Joe Stevenson

MMAPlayground.com » MMA General » UFC Forum » Joe Stevenson
MFOTHER
1/4/09 11:46:34AM
A) how many fights does he have left on his contact
B) how many fights in a row can he loose before he gets the boot
C) why doesnt he ask for, or take one easy fight?

my answers
A) no clue
B) even though they are against top competition only one or two more
C) He is a top level veteran who wants to get his rank up, and make his way back to a shot at the belt

my problem is i like joe, and want to see him do well, but after getting destroyed by florian, i dont think fighting sanchez (the man who beat florian.....i know totally differnent fighters now and weightclass) will do him any good.

Sanchez must be eager to fight, comming off that big win against luigi, getting sidelined with injury, and wanting to make a slash at 155 (where alot of people thought he belonged for a while)

If joe wins, it is a nice W, but im sure people will blame it on diego's first time cutting weight..... if he looses he is looking at a 1-3 record out of his last four, with a win over a now questionable tibeau.

Can joe pull this out? of course.
Is it a good fight for him? i dont think so,.,,,

kopower
1/4/09 12:18:39PM
You stated my thoughts exactly. Joe is a good fighter but he is not an elite one. I think diego will run through him but the weight cut may be a big factor. Props to joe for taking some big fights but it probably wasn't the best choice for his ufc career. He obviously thought he could win each one but by losing his last few it really shows where he stacks up in the division
copcopps
1/4/09 12:21:39PM
1. He's a TUF winner, he probably has a lot of fights left on his contract.
2. Not many especially how bad he looked against Kenny
3. He doesn't want to look bad or washed up

If he does get cut he would be the first TUF winner to be cut and that would surprise me

And yes I fear for Daddy's future in the UFC in this fight
nickcuc547
1/4/09 1:00:50PM
i love it that joe wants to fight the best, that's what it's all about. he is a tough competitor and i have all the respect in the world for him because he has taken the tough road, even after defeats.

He gets neer in his first post tuf fight, which is as tough a fight a guy has gotten after winning tuf, he loses and gets rewarded with yves edwards, who a lot of people thought was a contender at the time. Just proves that joe is a competitor and loves to fight.
MFOTHER
1/4/09 1:19:13PM
maybe im just bitter that sean sherk didnt get sanchez (sherk stated he wanted to be diego's firts 155 fight)
i would have rather seen joe get a win on the books, and fight the winner of thatfight
higdon10
1/4/09 1:21:57PM
Joe Stevenson is everything I love in a fighter. He never turns down a fight, I can't remember the last easy fight he had. His fights are always exciting. Hes a hell of a fighter. Probably wont ever be the champ, but Joe Daddy is a fighter that everyone should respect.
MFOTHER
1/4/09 1:28:32PM

Posted by copcopps

1. He's a TUF winner, he probably has a lot of fights left on his contract.
2. Not many especially how bad he looked against Kenny
3. He doesn't want to look bad or washed up

If he does get cut he would be the first TUF winner to be cut and that would surprise me

And yes I fear for Daddy's future in the UFC in this fight

yes he is a TUF winner, but that doesnt necessacrally mean he has alot more fights....he has fought a decent amount of times since tuf, and he was the TUF 2 winner.......they are on TUF 9 now.

also its not impossible for a TUF winner to be cut...... Brad imes tuf finalist ( i know he was green, but still) and kendall grove was basiclly in a loser leaves town match with tanner......and ed herman (finalist also awarded contract) must be close.
Rollins
1/4/09 2:56:10PM
Joe was going to the top there for a while and improved 1000% over the last couple of years. I can't figure out how he's in such a downward spiral, maybe I overrated him but I don't think so.

He needs to step back and regroup IMO.
jeremygreen
1/4/09 4:58:14PM
Joe is a very classy guy, he is very strong and has good jui jitsu; I would hate to see him leave the ufc. Hopefully Sanchez will shoot in for a takedown and Joe will grab his neck and make him tap out.
DevonFoxy
1/4/09 5:34:07PM
He has better wrestling than Sanchez, he has better striking than Sanchez, and has better Jits than Sanchez all imo but pretty much the truth.

Sanchez may have more power but I think Joe has the advantage everywhere but for some reason I think this is gonna be FOTN and very close
Playground_Samurai
1/4/09 7:26:02PM

Posted by DevonFoxy

He has better wrestling than Sanchez, he has better striking than Sanchez, and has better Jits than Sanchez all imo but pretty much the truth.

I completely disagree. Their wrestling may be about even, but Diego is a much better striker than Joe. Look at his most recent fight with Luigi for an example, then think about when the last time Joe took out someone with his striking. Opinions like that is why Joe Stevenson is still ranked #10 on the mmaplayground rankings when there is definatly more deserving fighters out there.
nickcuc547
1/4/09 7:47:18PM

Posted by DevonFoxy

i disagree on all counts to be honest with you, wrestling is probably close but i think diego has a sizable advantage in the striking and jiu jitsu departments.
bls1919
1/4/09 9:03:06PM
Joe " DADDY" Stevenson deserves monumental props for all of the fights he has taken and made memorable. Every fighter wishes they had his heart and drive. Sadly I think he has peaked as a fighter(skills wise). I see diego GnPing him out.
DevonFoxy
1/4/09 10:46:33PM
I could be completely wrong and Id be the first to admit so but idk seems like your down playing Joes stand up its actually quite good and his Jits is sick not even that big of a fan of his Im just saying this is alot closer fight and I dont see Diego walking over Joe.
Wolfenstein
1/4/09 11:23:41PM
I've never really been impressed with Joe. His standup is so-so and his jiujitsu is very basic,and probably one of the reasons he has had difficulty submitting top level BJJ guys. I would like to see him use something other than the guilotine, but at this level it seems to be his only offensive submission. He's reached a plateau at this point in his career, in my opinion.

I just don't think he can really go any further in this division. I can't remember watching any of Joe's fights where I could see he has made strong improvements or added additional weapons. Some fighters evolve, and some just don't. Uness he begins to add new tools and starts to evolve as a fightr, I think he's going to be left behind in the division. Should he lose to Diego I think a move to 145 might be on the horizon.
Pitbull09
1/5/09 12:08:41AM
a.) prob at least 3
b.) prob at least 3
c.) idk, it isnt helping him though if he wants to prolong his career

Also, why would you call Stevenson a veteran? He is still pretty young to be called that
1daveufc
1/5/09 6:01:59AM
Iam reading a lot about joe not getting easy fights why wud any one want easy fighs its not going to test a fighter is it.I like joe he is a good fighter but he is not a great fighter or even a world class fighter a still think he shud fight in the ufc thou the fans like him.
TheNatural915
1/5/09 7:32:30AM
Stevenson is a little overrated but he is a true fighter he doesn't back down from anybody.
BrutalKnockOut
1/5/09 4:29:53PM
Stevenson is a tough competitor with some huge wins, I think everyone just remembers the Florian fight as of late.
MFOTHER
1/6/09 1:05:07AM

Posted by Pitbull09

a.) prob at least 3
b.) prob at least 3
c.) idk, it isnt helping him though if he wants to prolong his career

Also, why would you call Stevenson a veteran? He is still pretty young to be called that

dude has almost 40 pro fights, thats a veteran to me......some of the top competitors or even champs dont have that.
he is an mma veteran , it has noting to do with age. If anything its more impressive that he is also fairly young