Joe Rogan: "Randy would maul Cro Cop..."

MMAPlayground.com » MMA General » UFC Forum » Joe Rogan: "Randy would maul Cro Cop..."
Next Page »
Kastro
7/29/07 6:40:03PM
Watched the UFC 74 website the other night ( http://74.ufc.com ) and watched the interviews and thoughts on the upcoming HW title fight with Couture and Gonzaga and couldn't help but get pissed off to hear Rogan actually say that "Gonzaga proved that the UFC has the best HW fighters, that high kick on Cro Cop was a message, if Couture faced Cro Cop he would pin him against the cage, take him down and finish him, Couture would maul Cro Cop!"...

I understand there is a lot of support for Couture considering his age, accomplishments, great personality, and his contribution in making the UFC what it is today - but come on, a lot of people are giving him way too much credit after the Sylvia fight... Liddell KTFO'd him in back to back matches, he stopped all his takedowns, what makes Rogan think a bigger, stronger, faster, and more experienced Cro Cop isn't going to defend Randy's takedowns?? Its just plain stupidity, Cro Cop has stopped Fedor from taking him down (most of the takedown attempts and trips in the fight with Fedor were stuffed), Mark Coleman (who is way stronger then Randy), Josh Barnett, and Wanderlei Silva but all of a sudden 40+ year old Couture is going to muster up the strength to take him down and "maul him"??!?!?!

The more I hear Rogan run his mouth the more I dont like him. I think Couture would actually be an easier fight for Cro Cop, much easier then Gonzaga (yes, in a rematch I see Cro Cop defeating him easily). After Gonzaga dismantles Randy maybe everyone will realize that he is not "the master of game plans"... Yah, Randy did beat a 7 FT Tim Sylvia who has weak striking and no real tools besides his size and reach advantage on everybody he fights.

Dont get me wrong, I like Couture a lot, he is a great fighter and he has been a tremendous factor in the sport of MMA for a very long time, but I just dont understand how after one fight with Tim Sylvia who isn't even a good HW EVERYBODY is putting him over fighters like Gonzaga and Cro Cop, I have even heard people talk about him defeating Fedor... its just stupidity IMO.

Feel free to debate maturely, I did not make this post to start a war, just to voice my opinion and challenge anybody who thinks otherwise - thanks for reading, cant wait until UFC 74!
DangerousDjohn
7/29/07 6:48:37PM
Randy is great and has as much pride for what he does as anybody, but maul Mirko? I don't know about that. Could he beat, he could. Could he maul him, I'm not so sure about that.
Kastro
7/29/07 6:57:25PM
Exactly... Randy COULD beat Cro Cop, and vice versa... but maul? No way, Rogan either doesn't know what he is talking about or knows that Couture would never maul Cro Cop and is just being very bias and pro ufc.
cmill21
7/29/07 7:01:36PM
I'm so absolutly sick of all this crap, when Mirko first came over it was "OMG he's going to crush every HW". Now he had two showings that he didn't have his normal fire, and lost one of them, now people are talking about how many people can dominate him. I honestly hate this talk. It's rediculous, Mirko crushed Coleman, and randy would maul him? I really hope Mirko comes out and fights the way we all know he can, kicks kongo's head off, turns and looks at Rogan and says "Maul that". Joe Rogan is the biggest band wagon jumper on earth. Everyone if you want to decide if a guys good or not based on one fight, watch boxing, this is all rediculous.
Kastro
7/29/07 7:07:56PM

Posted by cmill21

I'm so absolutly sick of all this crap, when Mirko first came over it was "OMG he's going to crush every HW". Now he had two showings that he didn't have his normal fire, and lost one of them, now people are talking about how many people can dominate him. I honestly hate this talk. It's rediculous, Mirko crushed Coleman, and randy would maul him? I really hope Mirko comes out and fights the way we all know he can, kicks kongo's head off, turns and looks at Rogan and says "Maul that". Joe Rogan is the biggest band wagon jumper on earth. Everyone if you want to decide if a guys good or not based on one fight, watch boxing, this is all rediculous.

Good to see I am not alone, I actually used to like Joe Rogan.. now I cant stand him or his nasally voice I would rather hear Mauro and hopefully the UFC can get Bas or someone cuz I think Bas was the best IMO of course.
tommyprairie
7/29/07 7:09:46PM
Randy is a much better wrestler than any of those listed. Cro Cop stopping one of his takedowns is much harder than those others. Although, I do not think Randy would maul Cro Cop, I think it is a great match up for Randy. But, as always Cro Cop is one swing away from a knock out
shackle
7/29/07 7:19:10PM
Your opinion is so bias though... I mean come on look at the person in your avatar. ( I honestly like cro crop, and randy about the same, but I do think cro cop does get a little too much credit on the internet.)

I honestly beleave randy would of been a tough match up for cro cop way before he lost to GG. I mean come on cro cops ground game isn't spectacular, and he has the cage to figure out. Coleman isn't known as a smart fighter he comes out just like Randleman. They just go out, and let the roids do the fighting lol.

Randy comes out with much better game plans then the hammer house could even come up with.

I'm not saying randy would "maul" cro cop, but I see it as a possibility. I could see cro cop hitting him with a high kick easy though if he fights like he was with Syilvia. (leaning sideways wide open for a head kick)

I wouldn't be so sure to count randy out though cmill21. Start looking at things with a logical view. I hate when people are so bias they see their favorite fighters as unbeatable, or refuse to beleave the obvious facts.

SO you really see randy having no chance with this fight? HONESTLY?

Posted by cmill21

shackle
7/29/07 7:28:35PM
Yup I agree kinda beat me to it lol :)

Posted by tommyprairie

Randy is a much better wrestler than any of those listed. Cro Cop stopping one of his takedowns is much harder than those others. Although, I do not think Randy would maul Cro Cop, I think it is a great match up for Randy. But, as always Cro Cop is one swing away from a knock out

cmill21
7/29/07 7:32:22PM
WTF are you talking about? Yes coleman comes out and goes at you as does randleman, but if you don't think thats a good idea against Mirko please quit talking in an mma forum. Randy's a good wrestler, Coleman took 7th place at the 1992 summer olympics, Randleman is a two time Div 1 champ, Yoshida is a Judo gold medalist(type of wrestling). Whats Randy's biggest accomplishment in wrestling? Now lets examine how randy did aginst the best striker he's faced, chuck liddell 2-1 losing his last two fights. I get it everyone loves randy, and why not, he beat a big big HW(big not that good) and had a great career. Did I say once in my post that randy had no chance? No I simply stated if Rogan said this oh lets say September 11th 2006, everyone would be saying how stupid rogan was and Mirko was invincible, but since then he's lost, and now everyone off the bandwagon. I hope Randy beats gg, and I hope Mirko's back to the fighter he's always been, then we'll see it. Am I bias? Maybe, but do I completly block out any form of reason? Nope, seriously man, I get that you might not like Mirko, or think that he's not that good(based on one fight) but you need to get a grip on reality and not put words in my mouth.
jeremygreen
7/29/07 8:39:04PM
All Rogan is saying that there is less of a risk fighting Cro cop than Ganzaga, all Couture has to do is wait until he tries to kick, grab the leg , take him down, ground and pound his butt for the win, way easier than fighting Ganzaga where Courture has to watch his striking and submission skills, I truley believe Couture would maul Cro cop if they fought, Randy always competes and has the perfect game plan for many opponites.
wilwith1l
7/29/07 8:41:39PM
Joe Rogan is prolly just hypin the fight to come. Plus he's friends with Randy.

Randy is Uh-merican, and Mirko is from Croatia.
cmill21
7/29/07 8:42:20PM
Would you have said that 8 months ago?
Lord_Lenny
7/29/07 9:09:51PM

Posted by cmill21

WTF are you talking about? Yes coleman comes out and goes at you as does randleman, but if you don't think thats a good idea against Mirko please quit talking in an mma forum. Randy's a good wrestler, Coleman took 7th place at the 1992 summer olympics, Randleman is a two time Div 1 champ, Yoshida is a Judo gold medalist(type of wrestling). Whats Randy's biggest accomplishment in wrestling? Now lets examine how randy did aginst the best striker he's faced, chuck liddell 2-1 losing his last two fights.

MMA wrestling is different than traditional wrestling though, Randy's wrestling translates better into MMA than maybe anyone's, so traditional wrestling accomplishments are quite overrated. In the fights with Liddell, he was fighting a guy with one of the best takedown defenses in the game, with an underrated ground game, and an uncanny ability to stand up again. I also thought he tried to stand up with chuck too much. If randy fought Mirko i think he would clinch, take him to the ground and outclass him there, provided CroCop doesn't catch him with something first

Something iv always thought about is, that its gotta be a lot easier to train for a guy like cro cop, than chuck. For a guy who always has a plan, randy would be more well suited to fight a guy like Mirko because he has a textbook striking game, and you know what to expect. Whereas Chuck has a more unorthodox/wild striking game that's hard to predict when trying to clinch, or shooting for a takedown.
bayonetxwork
7/29/07 9:30:17PM
I don't see what the big deal is about. Randy very well could maul Cro Cop, but it could go either way, no biggy.
cmill21
7/29/07 9:31:31PM
So you feel Greco translates better then judo, sambo, and freestyle? I might agree with freestyle, not judo, and sambo. Now please explain the Mirko Fedor fight, if Fedor coulden't "maul" Mirko, how do you propose Randy will? Fedor's GnP in pretty much everyone who knows anything about MMA agrees Fedor's is the best. Now in no way am I saying Randy wouldn't win, and in no way am I saying Mirko woulden't win, but I am saying there's no way Randy would maul a fully focused Mirko, who wants to fight. Another thing, how do you prepare for the accuracy of Mirko's punches, the leg kicks, body kicks, and the head kicks? You can get better BJJ guys then gonzaga to train with, you can train with better wrestlers then Randy, but unless you get hoost to come train with you your going to be hard pressed to find a better striker.
DangerousDjohn
7/29/07 9:46:03PM
Go Kongo!
bootyclause
7/29/07 9:57:31PM
Gonzaga mauled Cro Cop. Diaz mauled Gomi. Arlovski mauled Werdum. Monson mauled Fujita.

yeah, Randy could maul Cro Cop.
cmill21
7/29/07 10:02:20PM
Arlovski mauled Werdum? Your post lost all credibility right there.
loonytnt
7/29/07 11:10:22PM
Randy could maul Cro Cop, i think he would and im a big cro cop fan i love watchin him fight but i dont see randy tryin to stand with him and thats alot of cro cops game, kicks dont work when your close and you all know that randy is not going stand there and eat a kick and if he does cro cop is going down. Randy would ground and pound him out i dont know why people dont think he would pride and ufc have dif rules on the ground, cro cop was not even training in a cage!! because he didnt think he had to, he may be now( i hope ). The whole joe rogan thing idk he gets paid to talk so it may have been a 'say this say that' thing you never know,
DevonFoxy
7/29/07 11:20:41PM
I remember hearing him say that and i was shocked. I dont think anyone can maul Cro Cop and tho Gonzaga did control much of the match CroCop got some nice kicks in and even a light one left a huge welt. I do think Couture would have an easier time with Cro Cop tho and i think Joe Rogan was stressing on how much of a harder fight this is going to be for Couture and not so much a put down to Cro Cop.
cmill21
7/29/07 11:21:01PM
Read up, he bought a cage, brought in Ricco, and he's training with elbows. He's also pissed off because he feels the US and the UFC don't respect him. Just so everyone knows last time he was pissed off because he felt disrespected was in the OWGP. Not saying he's going to fight the same, no one will know until september 8th. Yeah randy could maul him, I don't think he would, Mirko has a very good sprawl and it's tough to get close enough to clinch.
loonytnt
7/29/07 11:38:59PM
good he can be pissed all he wants and we will see what he does with it, but i got kongo walking away with this. And why are we talking about randy and cro cop, randys the champ!! and cro cop got knocked the .... out, so... lol thats all that needs to be said about that. go randy
LR
7/29/07 11:50:02PM
Randy would maul CroCop, had it been right after the Gonzaga fight. But now, CroCop is most likely training in the Octagon, and against ground game and elbows. I doubt he would be able to maul him. It'd be a closer fight, but at times, Randy tries to stand and throw punches, and I think Mirko would have a great chance at KOing him.
cmill21
7/30/07 12:03:52AM

Posted by loonytnt

good he can be pissed all he wants and we will see what he does with it, but i got kongo walking away with this. And why are we talking about randy and cro cop, randys the champ!! and cro cop got knocked the .... out, so... lol thats all that needs to be said about that. go randy

I'm going to tell you something, after watching all of kongo's fights i've noticed something. His stance, well it's a death sentence when fighting a striker like Mirko. His hands are about chest high and his shoulders are down. His agression is a good thing, but with his hands that low expect to see a repeat of the Mirko vs. Sapp fight. Now as for Randy being the champ, yes he is, unfortunetly gg will beat him. I've acctually said it before, the gg fight was the best thing that could have happend to Mirko, had he fought randy after sanchez he would have gotten crushed, why? Because he woulden't have trained in a cage or with elbows. As for now, I really doubt randy would maul Mirko.
richieb19
7/30/07 1:35:35AM

Posted by bootyclause
Arlovski *mauled Werdum.

*got bitchslapped by...

cmill21
7/30/07 1:39:08AM
He probly could have Ko'd him with that shot had he not been trying to slap.
ocho-cinco
7/30/07 4:40:59AM
I realy like Joe Rogan, I have since I've been a fan of the UFC. He is normally a very inteligent analyist. Great apearance on the Chapell Show. "There's something you should know about me Joe Rogan....I smoke rock." lol. I still like him even after hearing that he said this bullshit. But thats what it is, bullshit. If he thinks Cro Cop will lose because he is a big strong striker who doesn't like to be on the ground (resmbling Sylvia's description), then thats just a mistake. I think Cro Cop would **** Sylvia up. Just because Couture mauled Sylvia, that doesn't mean he will Maul Crop Cop because they have a similar descritions in there fighting skills. I'm prety sure Sylvia wouldn't cut it in K-1. Cro Cop may not have been impressive thus far in the UFC, but It should be clear to everyone that he is still a man to be feared. Some people take longer to adjust to there new suroundings, but I'm sure Cro Cop will find his rythem soon enough for Rogan to wish he could take back what he said. Randy has the ability to beat Cro Cop, but Maul him?Thats what Fedor would do to Jens Pulver. Come on Joe, your better then that.
Mastodon2
7/30/07 7:02:28AM
I like Rogan, granted he doesnt have anything on the Pride's big 3 (Bas Rutten, Stephen Quadros and Mauro Ranallo) but he is decent, but I do think he jocks Couture way too much, Couture is a strong guy with a good skill set, but he isnt super man. I think if he faced CC, he could take him down, but Mirko is strong, he could power out of it, and once it was standing, Cro Cop would murder him. Couture's boxing isnt all that great, mainly because his punches dont have a great deal of power, and his "bob and weave tactics", that worked against Tim, won't work against Cro Cop. Cro Cop by knockout.
Signal2112
7/30/07 9:18:21AM
I like Randy, and I know Joe does, but thats a ridiculous thing to say.

I think, if he could manage to get Cro Cop down (and he'd be relying on getting him off balance rather than outpowering him, which I don't think he could do), Cro Cop would power out of it and get back to this feet. And then, well, thats Mirko's game. I don't think he would go guns blazing for the kills knowing that Randy could take him down, but I don't think he'd have any trouble picking him apart, even if he neglected to use kicks of any kind!
thepunisher
7/30/07 11:21:51AM
Rogan is a Couture fanboy
Pages: [1] 2 3