Joe Rogan: "Randy would maul Cro Cop..."

MMAPlayground.com » MMA General » UFC Forum » Joe Rogan: "Randy would maul Cro Cop..."
« Previous Page | Next Page »
SpiderSilva
7/30/07 1:01:46PM

Posted by richieb19

Posted by bootyclause
Arlovski *mauled Werdum.

*got bitchslapped by...

SpiderSilva
7/30/07 1:03:01PM
didnt AA win
DevonFoxy
7/30/07 1:07:49PM
yes but in an unconvincing manner. He is supposed to be the pitbull and he came out like it but the last two rounds were hard to watch from both fighters. I fell asleep on my couch until the Cro Cop fight. I heard AA apologize for the boring fight and i felt his pain. Im sure he wanted to put on a show.
nubby
7/30/07 3:37:17PM
I guess it all depends on what you consider to be mauled. Did Couture maul Sylvia? Some will say yes and some will say no. IMO I think Couture would win and I think he would do so in a very convincing manner. For some reason it's easier to take down opponents in a cage than in the ring. At least hat is what I have noticed. And because of this I think Randy wouldn't have a very hard time of getting CC down on the ground at all. In fact I think Randy would do it the same way GG did it. He caught a kick and proceeded to put CC down.

CC may be training with a cage now but it doesn't really matter because no matter how much training he does he relies on his kicks to do the damage and he pretty much always sets up his high kick with a body kick. As you all know a kick is a lot easier to capitalize on than a punch is. That is the major difference between Liddell and Filipovic. Randy can put CC up against the cage and he doesn't have to worry about getting knocked out by an uppercut or a punch to his temple like he does from Liddell. That is why the whole CC and Liddell comparison is like apples and oranges.

I know a lot of you think that CC is the Cat's Meow and your primary argument is that Fedor said he was the toughest competition he had gone up against. To me that speaks less of Fedor than more of Filipovic because look at how easily Filipovic was disposed of in the cage. It raises a clear question of really how good the competition was in pride. And that may piss a lot of you off because you then say well look at Barnett and his destruction of Couture... well that may be true but Barnett was also a steroid freak and quite possibly still is. Anyone wondering why Barnett hasn't signed back with the UFC yet? Or why Randleman hasn't either? How well are these supposed top fighters going to do if they can't inject steroids?

Anyway, I have a lot of faith in Couture's ability and as long as he's not fighting someone who is 265 and a great wrestler, I think he is going to kick a lot of ass.
cmill21
7/30/07 3:55:47PM
So your saying Mirko doesn't have the punching power chuck does? Mirko lifted Coleman up with an uppercut, so I guess you could say I strongly disagree. As for how easily Mirko was taken down, he threw a telegraphed uncaracteristically lazy kick, if he's fighting like he normally does that kick lands and is retracted before gg can move(ala wandy). If PRIDE's competition is so "suspect" how come rampage who was demolished by shogun, and wandy x2, came over and beat the best fighter the UFC had to offer in under 2 minuets?
scoozna
7/30/07 4:14:30PM
I don't think we need to hold Joe Rogan to the same standard as, say, a journalist reporting on MMA - He's employed by the UFC and is commentator for their fights. He may believe it to some degree, being a big fan of Randy's, but in the end, he's much more valuable to the UFC (management) by creating this hype. The thousands of newer viewers will fall for it for a while until they realize that that's how the UFC propaganda machine works (and works pretty well).
Lord_Lenny
7/30/07 4:41:51PM

Posted by cmill21

If PRIDE's competition is so "suspect" how come rampage who was demolished by shogun, and wandy x2, came over and beat the best fighter the UFC had to offer in under 2 minuets?

styles make fights
cmill21
7/30/07 4:44:45PM
What wandy's a wild striker and so is chuck.
marketmaven
7/30/07 6:55:07PM
I think it would either go the distance in which case I'd give it to Cro Cop, or Cro Cop would knock him out. I'd probably give Randy a 10% chance of getting in pinned in the corner and pounding him out. Remote chance, but at this level anyone can beat anyone at least once out ten fights.

Take Gonzaga Cro Cop. Cro Cop got a little too cocking and didnt adequately train against elbows and in a cage. He won't make that mistake again.

Now his only issue is, will he be too cautious against Cheick Kongo or not. I think he can beat Cheick who is a better match up and will not employ the ground and pound as well as other fighters. Both will go to natural striking with Cro Cops brutal kicks eventually chopping down the African.
nubby
7/30/07 7:09:49PM

Posted by marketmaven

I think it would either go the distance in which case I'd give it to Cro Cop, or Cro Cop would knock him out. I'd probably give Randy a 10% chance of getting in pinned in the corner and pounding him out. Remote chance, but at this level anyone can beat anyone at least once out ten fights.

Take Gonzaga Cro Cop. Cro Cop got a little too cocking and didnt adequately train against elbows and in a cage. He won't make that mistake again.

Now his only issue is, will he be too cautious against Cheick Kongo or not. I think he can beat Cheick who is a better match up and will not employ the ground and pound as well as other fighters. Both will go to natural striking with Cro Cops brutal kicks eventually chopping down the African.

But this is making the assumption that simply because Filipovic for something specific he will be able to completely nuetralize it. I just don't agree. Some things you just can't train for going up against a wrestler like Randy is one of those things. Even wrestlers like Ortiz and Randleman can attest to that. To me that means if Randy catches just one kick Filipovic will pay by eating canvis.
zephead
7/30/07 7:49:13PM
I look at the clinch. Randy's strong point is the clinch. A little dirty boxing and then the double leg takedown. Coleman and Randlemen just shoot in. They don't set anything up. Randy does. Randy can beat him

Just like Randy said, he matches up better with Cro Cop then GG. Why?? Because GG strong point is his ground game. He weighs 242 lbs. He's stronger then Randy. Mirko's strong point is standup. He weighs 220lbs. Randy is a wrestler. Think about it.

MIrko has 5 loses, 4 to grabblers. There is a reason why Randy said he matches up better with Cro Cop. When Randy first fought in the heavyweight division he rocked and rolled. And then Ricco and Josh came along. To big and strong for Randy. Cro Cop is not a big strong heavyweight. He is Randy''s size. Hence, Randy matches up well with Cro Cop
cmill21
7/30/07 8:29:11PM
See but Mirko's also dominated bigger stronger wrestlers then Randy(IE:Josh x3). The problem with Randy setting things up is he's not going to be able to stand there bob and weave like he did with Tim. I think he'd have to shoot in, because working your way into the clinch is a tall order against Mirko. Then if you do get the clunch he's working hard on improving his knees(bringing in Bojansky is a great move) and he's strong enough to toos big guys like aleks when they clinch. He's also working hard on getting better when he's on the bottom and using the cage to get back up(Brought in Ricco would killed randy on the ground in his prime).
nubby
7/30/07 9:20:38PM

Posted by cmill21

See but Mirko's also dominated bigger stronger wrestlers then Randy(IE:Josh x3). The problem with Randy setting things up is he's not going to be able to stand there bob and weave like he did with Tim. I think he'd have to shoot in, because working your way into the clinch is a tall order against Mirko. Then if you do get the clunch he's working hard on improving his knees(bringing in Bojansky is a great move) and he's strong enough to toos big guys like aleks when they clinch. He's also working hard on getting better when he's on the bottom and using the cage to get back up(Brought in Ricco would killed randy on the ground in his prime).

This is definitely good point but I don't think Randy is going to use the same strategy on some one like Filipovic as the one he used on Sylvia. Also just because you train with someone it doesn't mean you automatically get their skills. Imagine if Tito Ortiz had Melvin Guillards striking skills. Crocop may learn some things but he will never be good enough at the ground game to neutralize Couture. His best bet is to master the sprawl and stay out of the clinch.
zephead
7/30/07 9:25:16PM
He might of thrown Aleks aside, but Randy has better balance then Aleks. I think working your away into a clinch against someone trying to kick you is alot easier then trying to work into the clinch with someone throwing bombs.

It would be a interesting fight. Working with Ricco doesn't mean Cro Cop is going to be Ricco in 6 months. Ricco is a great ground fighter that took years to get that way. Not 6 months. Plus Ricco is round 250, so his strength had a lot to do with beating Randy.
cmill21
7/30/07 10:24:21PM
No but Mirko already has a very good sprawl. He doesn't need to learn how to take randy down and hold him there, he just needs to learn how to use the cage to get up, and how to effectivly circle in the cage, Ricco can help, also owning a cage will help. Now kick's are only half of what Mirko can use, he had an amature boxing record of 40-5 with 31 KO's and a pro boxing record of 12-5, so he can and will throw bombs, I'm acctually expecting him to use leg kicks and his boxing to defeat kongo. I also think Mirko has proven his strength by how he beat randleman, threw aleks(265) and broke bob sapps eye socket with 14oz gloves. Again I'm in no way saying Mirko would dominate randy or anything like that, I do think he would win, but I think it would be a great fight with no one mauling anyone, these guys are both legends, as they should be.
thelastking
7/30/07 11:23:13PM
cmill is 100% correct, randy could beat crocop but crocop could beat randy. In no way would randy maul crocop. Crocop had 1 bad performance and all of a sudden everybody is like couture would maul crocop, crocop has an awesome sprawl, it would be very hard for couture to get in the clinch with crocop mainly because he can punch as well and has very good movement, alot of you guys seem to think that all crocop can do is kick and that if he does couture would catch the kick take him down and beat him,even if couture got crocop down crocop has a good guard its very defensive, he was thrown off by the elbows in the gonzaga fight i dont see that happening again. i am a fan of crocops and coutures but up until couture beat sylvia no one would have even thought about making that statement. I respect Couture for what he did but honestly he gets beat twice by a lhw chuck liddell, retires, comes back gets an immediate hw title shot against tim sylvia wins and now everybody thinks he could maul crocop. I just cant agree with that reasoning
cmill21
7/30/07 11:28:44PM
Good post.
JimiMak
7/31/07 12:05:10AM
It's called hyping a fight.
masodd
7/31/07 12:25:40AM
i agree with rogan ,randy would take him down easily ,then press him up against the fence and beat the living crap out of him......... randy WOULD MAUL cro cop.............cro cop is so overrated anyways
cmill21
7/31/07 12:41:50AM
I'm just curious as to why you think he's overrated?
Kastro
7/31/07 1:16:20AM

Posted by thelastking

cmill is 100% correct, randy could beat crocop but crocop could beat randy. In no way would randy maul crocop. Crocop had 1 bad performance and all of a sudden everybody is like couture would maul crocop, crocop has an awesome sprawl, it would be very hard for couture to get in the clinch with crocop mainly because he can punch as well and has very good movement, alot of you guys seem to think that all crocop can do is kick and that if he does couture would catch the kick take him down and beat him,even if couture got crocop down crocop has a good guard its very defensive, he was thrown off by the elbows in the gonzaga fight i dont see that happening again. i am a fan of crocops and coutures but up until couture beat sylvia no one would have even thought about making that statement. I respect Couture for what he did but honestly he gets beat twice by a lhw chuck liddell, retires, comes back gets an immediate hw title shot against tim sylvia wins and now everybody thinks he could maul crocop. I just cant agree with that reasoning

Exactly...

Randy struggled to take Chuck down... all of a sudden Cro Cop loses to Gonzaga and is taken down from 1 kick, and everyone thinks Randy would take him down with ease...

Cro Cop has better TD defense then Chuck IMO and he is bigger and stronger, Randy would have a hell of a problem fighting Cro Cop... Watch the Coleman fight, Cro Cop knew throwing kicks would endanger him of being taken down, so he forgot about the kicks and destroyed Coleman with his good hands...

Just because Cro Cop finishes most opponents with a LHK to the head or a liver kick does not mean he has no other tools, Cro Cop has awesome hands, quick reflexes, and is a problem for anybody he fights... If he was worried about Gonzaga taking him down he wouldn't have thrown that low kick, he learned from that and will fight a better rematch assuming there is one.

Thank you.
cmill21
7/31/07 1:21:48AM
One thing that people forget is Mirko's a K-1 level striker, chucks not. He's also fought in professional BOXING! He uses his kicks well but the gg fight was one of the most shocking dissapointing efforts i've ever seen a fighter put out, he threw one strike, throw that fight out the window unless he hasn't got the will to fight anymore. He says he does and he says it's a manor of honor now, so i'm inclined to believe him.
Kastro
7/31/07 1:25:21AM
Yah me too CMILL.. I am a little worried about the Kongo fight because if he loses that then its gonna be a huge weight on his shoulders... Cro Cops a soldier though I have a lot of confidence in him.
cmill21
7/31/07 1:28:25AM
Well if he loses he just doesn't have the fire anymore. But he says he does and why should we doubt him? I would never pick another striker over Mirko, ever.
billycarnage
7/31/07 2:01:30AM
I don't agree with alot that Rogan says, this especially. I have a lot of respect for Randy but Cro-Cop is still one of the most fierce strikers pound for pound and he survived the viscious ground and pound of Fedor. He lost once and suddenly all that is discounted? He under-estamated Gonzaga but so did everyone else. Cro-Cop will get his shot but it won't be against Coture. Frankly, I never thought much of Tim Sylvia and I am glad that he got beat. If it were anyone of the top 5 heavy weight contenders today I don't think Randy would have come out of retirement.
MMA
7/31/07 1:05:52PM
No matter what anyone says, Cro Cop is still uncomfortable on the ground whereas Gonzaga doesn't care where the fight takes place. Gonzaga has heavy hands and (I assume) a solid chin. His bread and butter is, of course, his ground game. If you look at it stylistically, this is a bad fight for Randy. Well, that's on paper anyways ... it means nothing when they get inside the cage and fight.
Lord_Lenny
8/1/07 2:18:49AM
i should have watched the video before posting, but after seeing it i think everyone is taking it the wrong way, Joe was saying/implying that if randy got on top of cro cop he would maul him. Not that he would maul him indefinitely, and the reason he said mauling was to enforce the fact that Randy's GnP is much better than Gonzaga's, who's got stood up because it wasnt active enough
cmill21
8/1/07 3:04:59AM
I have watched it, I'm a Mirko nuthugger, and I don't think he meant it the way alot of us are taking it. I think he mean as you said if he got him down and pressed him up to the cage. I still disagree because if you have watched a bunch of Mirko's fights you'll see exactly why Mirko stayed on the ground with gg and didn't attempt to get up, he was fearing a repeat of the nog fight, with randy I think he would acctually be more offensive in his guard like he was against barnett. All this of course is if randy gets him down without getting KO'd.
CornishMMA
8/1/07 6:09:40AM
If Randy was in GG's place at UFC 70 then he would of "mauled" CC like GG did

The ring suits CC alot more than the cage i think, and i really dont see him kicking Kongos head off, he could have trouble with him as he doesnt like taking kicks back to the legs and body, could be a repeat of his K1 fight against Aerts

But Randy is smart enough to hang with CC in the standup, he wouldnt get his head kicked off and would be able to take CC down, it would be a competative fight so he may not maul him but he could do and i dont see anything wrong at all with Rogan saying that, its his job to hype the fight and he isnt wildly exagerrating by any means!!
LR
8/1/07 9:40:10AM
LOL, whoever said CC is overrated needs to delete their account. His record speaks for itself. CC takedown defense is world class, and will probably show up against Kongo. I think we'll see a new CC very soon.
Pages: 1 [2] 3