Jim Rome Blasts Chuck Liddell For Calling Out The Spider(short)

MMAPlayground.com » Community » MMA News Share Forum » Jim Rome Blasts Chuck Liddell For Calling Out The Spider(short)
Porch28
9/9/08 6:14:57PM
Chuck Liddell is apparently considering a showdown with P4P stud Anderson Silva to get his mojo back after dropping three of his past four fights...not so fast says popular mainstream sports commentator Jim Rome

LINK
WrestlersAssassin
9/9/08 6:22:13PM
Anderson could and probably would ruin everybody in the LH division, its kinda funny when the Liddell vs Anderson match came up, its really a no brainer especially with his KO loss to Rashad. Think about what Anderson would do to Chuck.

The Competition since the early 00's has changed drastically you can tell from former champs performances recently (RIP Tanner) newer fighters are stepping up these days and going above and beyond in all aspects of the fight game. I hope Chuck gets some no name wins and retires on a high note, because it looks like the downslope of his career.
bullettdodger
9/9/08 6:23:43PM
It would be pretty bad for Chuck to call out The Spider... I don't think his chances are much better than Irvin's were in his fight against Silva.
Jackelope
9/9/08 6:34:37PM
I'd put my money on the spider, but Jim Rome is always trying to talk @#$! to stir the pot. The man is popular because of it, but I doubt he's got the knowledge about the sport to back up his talk. This pick is a no-brainer
wiggum
9/9/08 6:50:58PM
first of all f***k jim rome.....that guy got b***h slapped by chris i mean jim everett.....what does he know about fighting, or sports period, ive never thought he was worth a dime in the knowledge department...i think unless hes in the sport he cant talk that rudely about any sport.....on one hand, yes i think chuck would get ko'd....again....his open stance, open hands and loopy strikes would be like shooting fish in a barrel for spyda....we all know anything can happen in a fight and if someone can knock silva out chuck is on the short list to do it.....but you throw in that fact that chucks style does not match up well with silva (his wrestling isnt gonna play a factor), the fact that hes in the twilight of his career, its a bad matchup....but on the other hand, thats a big pay day for a superbowl weekend headliner type...that fight will sell tickets and ill watch it as well...put it together and let the pieces fall were they may
Aether
9/9/08 7:06:05PM
correct me if I'm wrong, but wasn't jim rome one of the boxing fanatics writing MMA off as human cockfighting and barbarianism barely a year ago? I could be wrong, but I'm pretty sure he was one of the more outspoken critics of the sport.
DiabloFreak56
9/9/08 7:15:30PM
i hate jim rome more than any commentator in the US. he has no right talking about MMA when he bashes it all the time
postman
9/9/08 7:27:23PM
Jim Rome ....... Hes no Scott Ferrall!!! In Jim terms...... WAR Ferrall!
ThaAxeMurderer7
9/9/08 7:34:44PM

Posted by Aether

correct me if I'm wrong, but wasn't jim rome one of the boxing fanatics writing MMA off as human cockfighting and barbarianism barely a year ago? I could be wrong, but I'm pretty sure he was one of the more outspoken critics of the sport.

You are correct. I found it really funny how none of that criticism came up when Dan was on Rome is Burning before his fight with Silva earlier this year. Rome is a tool.
coldchillin
9/9/08 7:41:05PM
while I'm not a fan of Rome's... I thought Rashad finally put The Iceman back in his place. First he calls out Fedor and then now The Spider? If he couldn't take an overhand right from Rashad imagine what Fedor would have done to him.

The UFC should make Liddell fight Rich Franklin next. Now that would be an absolute slugfest.
Bowen50
9/9/08 7:43:49PM
Jim Rome has absolutely no business talking MMA. i dare him to say that to Chucks face. now that thats out of my system Chuck would get destroyed by Anderson. if he takes a fight with Anderson they might as well get the bed ready at the retirement home for him. not that i hate Chuck i just think he's getting up there in age and Anderson Silva isn't the guy you want to try and turn your recent misfortunes around against.
postman
9/9/08 8:25:49PM

Posted by Bowen50

Jim Rome has absolutely no business talking MMA. i dare him to say that to Chucks face. now that thats out of my system Chuck would get destroyed by Anderson. if he takes a fight with Anderson they might as well get the bed ready at the retirement home for him. not that i hate Chuck i just think he's getting up there in age and Anderson Silva isn't the guy you want to try and turn your recent misfortunes around against.

I will give credit I have no doubt he has the ball to say that to Chucks face remeber this

Rome
mikevolz
9/9/08 8:31:57PM
BIGKAT
9/9/08 9:17:05PM
Hey Jim

Tell him that to his face
Matimus
9/9/08 9:24:34PM
Jim Rome is a douchebag to say the least.
But Chuck calling out Anderson is a bullet in the head of whats left of his career
Wolfenstein
9/9/08 10:57:24PM
Jim Rome is a moron. He was blasting MMA before and now he's commentating on it. He obviously doesn't know how much espect the MMA audience has for Chuck either as he's making deraugotory comments about him. Shut up about a sport you know zilch about. Talk about the latest pennant race or some other dinosaur sport.
Aether
9/9/08 11:00:12PM

Posted by postman

Posted by Bowen50

I will give credit I have no doubt he has the ball to say that to Chucks face remeber this

Rome

Haha... that's awesome. It's just too bad that he didn't follow it up by knocking him out like the little punk that he is. I wouldn't just tackle him I would make sure he needed a cast or two. Legal fees are a small price to pay for that opportunity. What a piece of garbage.
tdietel01
9/9/08 11:21:26PM
maybe chuck should quit calling people out!?!?!? he seems to have a pretty big head. the kimbo fight probably the one he should look to sign. he is the biggest name i think chuck can beat at this point
prozacnation1978
9/10/08 12:04:32AM
i like rome but he doesn't know shit about mma
stick to boxing
Mungooch
9/10/08 1:16:51AM
How bout Liddel vs j.Irvin
DoTheMMAth
9/10/08 2:29:14AM
Jim Rome is the Bill Oreilly of sports commentators IMO.
dmfp
9/10/08 4:18:28AM
He just want that big money fight!
HighKick07
9/10/08 8:11:16AM

Standup Guy

Career record: 136-64
Season: 19-11 (#1745)
Bankroll: $3,672 (#478)
44 453 posts
Joined 6/07
NEWwhile I'm not a fan of Rome's... I thought Rashad finally put The Iceman back in his place. First he calls out Fedor and then now The Spider? If he couldn't take an overhand right from Rashad imagine what Fedor would have done to him.

The UFC should make Liddell fight Rich Franklin next. Now that would be an absolute slugfest.
Itotally agree that would be a good match.chuck has had no descent skills in the mma world.He can throw a bar punch and that is it.Anderson would break his face in the 1st rd.
emfleek
9/10/08 8:40:59AM
God forbid a fighter WANTING to fight the best.

Fighters of Chuck's stature (and most other fighters) are ALWAYS gonna want to fight the best. Unlike you, they actually have balls. Let your puny little brains simmer on that one for a bit before you go off flapping at the gums.

Keyboard warriors crack me up.

"cHuCk iS a l0sEr aNd NeEdS tO sHuT hIs MoUtH!!!!!!!!"
kaduey
9/10/08 1:19:12PM

Posted by postman

Ferrall's not much better! People are always putting him in his place on his show (I've done it a few times) and all he does is call them a name and hang up. By the way did you hear his terrible commentating at YAMMA show? Probably the worst I've ever heard.
postman
9/10/08 3:47:30PM

Posted by kaduey

Posted by postman

Ferrall's not much better! People are always putting him in his place on his show (I've done it a few times) and all he does is call them a name and hang up. By the way did you hear his terrible commentating at YAMMA show? Probably the worst I've ever heard.

I will agree Scott has no business calling MMA I didn't hear it but I thought it was a bad Idea. I never hear anyone call him out on mainstream sports he knows hockey better then most anyone and he can pick games better then most. If he is wrong he admits to it I don't think he hangs up on ppl that don't deserve it.
MaxOne
9/10/08 4:10:49PM
Chuck is probably aware that more than likely he's getting toward the end of his career. He should get in as many big pay days as he can while people still line up to see him fight and before he calls it quits.
kaduey
9/11/08 11:06:37AM

Posted by postman

Posted by kaduey

Posted by postman

I will agree Scott has no business calling MMA I didn't hear it but I thought it was a bad Idea. I never hear anyone call him out on mainstream sports he knows hockey better then most anyone and he can pick games better then most. If he is wrong he admits to it I don't think he hangs up on ppl that don't deserve it.

The week before the UFC Montreal show, Ferrall was going on about how GSP is finished if he loses to Serra again, I then called in to explain how wrong he was and he tried to tell me GSP was in his 30s and at the end of his career. I told him GSP was in his 20s and had many matches left in the UFC. Ferrall then hung up on me and went on a tirade about how much he hated Canadians and how we'd be in Russian control if it weren't for America.