Joey Beltran Released From The UFC

MMAPlayground.com » Community » MMA News Share Forum » Joey Beltran Released From The UFC
Next Page »
FastKnockout
2/1/12 5:49:33PM
As told to FightersOnly magazine by none other than Joey Beltran himself, it appears that the UFC has released “The Mexicutioner” following his first round “kickstand KO” (Props to Stak40 for coining the term) loss to Lavar Johnson at UFC on Fox 2. The loss was Beltran’s fourth in his last five outings.

LINK
BeeR
2/1/12 5:52:22PM
Fuck that.

Joey B has the potential to be the HW Chris Lytle.
(fight rating wise, I know he'll never be as skilled)
Love watching him scrap win or lose
Budgellism
2/1/12 5:54:58PM
I'm always down for a Joey Beltran fight.
calitrees
2/1/12 6:04:58PM
He should drop down to 205 and take the Bellator lightheavyweight title
BuffaloDave
2/1/12 6:07:28PM
Wouldn't be surprised if Pro Elite scoops him up, let him get back on the winning streak against Timmy or AA.
DrivenDavies15
2/1/12 6:09:00PM
sad day
jjeans
2/1/12 6:15:20PM

Posted by BuffaloDave

Wouldn't be surprised if Pro Elite scoops him up, let him get back on the winning streak against Timmy or AA.

Beltran vs AA would be a nice fight IMO
BigCountryFedor
2/1/12 6:37:52PM
He needs to drop to 205, asap.

He'll be back in the UFC. Most likely at 205 or not at all
shaneTpain
2/1/12 6:38:41PM
Funny I thought Beltran would always be in the UFC to welcome rookies into the heavyweight division
Bubbles
2/1/12 6:42:29PM
i thought him dropping 20-25 lbs was to make a drop to LHW. this sucks! he always brings it, which is supposed to keep you around a bit longer if you get in a funk like this

- Matt Brown
- Dan Hardy
- Wanderlei
- Keith Jardine
- Pat Barry
- Joe Stevenson
Poor_Franklin
2/1/12 7:02:39PM
very disappointed that the ufc didnt give him a fight at lhw before dropping him.

Travesty145
2/1/12 7:10:17PM
this is for the best. he was a really tough guy but i just dont think he has the skill to be in the ufc
tmas
2/1/12 8:22:19PM
eh kinda sucks i like the guy, seems like a nice guy and a entertaining figher i was really looking foward to his next fight at 205 to see if that helped. He lost the weight took one last fight at HW and then they all said his next fight was at 205. i think the UFC should have given him one chance against MOR LHW and if he lost cut em.
Bubbles
2/1/12 8:31:38PM

Posted by tmas

eh kinda sucks i like the guy, seems like a nice guy and a entertaining figher i was really looking foward to his next fight at 205 to see if that helped. He lost the weight took one last fight at HW and then they all said his next fight was at 205. i think the UFC should have given him one chance against MOR LHW and if he lost cut em.

Beltran vs Vera...why not make that?
Sir_Karl
2/1/12 8:35:17PM
I like Beltran. He is a warrior for sure. I think the reasoning behind his cut has to do with the fact of how he got beaten and who beat him. The guy is known for having a granite chin....yet a "tomato can" knocked him effortlessly, quickly and decisively. He needs to get into better shape, maybe drop to 205 where he would be better suited, pick up a few wins in the minors and just maybe the UFC will resign him.
Lesnar1
2/1/12 8:52:32PM
DAMN! that's shit, Beltrans 1 of the most exciting fighters to watch, hope he'll make it back to the ufc 1 day possibly at LHW.
bjj1605
2/1/12 8:52:56PM

Posted by Sir_Karl

I like Beltran. He is a warrior for sure. I think the reasoning behind his cut has to do with the fact of how he got beaten and who beat him. The guy is known for having a granite chin....yet a "tomato can" knocked him effortlessly, quickly and decisively. He needs to get into better shape, maybe drop to 205 where he would be better suited, pick up a few wins in the minors and just maybe the UFC will resign him.

Ya, I was very surprised when he lost.

I really thought he had that fight in the bag.
Jesse_Canadian_MMA
2/1/12 10:50:40PM
I'm down with this cut
Bubbles
2/1/12 11:20:33PM

Posted by Sir_Karl

did you call JDS a "tomato can" after he knocked out Werdum? now im not saying that Lavar will become the next champion but the parallel is there
BeeR
2/2/12 6:08:56AM
Yeah, ive never seen a ''can" throw bombs like that.
yeah, he may have a long ways to go, but any HW would have been dropped by those jackhammers, Carwin doesnt even throw like that.
emfleek
2/2/12 8:45:35AM
This sucks. Hopefully Joey *doesn't* end up in Bellator. I'd like to see him go somewhere like ProElite and rack up a couple wins while continuing to drop to 205 and (hopefully) make his way back to the UFC.
gartface
2/2/12 8:58:18AM

Posted by emfleek

This sucks. Hopefully Joey *doesn't* end up in Bellator. I'd like to see him go somewhere like ProElite and rack up a couple wins while continuing to drop to 205 and (hopefully) make his way back to the UFC.

Same. I hate how the tournament format ties fighters up.
tmas
2/2/12 9:47:24PM

Posted by Bubbles

Posted by tmas

Beltran vs Vera...why not make that?

love that idea
Aether
2/2/12 11:29:34PM
Sure, he's exciting and all, but there's a limit to how much rope the UFC can give exciting fighters and losing 4 of 5 is about as far as that rope stretches, especially with back to back losses against guys making their UFC debut.

I'm sure he'll be back at some point like many others have said, preferably at 205.
ncordless
2/3/12 1:09:18AM
Beltran will be fine. He will either get some comparable paydays for Bellator or get some fights in the B leagues. If he goes Bellator and wins, he could make more money than he ever did in the UFC. If he goes B league and wins, he should be back in the UFC sooner than later.

It is one of the realities of having more divisions and higher costs per fighter due to the health insurance, the more guys are going to get bumped. Often it can be good for their careers to take a step down in competition and work their game, get some wins, some confidence, and get their game right.

Beltran will be around for a while. He is a solid HW/LHW.
cowcatcher
2/3/12 11:59:36AM

Posted by emfleek

As much as I'd like to see Bellator succeed, more and more fans are going to think this same thing when fighters get released by the UFC. In the end that tells me that they need to scrap the format now that they have a fan base, and move on like the rest of the organizations out there. It was a great way to generate interest, but it keeps champions on the bench too long, and keeps the talent pool too shallow.
lohmann
2/3/12 12:12:08PM
Beltran had a crack against the middle of the division and went 0-2 and lost to Mitrione and Barry. When he was relegated to the gate as the UFC started expanding the size of its heavyweight division, he went 1-2 against UFC newcomers.

He's exciting, and I think the UFC realized that by granting him more opportunities than they tend to hand out to people on the roster. But he wasn't able to capitalize, despite his ability to entertain.

I'm sure he'll be a good pickup for some organization out there, who will put use him in the same way: as a fighter that can make boring fighters watchable and make good fighters exciting. I'll have fun watching him wherever he lands.
emfleek
2/3/12 12:14:25PM

Posted by cowcatcher

As much as I'd like to see Bellator succeed, more and more fans are going to think this same thing when fighters get released by the UFC. In the end that tells me that they need to scrap the format now that they have a fan base, and move on like the rest of the organizations out there. It was a great way to generate interest, but it keeps champions on the bench too long, and keeps the talent pool too shallow.

Not to mention the non-title fights that the champs end up taking to stay active while the tournaments pan out.
Boo_Radley21
2/5/12 8:49:43PM
This is disappointing that fight with Aaron Rosa was kickass
Kpro
2/7/12 9:30:38PM
With the weight-cutting issues the UFC has had to endure recently they may want to see him succesfully cut to 205 a time or two before letting him fight. They could've just told him "go fight once or twice at 205 and see how you handle the cut". The UFC really isn't a spot to test a cut for the first time unless you're a big name, winning often, have made the cut before earlier in your career, etc. He just dropped down to within 23 pounds of LHW so if he has no experience cutting, he may still want to lose another 10. I think if he wins his next 1-2 and healthily makes 205 he'll be back.

Sinosic was what 1-6 in the UFC? If people think you put on a good show or the UFC think's you're a good stepping stone for some of their prospects, you'll be back.
Pages: [1] 2