Joe Daddy - Fatal Flaw?

MMAPlayground.com » MMA General » UFC Forum » Joe Daddy - Fatal Flaw?
scoozna
2/22/09 8:17:41PM
All right, there's a lot of smart fight-analyzers and skill-set analyzers on here. Somebody break it down for me. Why didn't Joe Stevenson try harder (or try hardly at all) to take it to the ground? Why stand and bang almost the whole 15 minutes with Diego?

Until I hear a better argument, I'm going to say Joe Daddy suffers from two fatal flaws:
1. He doesn't come into a fight with a good gameplan. ( a complete guess on my part)
2. He's not fight-smart enough to adapt during a fight with a gameplan that is not working (or is just plain nuts, the gameplan that is).

(For the record, I picked Diego).
Pookie
2/22/09 8:19:18PM
I believe its because on the ground he wouldnt have been able to keep top position, and would have put himself in a worse position.
higdon10
2/22/09 8:35:54PM
I think that Stevenson is a very skilled fighter and would defeat the majority of the guys at 155, but he has been overmatched in 3 of his last 4 fights(with Tibau being the exception, and he is no slouch).
milfhunter
2/22/09 8:54:06PM
what happens to joe daddy now in the ufc? He'll never be a top 5 guy but can beat many of the lws out there...
mkiv9secsupra
2/22/09 9:43:02PM
I dont think it is his gameplanning that is his major flaw. I think his most limiting aspect is his size. He's smaller than 90% of the LW fighters and gives up a big reach and strength advantage. If he could cut the extra 10 lbs then i think hed do amazing at 145. But i dont see him beating guys like Edgar, Sherk, Griffin and obviously Penn, Florian, and Sanchez.. just my oppinion though
lohmann
2/22/09 9:55:37PM
He kept away from the ground because he would lose there.

Joe Stevenson is suffering the Tim Sylvia effect in the UFC 155 division, being matched up against three of (arguably) the top four lightweights the UFC has in his last four fights. His 1-3 record in his last four doesn't reflect on a declining fighter but rather on a fighter matched up against fighters he will probably never be better than. He's being relegated to gatekeeper status; somebody has to do it, and Stevenson will never be a joke.

I don't think he did that poorly against Sanchez either. His gameplan was one where he forced himself into finishing, but unfortunately he was never able to work inside to force a prolonged brawl with Sanchez, which he always wanted. When he was able to, in the third round, he actually started to win.
jakeiceman
2/22/09 10:43:40PM
Yeah I dont want to hear even the slightest inclination that Joe Daddy is anywhere near being cut. He has so much heart and has been fighting only elite fighters. His record of late gives him no justice, he is an excellent fighter.

Its already been said but his major flaw is size, but I think he can get passed the gatekeeper slot and stay near top five. I'm a fan and wish him luck.
Twenty20Dollars
2/22/09 10:59:28PM
It was a bad move by joe to just stand there and trade with diego. Joe only threw punches no knees or kicks. He pulled a sean sherk, when sherk decided to just stand and trade with bj. Not very effective.

Atleast attempt to get the fight to the ground, I mean you never know unless you try.

But Im glad diego won.
Franklinfan47
2/22/09 11:25:02PM
I think he simply gave Diego alot of respect on the ground. His last two losses to Penn and Florian have both come by submission, and maybe thought he had a better chance if he kept it standing. Technically, he was right because it went to a decision.
loller90278
2/22/09 11:57:19PM

Posted by milfhunter

what happens to joe daddy now in the ufc? He'll never be a top 5 guy but can beat many of the lws out there...

this is what we call a gatekeeper!
MMAcca
2/23/09 12:58:28AM

Posted by loller90278

Posted by milfhunter

this is what we call a gatekeeper!

If you can beat Joe then i think you are top 5 in the UFC and should be in the mix for a title shot. The only other LW i can see beating Stevenson is Sherk.

I think after his 3 losses in 4 fights Joe will go on a decent undefeated run now, until he runs into Sherk (or Kenflo/Sanchez) somewhere down the line.
SociopathX
2/23/09 2:04:58AM
haha well said.

Now Joe Daddy can take over Clay Guida's role as the LW designated Gatekeeper.

Now we can finally see Clay Guida move up to contend for the LW BELT!!!! THanks Joe Daddy!!

jakeiceman
2/23/09 3:03:19AM

Posted by SociopathX

haha well said.

Now Joe Daddy can take over Clay Guida's role as the LW designated Gatekeeper.

Now we can finally see Clay Guida move up to contend for the LW BELT!!!! THanks Joe Daddy!!

I dont know if your serious but I'm a huge Guida fan and a big fan of Joe Daddy so I dont know if what you are saying is a good thing or not.

Actually now that I think of it, Joe Daddy and Guida should go at it.
mentalcase
2/23/09 8:41:11AM
joe daddy was never that good he was never a title contender he was just there to lose to bj he has never beaten anyone in the top ten, impressive wins over a past his prime edwards, mishima, and melvin is not that good he could hardly beat pelgrino

lauzon, diaz, neer are all better then him yet they never get mention in the top ten
tmas
2/23/09 8:46:12AM
Here is what i saw.

1.) Joe has solid boxing and wanted to prove to Diego that his standup is good, and that he has evolved ( he let Diego get into his head before the fight and felt like he had something to prove)

2.) He didnt want anypiece of that great Diego ground game. Did you see what Kenny did to Joe? ok Kenny dom Joe on the ground......now guess who dom kenny on the ground???? yep thats right Diego....

I think it was a good game plan, Joe wasnt going to beat Diego on the ground, Diego is a black belt under Jackson, and a purple now under his new homey. Joe has good punching power and he relied on that way to much, he thought he could end the fight with 1 or 2 punches, this is where he faltered, he went for power all the time, didnt put anything together and used only 12 of the 8 point Muy Thai system which made him a 1 dimensional boxer.....
scoozna
2/23/09 9:42:15AM
Good responses...thanks. The common responses seem to be:

1. Size - he's become smaller compared to the competition
2. Just not as good as the top contenders
3. He would have been dominated on the ground.

Maybe I'm giving Joe's black belt under Rober Drysdale too much credit. Historically, Joe has had killer RNCs and leg submissions. I thought that he would have gone for one of those at some point.
jakeiceman
2/23/09 3:50:18PM

Posted by scoozna

Maybe I'm giving Joe's black belt under Rober Drysdale too much credit. Historically, Joe has had killer RNCs and leg submissions. I thought that he would have gone for one of those at some point.

I know what your saying but a black belt under Robert Drysdale is quite the accomplishement. I think Joe Daddy is just following the trend that quite a few fighters have done lately: trying to fight away from thier strengths to prove a point or to entertain the croud. It seems to have been happening alot lately. With Sherk standing with BJ instead of wrestling, or BJ for that matter, I dont think he uses his JJ for offense as much as he should.

Joe Daddy just needs to mix up his strikes with more leg kicks and take it to the ground when he is comfortable.
urbman
2/23/09 4:31:11PM
Unfortanetly for Joe, he is a bit undersized against the majority of his opponents.But he doesn't help himself by being fairly predictable either.He doesn't vary much from one fight to the next in his approach and probably makes it rather easy for his opponents to gameplan for him.I think he could benefit some by implementing some new wrinkles into his arsenal to just keep his opponents off balance somewhat were they couldn't just be comfortable knowing what to expect from him.
deezyo
2/23/09 5:52:21PM
i dont think he couldve took him down, diego seemed stronger
thefyn
2/24/09 2:54:17PM
Just watched UFC again (sober) Joe Daddy looked relieved to lose.

He took some punishment, but looked genuinely delighted that he just got through the match at all.

I was expecting head shakes and anger but he looked like he won the lottery at the end of the fight when he must have known he lost big time.

His fail spiral is pretty spectacular. I just hopes that he realizes he actually does have the tools to beat anyone on his day.