Joe Stevenson = Over Rated

MMAPlayground.com » MMA General » General MMA Talk » Joe Stevenson = Over Rated
sonicsmokesweed
4/29/08 4:04:34AM
I dont think Joe bekongs in the top 5. I barely Think he deserves Top 10 he hasnt really faced anyone high level but Penn and got merked, I Think Gleison Tibau Punishes him The Same Way Neer did. <--- i had to gt dat off my chest
Kpro
4/29/08 4:38:17AM

Posted by sonicsmokesweed

I dont think Joe bekongs in the top 5. I barely Think he deserves Top 10 he hasnt really faced anyone high level but Penn and got merked, I Think Gleison Tibau Punishes him The Same Way Neer did. <--- i had to gt dat off my chest

He's fairly unanimously not ranked Top 5. I'm not sure of any site that does have him that high after losing to Penn. If he was Top 5 on most rankings, I would agree that he was overrated.
tomsmith17381
4/29/08 4:55:59AM
i totally disagree joe is def a top 5 fighter in the lw division. if he hadnt of got such a nasty cut he would of given bj penn alot tougher fight the guy couldnt see a thing for all the blood.
Aaronno9
4/29/08 5:06:43AM
Totally disagree. Its hard to decide whether the penn fight effects the rankings, becouse not only is he far and away the best lw in the ufc, hes one of the best p4p fighters in the world. Also, i think the cut played a big part in that fight. Joe was planning on weathering the storm for the first few rounds, but when he got cut he had to be the aggressor becouse it looked like the fight was going to get stopped. Even then though he took a hell of a beating and b.j just couldnt stop him till he sank in the choke.
nickcuc547
4/29/08 6:44:50AM
he isn't a top 5 lightweight, but he is a top 5 lightweight in the ufc and he did deserve that title shot. joe daddy is a very strong grappler, he doesn't have a good standup game, which will keep him from being a champion, but his grappling and his intelligence give him a chance to beat anybody in the ufc lightweight division except for bj and sherk, but that's the case with every other lightweight in every organization in the world.
rameydl8
4/29/08 8:47:19AM
................not even top ten...........Cant say that id agree to that
Twenty20Dollars
4/29/08 9:01:05AM
joe is not overrated, it just depends how you rate him, i mean he's up there in the contenders
loonytnt
4/29/08 9:39:13AM
benn,sean,tyson,kenny,nate,din, imo all them are better then joe and thats just in the ufc
casey64
4/29/08 9:50:04AM

Posted by loonytnt

benn,sean,tyson,kenny,nate,din, imo all them are better then joe and thats just in the ufc

Do agree with you on this loony
ChokeUout
4/29/08 4:01:25PM
If we're talking in all of MMA, then no, Joe Daddy isn't top 10. IN the UFC he's Top 10 easily tho. That dominating loss to BJ mos def hurt his rankings, and probably put him back to the bottom of the top ten. However, you have to remember, he was VERY deserving of that title shot. Also, I'm not sure about what people think about this, but I Don't think UFC 80 was a case of Joe looking bad per se, it was just a case of BJ being that good.

Either way you look at it tho, no. Joe stevenson is NOT overrated in my humble opinion
jiujitsufreak74
4/29/08 4:04:37PM
well, i have BJ Penn, Aoki, JZ, Gomi, Ishida, Melendez, Sakurai (if he still counts as a LW), Kawajiri, Ribeiro, Huerta, Sherk, Florian and Griffin ahead of him. so by my rankings he would be 14th, and imo he is just outside the top 5 in the UFC.
F--K_Luck_AuH2O
4/29/08 4:24:06PM
I agree, Stevenson is overated...but not by much. Top 15 but not Top 10.
EON
4/29/08 6:03:14PM
i think he would beat alot of the top 10's but i see him losing to Tibau as well.
DevonFoxy
4/29/08 6:22:01PM
Tyson and Ken Flo imo are not better than Joe Daddy. He is top 5 in the UFC. Not the world but I think its very fair to say he is top 5 in the UFC. How can you overrate Joe? I don't think many thought he was going to beat BJ but his wrestling is very good and his Jits is also very good. I think he would beat Nate Diaz and hope thats his next fight. I think hes 3 right now in the UFC personally.
Mchubb316
4/29/08 11:18:43PM
I would agree that he is not over rated. He is top 10 in the UFC but world wide I don't think so. He is a tough guy and would give most top 10 guys a good run, but I don't think he is at that level. I'm not sure, but isn't he fairly young? He very well could turn in to a top 10 fighter in a few years. Regardless of being top 10 or not, I enjoy watching him fight, he shows up every time in shape and ready to go.
coldchillin
4/30/08 1:57:50AM
He's easily top ten in the UFC Lightweight division and somewhere near the top ten in the Lightweight division as a whole.

He's going to outwork Tibau for a hard-fought but clear decision.
Sir_Karl
4/30/08 9:48:40AM
I agree. Stevenson is way over rated. He didn't deserve a shot at Penn.
Tyson Griffin and Frank Edgar deserved one way before him.
coldchillin
4/30/08 1:45:40PM
Griffin and Edgar would have both got similar beatdowns from Penn.