UFC’s Joe Rogan | Marijuana Is A Performance Enhancing Drug

MMAPlayground.com » Community » MMA News Share Forum » UFC’s Joe Rogan | Marijuana Is A Performance Enhancing Drug
Manak
2/15/12 5:50:26PM
LINK

“I think it is a performance enhancing drug. A lot of Brazilian guys use marijuana before they train. A lot of American jiu-jitsu guys use it before they train. And they don’t do it because it hurts them; they do it because it helps them.”
airkerma
2/15/12 6:31:44PM
Sounds kind of like a stretch to say it is an actual PED in athletics. I would certainly call it a form of PED when CoD is involved
babalu46
2/15/12 7:40:56PM
I'm not sure if physically it's a performance enhancer but I feel mentally it is.

I feel I take things in better when smoking and I definitely feel it's much easier to get in "The Zone" when under the influence of marijuana, it's a legitimate point IMO.
warglory
2/15/12 9:13:20PM
I don't think anyone can deny that Marijuana can mentally prepare certain people for the pressure of performing in the Octagon. Would it work for everyone? No, but it's a drug and hits people differently, but for people who use it to calm nerves, it can certainly be beneficial.
sbulldavid
2/15/12 10:05:42PM
Marijuana is a forum enhancing drug
Aether
2/15/12 10:25:36PM
I would say it slows reaction time, which is a pretty huge negative in terms of fighting. It's hard to really make any concrete claims because of the fact that it's illegal and there's very little testing done on it as a result. From personal experience though it slows reaction time significantly, which IMO is a bigger detriment than the positives of relaxation and pain killing.
DeadHead988
2/15/12 10:35:54PM
Marijuana is an everything-enhancing flower(not drug, drugs are made in laboratories). I'm a relatively successful grappler and soon-to-be mixed martial artist and I smoke before training and even before competing sometimes. I feel that it's greatest advantage is that when you're not training it allows you to analyze and break down techniques in ways you couldn't have possibly imagined sober. I dedicate many of my achievements in life to the cannabis plant. Sorry if I went off on a rant.
warglory
2/15/12 10:51:50PM

Posted by DeadHead988

Marijuana is an everything-enhancing flower(not drug, drugs are made in laboratories). I'm a relatively successful grappler and soon-to-be mixed martial artist and I smoke before training and even before competing sometimes. I feel that it's greatest advantage is that when you're not training it allows you to analyze and break down techniques in ways you couldn't have possibly imagined sober. I dedicate many of my achievements in life to the cannabis plant. Sorry if I went off on a rant.

Sorry to sidestep your opinion as it is a completely valid one, but you don't think marijuana is a drug? I love coffee, but I am the first to admit that it's a drug, and you don't need a lab to put a cup of joe in my mug in the morning.

I think the term drug has a negative connotation, but it is what it is, you know?
DeadHead988
2/15/12 10:58:48PM

Posted by warglory

Posted by DeadHead988

Sorry to sidestep your opinion as it is a completely valid one, but you don't think marijuana is a drug? I love coffee, but I am the first to admit that it's a drug, and you don't need a lab to put a cup of joe in my mug in the morning.

I think the term drug has a negative connotation, but it is what it is, you know?

Yes, by the literal definition of anything that affects how the body functions marijuana is a drug, but then so is oxygen, vitamin c, and chapstick. I was referring to my own personal definiton of a drug.
Manak
2/15/12 11:36:18PM

Posted by DeadHead988

Posted by warglory

Posted by DeadHead988

Yes, by the literal definition of anything that affects how the body functions marijuana is a drug, but then so is oxygen, vitamin c, and chapstick. I was referring to my own personal definiton of a drug.

understandable that drugs have a different meaning for everyone. I tend to put a negative connotation to the word drugs as warglory states (just like when ppl hear diet they think of not eating and for use of losing weight). When it comes to Lab drugs vs weed isn't pretty much the same thing when ppl are doing all sorts of things to make different types of weed?? I know of no one who smokes the stuff just planted in the ground and growing with just water and sun. so to me its hard to say its "natural" or not a drug when ppl are altering its makeup to create different doses.
BeeR
2/16/12 6:23:39AM
"I am not impress by your puff-ormance"
BigBadAl
2/16/12 7:22:25AM
Just makes me paranoid. Like Diaz when he's sober.
Sir_Karl
2/16/12 10:16:42AM
Bravo Rogan. I said the same thing right after Nick got nabbed. It is definitely a PED. No doubt about it. It is much easier to get into the zone.or "the now"...or whatever you want to call it. This is the same reason many musicians get smoked....they play better....flat out. They are more creative. Their musical chops...or in the case of a fighter...their techniques....just come out by themselves. Doing and not thinking. If you know anything about Bruce Lee's concepts and philosophies in Jeet Kune Do....mary jane can help you get to the now, the one, the flow etc I think this is why Bruce was experimenting with Hashish before he died. By the way....Hashish did not kill him as many silly rumors proclaim. THC is definitely a performance enhancing "drug" though.
Poor_Franklin
2/16/12 2:10:37PM
i personally can see many scenarios where Marijuana can have the same performance enhancing qualities as zoloft for a depressed fighter or coffee if needing caffeine or even the shit everyone buys at gnc while training

should it be considered a PED & be on the banned list?

going w/ federal law? yes

does Fighter A who takes marijuana to help him w/ his depression have any more of a leg up on Fighter B who takes Zoloft for depression? no
Pookie
2/16/12 5:10:46PM
In the context of his quote. Supplements, and Vitamins would also be performance enhancing drugs. And those are legal.

So clearly this quote isn't the same as saying Marijuana is in the same group as steroids or other listed PED's, but moreso that it is helpful in some respects. I would say it helps build endurance to train on it as you become short of breath quicker, but that it also hurts your endurance if you were to use it before a fight for the same reasons.

tn_rebel
2/17/12 4:00:27PM
Come on guys! Marijuana a PED? Caffeine is more of a PED than weed. From my experiences the only thing it puts you in the zone for is video games. It can hurt reaction time, cardio, and aggressiveness. I would much rather run into someone i didn't like with a sober head. Its not like he is taking illegal drugs. Medical marijuana is legal in Cali and i'm sure both the Diaz brothers have their green card. Not to mention, the munchies would make it alot harder to make weight.
Aether
2/17/12 4:16:17PM

Posted by tn_rebel

Come on guys! Marijuana a PED? Caffeine is more of a PED than weed. From my experiences the only thing it puts you in the zone for is video games. It can hurt reaction time, cardio, and aggressiveness. I would much rather run into someone i didn't like with a sober head. Its not like he is taking illegal drugs. Medical marijuana is legal in Cali and i'm sure both the Diaz brothers have their green card. Not to mention, the munchies would make it alot harder to make weight.

Interestingly enough I used to play video games competitively, and I can say that pot definitely was detrimental to my reaction time. If we were playing a big tournament I would quit smoking pot for a couple of weeks beforehand and my reaction time would skyrocket. Whether that means that the same is true for everyone I can't say, but it definitely slowed my reaction time A LOT.
tn_rebel
2/17/12 4:18:35PM

Posted by Aether

Posted by tn_rebel

Interestingly enough I used to play video games competitively, and I can say that pot definitely was detrimental to my reaction time. If we were playing a big tournament I would quit smoking pot for a couple of weeks beforehand and my reaction time would skyrocket. Whether that means that the same is true for everyone I can't say, but it definitely slowed my reaction time A LOT.

Maybe it just puts me in the mood to play video games.