Joe Sylva

MMAPlayground.com » MMA General » General MMA Talk » Joe Sylva
POLL: How would you like to be Joe Sylva?
Pissed, too many upsets and too many fighters 0% (0)
Ticked, few upsets making job tough 0% (0)
Undecided 27% (4)
Pleased, giving the fans something new to look forward to 20% (3)
Estatic, YES! I love picking these unique matchups 53% (8)
PeteD
6/15/07 1:22:01AM
What do you guys think of Joe Sylva? He's putting some interesting fights together that are are turning out some interesting results.

With all the upsets though, I do not envy him. They've already started planning 5 events ahead of the upcoming card. At least the UFC is keeping him busy.
cowcatcher
6/15/07 1:30:49AM
after saturday every card hes putting together looks good so far, all this talent is in his lap now, i cant wait to see who the next gen of stars he puts in there are.....i think we may have already seen a few guys that are up and comers who will hold titles
pv3Hpv3p
6/15/07 2:23:56PM
I think he's doing a good job... After years of all of the best fighters being split betweeen Pride and the UFC, he finally has all the talent he could dream for at his disposal... I think he does a good job of weighing in the less popular matches with the big time names... Within the next year we are going to start seeing a lot of the fights that we could only dream about a year ago.

The way I look at it, is that it's pretty easy to pick who you'd want to see fight who, but there has to be a balance to it, and he's doing a good job of keeping the balance, for the most part
NME
6/15/07 4:14:32PM
My only...not even complaint, but (very) minor issue is that it seems to me that many of the divisions in UFC are so chock full of talent at this point that Silva probably does not need to book matches like Roger Huerta, a relatively big name fighter in the UFC, against Doug Evans, a nobody who fights in Alaska.

Obviously it is important to bring new talent in to ensure a healthy crop of competitors for some time to come. But there are many extremely talented PRIDE fighters out of work right now if the need for new talent arises.

And I understand that it is important to build up certain fighters for the casual crowd to rally behind. I know Huerta in particular is a guy that Dana White would like to market as the star of the UFC in Mexico. But at the same time, I feel like the UFC has gotten to a point where the brand is so over and enough of the fighters are over enough that Silva can afford to book more would-be stars in matches against one another and allow things to play out as they may. To me, and I feel to most hardcore fans, this would go much farther to build superstars to MMA fans (i.e. not fans of the UFC brand alone or casual fight fans who only purchase the shows hyped to the heavens by ESPN and the like). But then, UFC already has the hardcore fans by the balls, so it's not as if Joe Silva needs to cater to us. Still, I would not complain if he did!
EEKS
6/15/07 6:10:17PM
IMO so far hes doing an ok job as a matchmaker for the ufc, its gotta be a tough job though, at times many fans seem to have a short attention span and if nothing new is brought to the table we seem to lose interest, so Joe Sylva constantly has to be on his toes trying to figure out want the fans want next and about 30% of the time he cant.
Ultimate_fighter
6/18/07 1:55:43AM
Mr. Joe Sylva is the best.,,, the fights are so entertaining to watch!
keith-hackney1
6/18/07 5:10:35PM

Posted by PeteD

What do you guys think of Joe Sylva? He's putting some interesting fights together that are are turning out some interesting results.

With all the upsets though, I do not envy him. They've already started planning 5 events ahead of the upcoming card. At least the UFC is keeping him busy.

All very good apart from tyhe " bisping vs shamrock thing ???"
.... what the hell's that about ?????
.... what happened to hamill ??????
Stickan
6/18/07 5:38:10PM
Joe Silva usually does a great job. Bisping - Shamrock is a HUGE exception though and should damn near get him fired.
At least warned and fined.