Jerry Lawler collapses on Raw

MMAPlayground.com » Off Topic » Off Topic » Jerry Lawler collapses on Raw
Gogoplatapus
9/10/12 10:22:03PM
I'm not a wwf fan, but was on twitter and people are going crazy with this right now.

I just changed to Raw and Lawler is in the ring now, not sure if this is tape delay or hoax or what...crazy.
infestructure
9/10/12 10:28:59PM
Not a fan of pro wrestling but I hope the guy is OK.. Did he get choked or hit or just collapse?

Gogoplatapus
9/10/12 10:31:46PM
Im on tape delay here, he just fought some guys and then it went to commercial.

I think in the states it's live.

Andreas Hale is saying that his sidekick Micheal Cole is silent and that they have acknowledged that it happened.
Chael_Sonnen
9/10/12 10:33:54PM
Andy Kauffman's ghost hit The King over the head with a steel chair.
Budgellism
9/10/12 10:34:53PM
That guy is too old for this shit. I flicked it on after seeing this thread and he seems to be fine. Maybe it was nothing or maybe he needs to go get himself checked out immediately. Either way, wrestling just isn't what it was when I was a little kid . I mean, JR isn't even there. Wtf is that?

Oh god, this is all true. We're on tape delay here in Canada even though it says it's live.

Check out this.

LINK
Gogoplatapus
9/10/12 10:37:55PM

Posted by Budgellism

That guy is too old for this shit. I flicked it on after seeing this thread and he seems to be fine. Maybe it was nothing or maybe he needs to go get himself checked out immediately. Either way, wrestling just isn't what it was when I was a little kid . I mean, JR isn't even there. Wtf is that?

Its tape delay, seems pretty serious now. Helwani just tweeted he's getting CPR backstage.
Budgellism
9/10/12 10:38:41PM
We'll update this situation as word comes in.

UPDATE at 10:20 p.m. ET: After coming back from a commercial break, Michael Cole, while holding back tears, announced that Lawler had collapsed ringside and was taken to the back where they are currently performing CPR.

UPDATE at 10:27 p.m. ET: They just ran an entire match between Sheamus and David Otunga, entrances and all, with Cole remaining completely silent on commentary. He never said a word, although cameras caught him looking at the empty chair next to him. This is eerie and has quickly become extremely uncomfortable. With Bret Hart there and scheduled to come back out and a man's life apparently hanging in the balance, this all just feels so wrong and bad. The show is going on, though.

UPDATE at 10:32 p.m. ET: Bryan Alvarez of the Wrestling Observer tweets: "Apparently there is some discussion of scrapping the rest of the show." Heat of the moment, right now, sitting here and feeling this in my home, that feels like the right call. I can't imagine what it's like for those in attendance or those being asked to continue working.

UPDATE at 10: 38 p.m. ET: Michael Cole announces that Lawler has been taken to a hospital and is receiving oxygen. He is breathing on his own but the situation remains dire. Out of respect for Lawler, they will go the rest of the show without commentary and hopefully be able to give us another update before the show goes off the air.
george112
9/10/12 10:41:52PM
cowcatcher
9/10/12 10:41:59PM

Posted by Budgellism

We'll update this situation as word comes in.

UPDATE at 10:20 p.m. ET: After coming back from a commercial break, Michael Cole, while holding back tears, announced that Lawler had collapsed ringside and was taken to the back where they are currently performing CPR.

UPDATE at 10:27 p.m. ET: They just ran an entire match between Sheamus and David Otunga, entrances and all, with Cole remaining completely silent on commentary. He never said a word, although cameras caught him looking at the empty chair next to him. This is eerie and has quickly become extremely uncomfortable. With Bret Hart there and scheduled to come back out and a man's life apparently hanging in the balance, this all just feels so wrong and bad. The show is going on, though.

UPDATE at 10:32 p.m. ET: Bryan Alvarez of the Wrestling Observer tweets: "Apparently there is some discussion of scrapping the rest of the show." Heat of the moment, right now, sitting here and feeling this in my home, that feels like the right call. I can't imagine what it's like for those in attendance or those being asked to continue working.

UPDATE at 10: 38 p.m. ET: Michael Cole announces that Lawler has been taken to a hospital and is receiving oxygen. He is breathing on his own but the situation remains dire. Out of respect for Lawler, they will go the rest of the show without commentary and hopefully be able to give us another update before the show goes off the air.

Oh man, that's terrible news if it's all true. I haven't watched in a long time, but I love Lawler, the dude is hilarious. Let's hope he's ok.
Budgellism
9/10/12 10:47:27PM
Awful news. I hope he'll be alright.
ChrisSabal
9/10/12 10:51:03PM
oh wow I haven't watched WWE in a while but always love the King. Hope he ends up being ok.
Gogoplatapus
9/10/12 10:51:33PM
Ariel Helwani ?@arielhelwani

Michael Cole says Jerry Lawler is breathing on his own. He was taken to a local hospital and is receiving oxygen right now. ...

warglory
9/10/12 11:01:05PM
This is terrible news. I haven't watched wrestling in well over a decade, but Lawler was always a huge part of the broadcast. I am feeling a little distraught, not going to lie.
Budgellism
9/10/12 11:15:38PM
UPDATE at 10:55 p.m. ET: Cole came back with an update that Lawler is more responsive now, reacting to lights, in an isolated emergency room and he is apparently about to get a CAT scan. Just after the announcement, Bret Hart made his way to the ring to proceed with the show.
Shawn91111
9/10/12 11:17:45PM
Damn the guy is 62, shouldnt be doing wrestling stuff if thats what happened.
warglory
9/10/12 11:21:35PM

Posted by Shawn91111

62 isn't so old that he shouldn't be inactive. These types of things can sometimes be undetectable. It's hard.
Budgellism
9/10/12 11:56:55PM
FINAL UPDATE FROM RAW at 11:13 p.m. ET: Cole says Lawler's heart is beating on its own and he's breathing on his own. According to the hospital, his condition has stabilized and he is getting prepped for a CAT scan of his chest and his head. "On a personal note, Jerry, beat this thing. Get 'em, King."
prophecy033
9/11/12 12:11:12AM
Hasn't seemed to happen yet on the west coast. There's still commentary
prophecy033
9/11/12 12:18:24AM
The cut to commercial right when they got out of the ring
Bubbles
9/11/12 9:57:54AM
I too haven't watched wrestling in like a decade, but I liked listening to the King. While 62 isn't that old, when was the last time he actually went in the ring? I doubt he has kept himself in good shape over the years since he stopped being a full time wrestler. Glad to hear everything is improving with him, but he shouldn't be wrestling anymore, especially after this episode. I can't even imagine being in Cole's shoes. With Bret Hart being in attendance I'd hope the WWE brass was prepared to shut the show down if Lawler's condition turned for the worst

I will always remember him for 2 things:

1) Kiss My Foot match vs Bret Hart

2)
Image Attachment(s):
Photo Attachment 1
Shawn91111
9/11/12 12:39:30PM

Posted by warglory

Posted by Shawn91111

62 isn't so old that he shouldn't be inactive. These types of things can sometimes be undetectable. It's hard.

Shawn91111
9/11/12 12:42:57PM

Posted by Shawn91111

Posted by warglory

Posted by Shawn91111

62 is old to be doing wrestling. I have no idea if thats what he was doing, but to be bouncing around the ring at that age is
warglory
9/11/12 12:47:38PM

Posted by Shawn91111

Posted by warglory

Posted by Shawn91111

62 is old man

You're right, it is old, but it's not prohibitively old. There are still plenty of older dudes doing physical labor well into their 60's for work. The trail near where I live around the bay is like 4 miles long, and dudes and ladies in their 60's and 70's regularly jog it. I don't think it's odd for a guy his age to be active. Obviously he's not 25 though, so his heart health has to be taken into consideration more so now.
Shawn91111
9/11/12 1:27:05PM

Posted by warglory

Posted by Shawn91111

Posted by warglory

Posted by Shawn91111

62 is old man

You're right, it is old, but it's not prohibitively old. There are still plenty of older dudes doing physical labor well into their 60's for work. The trail near where I live around the bay is like 4 miles long, and dudes and ladies in their 60's and 70's regularly jog it. I don't think it's odd for a guy his age to be active. Obviously he's not 25 though, so his heart health has to be taken into consideration more so now.

You're talking about jogging and being active which is fine about talking about the riggers of professional wrestling
BuffaloDave
9/11/12 1:43:00PM
Shawn, he isn't a full time in ring competitor, he will wrestle a few times a year, but mostly is just doing the commentating.
Svartorm
9/11/12 1:46:39PM
62 years old isn't too old for excercise, but it is too old to be slammed on the mat over and over again, especially considering he's really not a "fit" 62 years old.
Shawn91111
9/11/12 1:59:35PM

Posted by BuffaloDave

Shawn, he isn't a full time in ring competitor, he will wrestle a few times a year, but mostly is just doing the commentating.

Ok, Thats why I had put I wasnt sure if he was still competing, I know when I watched 10 yrs or so ago he still was doing shows down in Memphis wasnt sure thats the case, and I know or knew Ric Flair was still wrestling a few years ago.
Svartorm
9/11/12 3:26:01PM

Posted by Shawn91111

Posted by BuffaloDave

Ok, Thats why I had put I wasnt sure if he was still competing, I know when I watched 10 yrs or so ago he still was doing shows down in Memphis wasnt sure thats the case, and I know or knew Ric Flair was still wrestling a few years ago.

That's actually not true, he wrestles frequently still, just not in WWE. He does the independent circuit still. Flair never stopped wrestling either.

Unfortunetely pro-wrestlers tend to operate like pro-boxers in regards to finances. Most of these older guys don't have the ability to quit wrestling because they were stupid with money. Not sure if Lawler falls into that catagory, but Flair certainly does.