Is Joe Flacco a Elite QB?

MMAPlayground.com » Off Topic » Off Topic » Is Joe Flacco a Elite QB?
Next Page »
POLL: Is he Elite
Yes 26% (8)
No 74% (23)
prophecy033
2/4/13 7:44:06PM
Now that he has won a Super Bowl and its MVP, is Flacco a Elite QB?
BeeR
2/4/13 7:51:23PM
His stats say yes, his performance says yes, Id have to agree
sparky
2/4/13 7:53:51PM
He is to on an off in my opinion, but he sure played like one on sunday night
cowcatcher
2/4/13 8:01:01PM
Elite implies that he's one of only a few at the top, there can't be 15 elite QB's so I'd say no. Rodgers, Brady, Brees and Manning are probably the 4 elites, with a couple of tiers below them for the rest of the guys. Flacco is one or two tiers down IMO.
BuffaloDave
2/4/13 8:06:23PM
He finally backed up his talk, so yeah. I don't hold him as good as the usual Elite QB's in discussion, but he is definitely on the back end of those normal guys everyone talks about.
Poor_Franklin
2/4/13 8:08:19PM
no he's not elite, but that does not mean that he isnt very good
Bubbles
2/4/13 8:47:17PM
his playoff performances say so, his regular season not so much. He should have played in the Superbowl last year if Lee Evans didn't butter his hands or if Cundiff could make a simple 35 yarder like he did all season. He outplayed Brady twice and Manning on the road, and has a road playoff win in every single season

He won't put up #1 fantasy QB stats during the season like a Brees or Rodgers...or even Stafford...but at the end of the day, wins are all that matters. He is 1 tier below "elite" but I can't really fault people if they want to have him in the discussion based on playoff performances
40ouncetofreedom
2/4/13 8:54:36PM
Trent Dilfer won a super bowl...Was he elite ?

Twenty20Dollars
2/4/13 9:14:28PM
He's good, he wins. He also has a good structure beside him, good running game and good defense to where the team doesn't always have rely on him, as like with how Manning was with the Colts or Rodgers with Green Bay lately, Brees, Brady(better ground game this season).
prozacnation1978
2/4/13 9:46:40PM
I say no. But if he wins another in next three years I say yes
prophecy033
2/4/13 9:59:16PM

Posted by iwannabesedated

That's a horrible comparison. Flacco is twice the QB Dilfer ever was. Plus Flacco played better in the Biggest game of the year
Shawn91111
2/4/13 10:47:29PM
3rd Tier looking to move into 2nd.
Michael_Corleone
2/4/13 11:36:53PM
Depends on your definition of Elite. Some people think there are maybe 8 Elite QB's in the NFL. Some people think there are only 3.
FlashyG
2/4/13 11:48:00PM

Did Dilfer win a Superbowl MVP?
Lead his team to the playoffs in every season he's played?
Win a playoff game in each of those years setting an NFL record?

I think the question depends on how many QB's you can call elite without watering down the term too much. IMO he's probably around the 6-10 range if we were ranking them all, but many of those ahead of him are nearing the end of their careers and he's still young.

I wouldn't put him in that category yet, but I think might be in a couple years time.
40ouncetofreedom
2/5/13 8:13:32AM

Posted by FlashyG

Did Dilfer win a Superbowl MVP?
Lead his team to the playoffs in every season he's played?
Win a playoff game in each of those years setting an NFL record?

I think the question depends on how many QB's you can call elite without watering down the term too much. IMO he's probably around the 6-10 range if we were ranking them all, but many of those ahead of him are nearing the end of their careers and he's still young.

I wouldn't put him in that category yet, but I think might be in a couple years time.

So, Dexter Jackson won a super bowl MVP as a kick returner people put too much merit into being really good for 1 big game, Elite IMO when you win league MVP's and put up the consistent stats while winning. Flacco appears to be a winner but he's not elite IMO.
SpiderSilva
2/5/13 10:18:49AM
as an angry broncos fan he got lucky to tie the game vs the broncos a few weeks ago on the last play of the game.
Bubbles
2/5/13 11:41:55AM

So, Dexter Jackson won a super bowl MVP as a kick returner people put too much merit into being really good for 1 big game, Elite IMO when you win league MVP's and put up the consistent stats while winning. Flacco appears to be a winner but he's not elite IMO.

he's been good for 5 years in the games that matter...playoffs. No he will never have top fantasy QB stats, but that isn't what makes a QB elite. Matt Stafford was a few yards shy of posting back-to-back 5000 yard seasons and will probably have more yards and TDs than Flacco at the end of his career, but does that make him a better QB than Flacco if everything else stays the same? Flacco I think has a better record than Brees and Rodgers in the playoffs, but those guys are considered elite.

He will never win an MVP because he isn't putting up the fantasy stats nor has the name value of the other guys. He's not "elite" yet, but he is pretty damn close

NFL records (5 years in the league)

First rookie quarterback to start all sixteen games and make the playoffs (shared with Matt Ryan)
First rookie quarterback to win two playoff games
Most starts by a quarterback in first season: 19
Most starts by a quarterback in first two seasons: 37
Most starts by a quarterback in first three seasons: 55
Most starts by a quarterback in first four seasons: 73
Most starts by a quarterback in first five seasons: 92
Most wins by a quarterback in first 80 consecutive starts: 54
Most combined regular and postseason wins in first three years as a quarterback: 36 (tied with Dan Marino)
Only quarterback to start and win a playoff game in each of his first five seasons
Most road playoff wins by a quarterback: 6
Bubbles
2/5/13 11:43:28AM

Posted by SpiderSilva

as an angry broncos fan he got lucky to tie the game vs the broncos a few weeks ago on the last play of the game.

conversely, the Broncos were lucky to get 2 return TDs to keep them afloat
40ouncetofreedom
2/5/13 1:12:46PM

Posted by Bubbles

he's been good for 5 years in the games that matter...playoffs. No he will never have top fantasy QB stats, but that isn't what makes a QB elite. Matt Stafford was a few yards shy of posting back-to-back 5000 yard seasons and will probably have more yards and TDs than Flacco at the end of his career, but does that make him a better QB than Flacco if everything else stays the same? Flacco I think has a better record than Brees and Rodgers in the playoffs, but those guys are considered elite.

He will never win an MVP because he isn't putting up the fantasy stats nor has the name value of the other guys. He's not "elite" yet, but he is pretty damn close

NFL records (5 years in the league)

First rookie quarterback to start all sixteen games and make the playoffs (shared with Matt Ryan)
First rookie quarterback to win two playoff games
Most starts by a quarterback in first season: 19
Most starts by a quarterback in first two seasons: 37
Most starts by a quarterback in first three seasons: 55
Most starts by a quarterback in first four seasons: 73
Most starts by a quarterback in first five seasons: 92
Most wins by a quarterback in first 80 consecutive starts: 54
Most combined regular and postseason wins in first three years as a quarterback: 36 (tied with Dan Marino)
Only quarterback to start and win a playoff game in each of his first five seasons
Most road playoff wins by a quarterback: 6

Lol starts ? Ok that has nothing to do with staying healthy and being the best QB on the team the year he was drafted.The other 3 stats hold weight but He's played on a consistent winning team.

Down by 5 with under 2 mins to go at to your own 20...Would you have Flacco in your top 5 to march you down the field ?

He's a top 10 really good QB, but not elite....Yet.

he checks down to his RB,FB,TE then lobs a bomb to Smith which draws a pass interference call 60% of the time or an ugly pass to Boldin that he makes a great catch on.

SpiderSilva
2/5/13 1:21:03PM

Posted by Bubbles

Posted by SpiderSilva

conversely, the Broncos were lucky to get 2 return TDs to keep them afloat

Around the same as the tipped int return or the missed fg.
FlashyG
2/5/13 2:23:47PM

Down by 5 with under 2 mins to go at to your own 20...Would you have Flacco in your top 5 to march you down the field ?

I'd rather a QB that doesn't put his team in a position to need a 2-minute drill drive to win a game.
40ouncetofreedom
2/5/13 2:59:38PM

Posted by FlashyG

I'd rather a QB that doesn't put his team in a position to need a 2-minute drill drive to win a game.

It's a team game, There is defense too, How many times does a QB bring his team back only to have the D let the team other score then get put in that situation ??

But awesome job of avoiding the question to begin with.
FlashyG
2/5/13 3:23:18PM

Posted by FlashyG

It's a team game, There is defense too, How many times does a QB bring his team back only to have the D let the team other score then get put in that situation ??

If you check my original response I already said I didn't think he was in the category of Elite.

I just took issue with your ridiculous comparison between him and Trent Dilfer.
40ouncetofreedom
2/5/13 3:30:43PM

Posted by FlashyG

Posted by FlashyG

If you check my original response I already said I didn't think he was in the category of Elite.

I just took issue with your ridiculous comparison between him and Trent Dilfer.

The only reason i made that comparison, is because now that he won a super bowl people have this discussion on if he is elite.My point was Dilfer won a super bowl and he is far from elite.You don't have to be elite to win a super bowl. Really i think the word "elite" in general is kinda dumb.

It comes down to being clutch and making the plays when you need to.

Any team that has a QB that consistently wins and puts up decent numbers that they're not going to trade could be considered elite.

Manning is said to be "elite", but has a losing playoff record, While Flacco has a better playoff record...That doesn't make Flacco a better QB...I think it's basically an opinionated subject to begin with, with no real justification...I'd say Brady is "elite" but he choked this year.
Poor_Franklin
2/5/13 3:38:13PM
Elite is a word that people try to throw around every Super Bowl & every World Series & every other Championship. it's ridiculous.

When I think of elite, I think of Michael Jordan, Joe Montana, Nolan Ryan, etc......ELITE guys!!!! Not a guy that just won his 1st SB & had to tell us that he was elite before the season started.
40ouncetofreedom
2/5/13 3:47:18PM

Posted by Poor_Franklin

Elite is a word that people try to throw around every Super Bowl & every World Series & every other Championship. it's ridiculous.

When I think of elite, I think of Michael Jordan, Joe Montana, Nolan Ryan, etc......ELITE guys!!!! Not a guy that just won his 1st SB & had to tell us that he was elite before the season started.

Hey now, Nolan Ryan is the all-time walks leader and never won a cy young and also pitched for like 30 years...he ain't elite!!!!!!!!!!
Poor_Franklin
2/5/13 4:00:14PM

Posted by Poor_Franklin

Hey now, Nolan Ryan is the all-time walks leader and never won a cy young and also pitched for like 30 years...he ain't elite!!!!!!!!!!

40ouncetofreedom
2/5/13 4:16:43PM

Posted by Poor_Franklin

Posted by Poor_Franklin

Lol well he is the walks leader,never won a cy young and did pitch in 4 different decades i do believe.The fact he never won a cy young he apparently was never the best pitcher in the league any of the years he pitched. In all fairness his pitching competition was fucking unreal though.
Poor_Franklin
2/5/13 7:11:09PM
one can be elite w/out being the best in his day, ask Cristiano Ronaldo
Shawn91111
2/5/13 7:46:30PM

Posted by Poor_Franklin

one can be elite w/out being the best in his day, ask Cristiano Ronaldo

Eh id disagree without another example. I dont follow soccer, so couldnt comment on Ronaldo
Pages: [1] 2