17/08 11:57:38AM
Baroni is still going to lose... Baroni might be able to test his chin but Villasenor has a stronger skill-set than he does and I see that playing out through the fight. Baroni will gas as usual and Villasenor will easily win the last two rounds if Baroni can't knock him out right away... Villasenor easily beat Loiseua who is a more dangerous striker than Baroni. I doubt Villasenor is the underdog here.
disorderlyvision
4/17/08 12:08:54PM
guess ninja didn't want to be turned into sushi and eaten
Jackelope
4/17/08 2:04:01PM
I dunno, I think Baroni has the much heavier hands here. Villasenor has great striking skills, but I think Baroni's hands are > Villasenor's chin. The first round of this will be a great fight I think.