Joe Rogan's Weigh-Ins blog...(hilarious...and true)

MMAPlayground.com » Off Topic » Off Topic » Joe Rogan's Weigh-Ins blog...(hilarious...and true)
emfleek
9/21/09 11:20:44AM
I’m sitting on a plane right now headed to Dallas, Texas to witness and commentate on UFC 103. Today I’ll announce the weigh ins where 26 fighters will step on to the scale, dehydrated and nervous, 24 hours away from swinging their bones at each other and attempting to strangle each other unconscious. The weigh ins are always an interesting part of fight weekend because you get to see the fighters face to face a full day before combat. Some guys look dried out and sickly from the weight cut, and just looking at their physical appearance often influences betting lines. It’s a sophisticated thing, this weight cutting, and many of these fighters have it down to a science. Looking to squeeze out every extra edge, it’s not unusual for guys to weigh in a full 20lbs lighter than they’ll be the next day for combat.

The weigh ins are open to the public, and always packed with rabid mixed martial arts fans, as well as an abundance of affliction t shirts and tribal tattoos. Women will scream and cheer. Men will puff out their chests and flex when their favorite fighter takes the scale. Excitement will fill the air, building with each subsequent weigh in until it climaxes with the main event stare down.

Some folks will want to get their posters signed by their favorite fighters, but this the age of the internet, and when it comes to fan requests the digital photograph has far surpassed the autograph. These days everyone’s phone has a camera, and everyone wants a picture of them holding their fist up standing next to Randy Couture on their facebook page. That is easily one of the weirdest and goofiest things about MMA fans; the fist-up pose with the fighter. I can’t think of another sport that has a pose that the fans take when they get pictures with the athletes where they mimic the activity they enjoy watching. It’s not just a few guys striking this dopey pose, either. It’s the majority. I can completely understand if you’re a fighter yourself, and you want an image of camaraderie with one of your sporting idols, but if you’re an overweight short order cook who’s never even taken a tae bo class, do the world a favor and keep your ******* fist un-balled when you’re standing next to Anderson Silva.

CONTINUED...
KaibaThedon
9/21/09 1:27:44PM
LOL at the one fist pose

Everyone does it, whats wrong with that lol
emfleek
9/21/09 1:34:22PM

Posted by KaibaThedon

LOL at the one fist pose

I've always had the same opinion as Rogan. I've never understood why guys do it but, at the same time, I've always wondered if I would end up doing it in the same situation. I'd surely hope not...
D0wnUnd6e6r
9/21/09 2:15:20PM

Another unintentionally hilarious aspect of the MMA culture is the abundance of retarded macho “fight wear” T-shirts. The enormous financial success of enterprising clothing companies like “Tapout” have given birth to a rise of ham-handed imitators where each one tries to out retard the next. Images of chained up pitbulls and skulls are the norm with shiny foil letters to make sure you can clearly read the “Break my dick off in your ass – fight wear” label. At the last UFC in New Jersey I actually saw a guy in the audience with a shirt that said, “Some guys are strikers, some guys are grapplers… I’M BOTH!” Good lord. Someone please find that poor **** and give him a hug.

LOLLL

I was always a big fan of rogan's, but after reading this im actually gonna start reading each and every blog he writes. The guy is just real, says whatever's on his mind even if he knows not everyone thinks the same way he does. Pure genius.
FlashyG
9/21/09 2:18:00PM

I had one guy email me that actually wanted to sell me an pendant that was an MMA glove smothered in diamonds. The name of his company? “Hard as diamond – for those who are.”
No bull****.
Could you even imagine the near fatal levels of meathead you would have to be infected with to walk out of your house with a diamond encrusted fighting glove around your neck? On paper it doesn’t even seem possible.

He really has a way with words.
grappler0000
9/21/09 3:26:02PM

Posted by FlashyG

I had one guy email me that actually wanted to sell me an pendant that was an MMA glove smothered in diamonds. The name of his company? “Hard as diamond – for those who are.”
No bull****.
Could you even imagine the near fatal levels of meathead you would have to be infected with to walk out of your house with a diamond encrusted fighting glove around your neck? On paper it doesn’t even seem possible.

He really has a way with words.

Yep...after reading that, I decided to look up that company. The jewelry is just as lame as it sounds too.

Image Attachment(s):
Photo Attachment 1
emfleek
9/21/09 3:27:09PM

Posted by grappler0000

Yep...after reading that, I decided to look up that company. The jewelry is just as lame as it sounds too.

I think I've seen those in gumball machines @ Wal-Mart.

tberg420
9/22/09 4:23:04PM
I'm proud to say that for every picture I've taken with a fighter, I've never made a fist. It's looks insanely lame and the subject of loads of internet hate.
Brain_Smasher
9/22/09 5:36:19PM
I dont see a problem with it. Rogan just thinks he is a fighter and everyone else is not. So he wants to belittle everyone else. The sport has changed since i first got into it. Back in the day the only people who followed MMA/NHB were people who trained in the sport or at least BJJ. Its not that way now. You have people who are just fans and dont train or kids who just thinks its the "thing" to do by watching it. Rogan says other fighters can do it and he dont have a problem with it. Well i consider myself a fighter, im sure he does too, as well as many fans out there. We may be lower on the spectrum of fighters but i dont think you have to be ranked in the top 10 to make it appropriate. Anyone who trains or has been in a fight is a fighter at some level. Im not big on getting pictures with people. But i have met UFc fighters and trained with them. Just never ask for a pic. But i dont think there is anything wrong wit the fist pose. There is really no reason for anyone to do it even fighters during face offs at Weigh ins. Its pointless. But its no less "dumb" for anyone else to do it either.
scoozna
9/22/09 5:42:13PM
Funny stuff, and that's a comedians job to notice and call out stuff like that.

I agree with him, but I like it anyway, and hope that fans continue to do it. It's something, like he said, that seems unique to MMA. You have fans, posing with often the toughest people on the planet (outside of, perhaps, military personnel), and they are posing along with them, making a fist, and/or making a tough face too. It's ridiculous and fun all at the same time.
emfleek
9/23/09 8:49:11AM

Posted by Brain_Smasher

I dont see a problem with it. Rogan just thinks he is a fighter and everyone else is not. So he wants to belittle everyone else.

I don't think that's it at all. I think Joe Rogan is a comedian and his job is to make people laugh.

Mission accomplished.

FlashyG
9/23/09 1:04:17PM

Posted by Brain_Smasher

I dont see a problem with it. Rogan just thinks he is a fighter and everyone else is not. So he wants to belittle everyone else.

Joe apparently got a lot of feedback on that blog. Here's his response to those who emailed him.

I got an incredible amount of responses to my last blog, so many and so varied that I thought I should probably address a few. The vast majority of the people agreed with what I had to say, and applauded my stand against some of the more ridiculous trends infecting our beloved sport, but curiously quite a few folks felt I was unjustly “bashing” MMA fans, and a couple even arrived at the misguided opinion that by poking fun at some of the silly behavior and moronic wardrobe choices I was somehow “biting the hand that feeds me.”

To that I say, first and foremost I’m a stand up comic. I make fun of everything, including myself. When you get upset at something I say that reflects on you, just think about the sh*t I say about me. I regularly describe myself as a short, balding, little chimp-man. I drank my own piss and put the video of it up on youtube. Not only do I regularly wear a fanny pack – the most widely ridiculed wardrobe item the world has ever known – but I’m at the helm of an ill-conceived campaign actively trying to bring them back to popularity.

I’m a goof.
But guess what, f*ck face – so are you. We all are.

Full Response
scobac
9/27/09 12:47:19PM

Does that “Tap or Snap – the choice is yours!” T-shirt really appeal to you? If it does, rock that **** homey.
What, are you gonna live forever?
**** it – after you get that bitch home, head on down to your local “Hot Topic” and get yourself some glue and glitter, and pimp that ************ up proper. Put a big, red, glittery dick on the front and wear it around the mall with your chest puffed out. If it puts a smile on your face, that’s really all that matters.

pure genius!