JDS vs. Diaz Brothers - Boxing Technique

MMAPlayground.com » MMA General » UFC Forum » JDS vs. Diaz Brothers - Boxing Technique
POLL: Who has the better boxing
Junior dos Santos 52% (14)
Diaz Brothers 48% (13)
FastKnockout
6/12/12 2:17:44PM
Who has better boxing technique between Junior dos Santos and the Diaz brothers? I don't mean who will win in a boxing match. I mean who do you personally believe has the best overall technique when it comes to boxing in MMA? Usually For the longest I only picked out Nick Diaz for his boxing style, but Nate has found his own stride recently.
sparky
6/12/12 2:47:14PM
I say JDS

While the Diaz brothers punches in bunches style is very effective I personally feel they leave themselves wide open a lot of the time. They just have the type of chin that can take a blow
prophecy033
6/12/12 2:54:02PM
Although I feel they all are solid, I went with the Diaz Boyz. Their rabbit punch style would fit in real nice with any boxing gym....and so would their attitudes
FastKnockout
6/12/12 2:57:50PM

Posted by sparky

I say JDS

While the Diaz brothers punches in bunches style is very effective I personally feel they leave themselves wide open a lot of the time. They just have the type of chin that can take a blow

Same with JDS, though. He leaves his hands at his sides a lot.
FastKnockout
6/12/12 2:58:49PM

Posted by prophecy033

Although I feel they all are solid, I went with the Diaz Boyz. Their rabbit punch style would fit in real nice with any boxing gym....and so would their attitudes

Agree. I love how well they mix in body shots, too.
grappler0000
6/12/12 3:10:16PM
I believe BJ has better technique than Nick, which was evident in round 1 of their fight...the momentum changed hands in round 2, but for different reasons. You could argue that the Diaz Bros have an overall more effective style of boxing, but not better technique IMHO.
SmileR
6/12/12 3:20:33PM
Both have great styles that suit their weights perfectly. Nick wouldn't have half the success he's had boxing if he moved up to LHW or even MW in the UFC and the same for JDS. If he boxed like that as a MW fighter he wouldn't be half as successful.

Diaz had the cardio, range and technique to keep the lighter fighters at bay and land frequently. If he moved up his reach would decrease dramatically and his light but often technique would come undone when facing someone like Bisping, who fights similar but with more power and better kicks.
Although for where he's at now I think you could argue he's the best striker/boxer in the devision. The man is still a chump though.

I can't be bothered typing anymore but JDS wouldn't be as successful with his style at a lighter weight either.
The point I hear you ask is, they both are arguably the best strikers at their weight but only because they are fighting at the right weight. Neither is a stellar boxer.
Poor_Franklin
6/12/12 3:29:48PM
i went Diaz Bros.

What JDS lacks, he more than makes up for in KO power which makes him more dangerous imo. but they're technique i feel is better. hope that doesnt sound like im contradicting myself.
george112
6/12/12 4:27:06PM
The diaz bros technique is them thinking they are better then you.

I box the exact same way. When they see you tired they then it up and get super confident with their strikes. Hands down taunting etc. They land a few and their confidence goes through the roof. Totally making the other guy think they can't hang.

Grappler said it. BJ IS better. But the momentum changed and the diaz brothers rarely let that momentum change again.

So to answer the initial question I think JDS has superior boxing technique
prophecy033
6/12/12 4:45:16PM

Posted by george112

I box the exact same way. When they see you tired they then it up and get super confident with their strikes. Hands down taunting etc. They land a few and their confidence goes through the roof. Totally making the other guy think they can't hang.

Nick was doing that shit to Condit and imo Condit was landing more strikes. Diaz would say some shit and throw his hands up so Condit kicked him in the face and got out of the pockets. Nick did it again so Condit popped him again followed by a leg kick and again ducked out of the pocket. Diaz couldn't get in Condit's head.

FYI, I just watched it sober last night
george112
6/12/12 4:53:18PM

Posted by prophecy033

Posted by george112

Nick was doing that shit to Condit and imo Condit was landing more strikes. Diaz would say some shit and throw his hands up so Condit kicked him in the face and got out of the pockets. Nick did it again so Condit popped him again followed by a leg kick and again ducked out of the pocket. Diaz couldn't get in Condit's head.

FYI, I just watched it sober last night

So you agree or disagree
frizzzlecake
6/12/12 5:01:14PM
Went with Diaz Freddie once said BJ Penn had the best boxing in MMA, and Nick destroyed his face after a close first round.(I think Freddie only meant 1st round BJ Penn but who knows? haha)

Also Nick showed he can put away powerful boxers like Paul Daley.

I think both are great styles for their divisions, but overall Nick/Nate slight nod.
george112
6/12/12 5:08:07PM

Posted by frizzzlecake

Went with Diaz Freddie once said BJ Penn had the best boxing in MMA, and Nick destroyed his face after a close first round.(I think Freddie only meant 1st round BJ Penn but who knows? haha)

Also Nick showed he can put away powerful boxers like Paul Daley.

I think both are great styles for their divisions, but overall Nick/Nate slight nod.

Daley had a hard time dealing with nicks reach

Which imo is another reason why the brothers seem to box so good. Don't get me wrong they are solid standup fighters and know how to utilize their strengths effectively
KungFuMaster
6/12/12 6:33:22PM
The Diaz brothers have this one in the bag.

Boxing is about being able to throw effective punches for 10 or 12 rounds.

I guess the best way to compare the two parties is to put them in a boxing match.

A 240 lb cloned Nick Diaz would beat JDS most of the time.

A 170 lb cloned JDS would lose to either of the Diaz brothers - most of the time.
Pookie
6/12/12 9:25:22PM
JDS, by a clear margin.
Bubbles
6/12/12 11:24:02PM
clearly James Toney has the best boxing technique

I picked Diaz bros as they have picked apart some great strikers in their divisions. JDS really only faced one great striker, and Cro Cop was a shell of his PRIDE/K1 days.

I wish we got to see how JDS would fare vs Overeem. That could sway my pov
Kpro
6/13/12 1:18:42AM
I was going to try and take the easy way out and say it depends on the stylistic match they faced in a boxing match but then I saw you're just talking boxing in MMA. But I guess I'm still taking an easy way out. Diaz offensively, JDS defensively. I love the body shots the Diaz brothers and JDS throw. My favorite two boxers ever were Roy Jones Jr. and Prince Nasim Hamed which if you watched boxing in the 90's, you can probably tell from that that I'm not a fan of fighters who use technique that boxing purists would label technically sound. I like fighters that have enough confidence in their skills to put their chin out, hands by their knees, and then knock you out. I don't care much for shell fighters who have the best technique but fight to win scorecards.
MeetFrancisco
6/20/12 9:34:35AM
I don't see much great technique in the Diaz brothers striking, I mean it's good... But Condit proved that Nate has nothing when his opponent isn't backed to the cage covering up.
tmas
6/20/12 1:28:58PM
ask most pro boxers and they will say JDS.

he has the best techinque i have seen of any MMA fighter, BJ was the 2nd best. The Diaz brothers i think do a better job of implementing there boxing very well and very effectivily but they dont have the best boxing, the way they stand and throw punches isnt the best techincally speaking.
MeetFrancisco
6/20/12 1:45:19PM
JDS' boxing skill is untouchable at HW. While I think Nate might have the best boxing at 155, GSP would outsrike Nick six ways to Sunday at 170.
Boo_Radley21
6/21/12 10:09:43AM
It's tough cause they're such different styles. I love how Nate and Nick whip punches in ridiculous volume, but Dos Santos so so accurate and powerful and I think he has the better overall technique