So...I take it Joe Duerte is NOT the "next Anderson Silva" ?

MMAPlayground.com » MMA General » UFC Forum » So...I take it Joe Duerte is NOT the "next Anderson Silva" ?
emfleek
9/18/08 10:08:38AM
PWNED.

WAR JUNIE BROWNING

gartface
9/18/08 10:29:06AM

Posted by emfleek

PWNED.

WAR JUNIE BROWNING

Junie Browning is a hard ass. I really thought Duarte would handle Phillipe, but definitely got proven wrong.
emfleek
9/18/08 10:33:58AM
I don't know if I've ever been more excited for a fighter from TUF than I have been for Junie Browning. And I had never even heard of him prior to watching the premiere. Very impressive.

I loved what Mir said...

"You broke him mentally! I looooooove that."
gsquat
9/18/08 10:36:34AM
I hope he wasn't referring to Browning as the next A. Silva either. Although impressive, he was not a crisp fighter like Silva. He was tougher and liked to get close and take it to the ground. There were a couple of times where a more skilled jj opponent could've made him tap. Duarte was a douche... or apparently a criminal.
Aether
9/18/08 11:22:19AM
I think it's insane to call anyone on TUF "the next anderson silva" honestly, although I was thoroughly impressed with Junie as well. The next anderson silva is going way over the top though.
emfleek
9/18/08 11:23:51AM

Posted by Aether

I think it's insane to call anyone on TUF "the next anderson silva" honestly, although I was thoroughly impressed with Junie as well. The next anderson silva is going way over the top though.

If it lands more viewers, Dana has done his job of hyping the guy up.
prozacnation1978
9/18/08 11:34:48AM
i was thinking same thing when i watched it last night
emfleek
9/18/08 11:44:53AM

Posted by prozacnation1978

i was thinking same thing when i watched it last night

When Duerte's fight started, I thought for sure it was going to be a quick finish. I waited. And I waited. And waited...

And then I thought, "Oh...well maybe it's just gonna be a sweet KO or Submission." So I waited more. And waited. And then he tapped.

No wonder he signed with Colossal Fighting Championship or whatever the heck it's called.
tmas
9/18/08 12:46:55PM
From what i understand Duerte is brought back onto the show when a fighter gets injured after his 1st fight. Then he dominates the show.

That was the rumor that he lost his 1st fight, but was brought back and was able to keep the rest of the fights on his feets and destroy people.

i guess well see. Sucks i was really hoping it was Duerte.
emfleek
9/18/08 1:11:09PM

Posted by tmas

From what i understand Duerte is brought back onto the show when a fighter gets injured after his 1st fight. Then he dominates the show.

That was the rumor that he lost his 1st fight, but was brought back and was able to keep the rest of the fights on his feets and destroy people.

i guess well see. Sucks i was really hoping it was Duerte.

D'oh.
GrizzlyChadams
9/18/08 2:05:33PM
Their is still another series of fights left to get into the house so why wouldn't you assume the "next anderson silva" just hasn't fought yet?
emfleek
9/18/08 2:13:42PM

Posted by GrizzlyChadams

Their is still another series of fights left to get into the house so why wouldn't you assume the "next anderson silva" just hasn't fought yet?

Right, but rumors have been circulating that Duerte was the "next Anderson Silva" which is why I started this thread.
mrkennedy
9/18/08 2:24:44PM
nover is the next anderson silva

JUNIE BROWNING
juanez13
9/18/08 3:13:57PM

Posted by emfleek

Posted by Aether

If it lands more viewers, Dana has done his job of hyping the guy up.

Pretty sure Dana might have been talking about Duarte's opponent when he was comparing him to A. Silva, Phillipe or whatever his name is (the guy that passed out). I dont think he meant it so much as to he would be dominant etc, but in terms of fighting styles, which appeared to be somewhat similar, although A. Silva obviously the better fighter, they do have a similar style. Phillipe showed a great clinch (one of anderson's best qualities) and tight BJJ. Although he looked good, still think Junie will win, but we have yet to see the other half of the fighters, so there might be a few guys to watch out for there too,
emfleek
9/18/08 3:21:16PM
WAAAAAAAAAAR JUNIE

MMAcca
9/18/08 3:28:46PM

Posted by emfleek

WAAAAAAAAAAR JUNIE

All jokes aside though, i am 'the next Anderson Silva'
Pookie
9/18/08 6:14:56PM

Posted by gsquat

I hope he wasn't referring to Browning as the next A. Silva either. Although impressive, he was not a crisp fighter like Silva. He was tougher and liked to get close and take it to the ground. There were a couple of times where a more skilled jj opponent could've made him tap. Duarte was a douche... or apparently a criminal.

I think youre referring to aguilar, the guy that is like hitler, you know back in the DC times with napoleon and shit.
dannyfrank
9/18/08 7:38:36PM

Posted by Pookie

Posted by gsquat

I think youre referring to aguilar, the guy that is like hitler, you know back in the DC times with napoleon and shit.

that fight had to have the best smack talk ever with him saying that and then junie saying "he thinks hes gonna beat me? he has a better chance of getting me pregnant"
bls1919
9/18/08 9:15:19PM
Juni should be fun to watch in and out of the octagon
tmas
9/19/08 3:35:20PM
also for those of you who missed it Dana said on the tuf 1 marathon that there is a guy who is the next anderson silva and he also said there is anouther guy who makes chris leben look like ( i forget the word) but basically and angel.

i think Junie browning is the chris leben guy. When watching the show i thought to myself he reminds me of leben but more full of himself. Edit was very similar to leben.
Leben kept saying stuff about how nonone there can fight like him/as good as him. This is the first thing we see Junie say, "the difference btw me and these other guys....i can fight."
Chris was undoubtly an alocholhic. Junie then goes on to mention one of the reasons he is there is the free alchol.

Junie=Chris.
blank=Silva
Tein_Lung
9/19/08 3:45:02PM

Posted by Pookie

Posted by gsquat

isn't the DC times a newspaper?
imanidiot777
9/19/08 4:46:08PM

Posted by tmas

also for those of you who missed it Dana said on the tuf 1 marathon that there is a guy who is the next anderson silva and he also said there is anouther guy who makes chris leben look like ( i forget the word) but basically and angel.

i think Junie browning is the chris leben guy. When watching the show i thought to myself he reminds me of leben but more full of himself. Edit was very similar to leben.
Leben kept saying stuff about how nonone there can fight like him/as good as him. This is the first thing we see Junie say, "the difference btw me and these other guys....i can fight."
Chris was undoubtly an alocholhic. Junie then goes on to mention one of the reasons he is there is the free alchol.

Junie=Chris.
blank=Silva

Sounds like a good explanation, I hope his Silva comparison didn't come yet although it could be Phillipe as someone else said, just based on his style and not necessarily his dominance. But who knows we've only seen half the fights and its still only the first fight for each guy, anything could happen over the show.
jiujitsufreak74
9/19/08 6:09:09PM
i was saying the exact same thing as i watched him fight. my friends and i decided that it was just Dana white trying to get people to bet on Joe to win the show as a joke. when i heard Joe signed with another org i figured Dana would have been pissed, but after watching his fight i assume that isn't the case.

i can really picture Dana just laughing his ass off at the thousands of people who picked Joe to win the show because of his comments. i mean this is the man who said Fedor is not a top 5 fighter, so what would make him say a guy who a) isn't fighting in the UFC, and b) has no spectacular fights, is the next Anderson Silva?
hodge
9/21/08 3:12:47PM
TMAS dont take this wrong but you have a very punchable face
KINGJAMES
9/21/08 4:18:07PM
No offense dude but
Believe-in-judo81
9/22/08 11:07:24AM
I don't watch TUF at all really, if someone teels me one of the fights on an episode was good I'll catch the fight and the fight only when it replays but beyond that I pay it no attention at all. This season is changing that. I'm a big Nog fan to the end and Junie Allen Browning is an absolute riot. Seriously, that kid has a career in comedy if fighting doesn't pan out. Interesting (to me) side note: I'm a little bit shocked (read:embarrassed) that this guy lives a few hours from me and I had never heard of him prior to his being announced for TUF 8. Odd.
RhythmAndStyle
9/22/08 12:23:06PM
thats just somethin Dana says..so that you'll watch TUF...
gsquat
9/24/08 9:56:01AM
Just wanted to clarify a typo in a previous post. I said Joe Duerte was a douche when I meant Jose Aguilar. Didn't quite have the names down yet. The one who likens himself to Napoleon and Hitler is the douche.