Jason "Mayhem" Miller vs. Ronaldo "Jacare" Souza

MMAPlayground.com » MMA General » General MMA Talk » Jason "Mayhem" Miller vs. Ronaldo "Jacare" Souza
POLL: Who would win, and how?
Jason Miller KO/TKO 22% (10)
Jason Miller Submission 0% (0)
Jason Miller Decision 13% (6)
Ronaldo Souza KO/TKO 4% (2)
Ronaldo Souza Submission 48% (22)
Ronaldo Souza Decision 13% (6)
gartface
6/6/08 1:39:06PM
It's 8 days away, and I'm finding myself more pumped for this fight than the whole UFC 85 card. Who's with me?!

Who takes it, and how?
billycarnage
6/6/08 2:50:01PM
The entire UFC 85 card??? No way.

I wanna see Miller win but personally I am more stoked for Werdum Vera and Swick Davis.
Cladrix
6/6/08 3:11:41PM
This is going to be a sweet fight..... I see Jacare winning because Mayhem has good ground game but not like Jacare. Jacare has some world class JJ. Jacare will sub him in the second round or late in the first round.
Styles
6/6/08 3:17:32PM
I am saying Jacare via sub as well.
jomatty
6/6/08 4:02:22PM
its a tough one to call because jacare is so good on the ground but miller may be good enoguh not to get caught and miller's mauy thai is gonna be a lot better...i pick jacare ibut im really not sure
hippysmacker
6/6/08 6:36:24PM

Posted by gartface

It's 8 days away, and I'm finding myself more pumped for this fight than the whole UFC 85 card. Who's with me?!

Who takes it, and how?

It's an intriguing fight for me to be sure, but I would rather see Hughes /Alves, Vera/Wedum, and Davis/Swick. It is on par with Marquardt/Leties for me, which I think is a similar type matchup. A good BJJ guy against a well rounded MMA guy, although I think MArquardt is a much better fighter than Mayhem currently. Who knows? Jacare did get Koed quickly in his first fight. If he has got a chin now & good takedowns , I'd take him to get a sub in a 5 round fight. Since Dream has 2 rounds in this tourney( although the 1rst is 10 minutes) It's a really difficult choice. Haven't made my pick yet.
fedorwins1
6/6/08 10:56:35PM
I honestly think Jacare will tool Miller. Miller's strength is his ground game and Jacare is leaps and bounds ahead of Miller in that department. Jacare will take it to the ground fast.
gartface
6/6/08 11:19:03PM

Posted by fedorwins1

I honestly think Jacare will tool Miller. Miller's strength is his ground game and Jacare is leaps and bounds ahead of Miller in that department. Jacare will take it to the ground fast.

Two completely different mindsets on the ground though. I think Miller can keep it standing.
fedorwins1
6/6/08 11:27:04PM

Posted by gartface

Posted by fedorwins1

Two completely different mindsets on the ground though. I think Miller can keep it standing.

If Miller can keep it standing he'll win, but Jacare has explosive takedowns and Miller is a tall lanky guy who isn't too well known for takedown def. In Jacare's last fight he took down a very good collegiate wresler with ease.
tylerlee123
6/8/08 12:31:44PM
Id love to see Miller win it would be awesome but Jacare has all the potential
Kracker_Jap
6/9/08 7:23:44PM
I think Miller is going to use his overall MMA experiance to keep the fight standing and either KO or win by decision......

I know the popular opinion is that Jaycare will take the fight down and win by sub. but I think Miller has enough skill to defend
RandyCouture
6/9/08 10:29:03PM
Im taking Miller decision
thatfedorsohotrightnow
6/11/08 11:17:53PM
Miller by decision or less likely tko.

Jacare's opponent's records starting from most recent. All wins but the first fight.

0-1
0-1
0-1
3-3
0-1
4-1
21-3
0-1
20-11-1 This was his only loss.

Jacare should be a sizable dog.
joshjr
6/12/08 7:54:44AM

Posted by Kracker_Jap

I think Miller is going to use his overall MMA experiance to keep the fight standing and either KO or win by decision......

I know the popular opinion is that Jaycare will take the fight down and win by sub. but I think Miller has enough skill to defend

I agree. Miller has had fights with alot better fighters. I think it will be a decision win for Miller.
VictimSix
6/12/08 12:10:34PM
I dono how a fighter with over 40 fights and only 5 losses is the dog in this fight. Miller has a very real chance of ko'ing Jacare while he comes in for a take down. I'm excited about this fight.
ICSlegend
6/12/08 12:42:03PM

Posted by VictimSix

I dono how a fighter with over 40 fights and only 5 losses is the dog in this fight. Miller has a very real chance of ko'ing Jacare while he comes in for a take down. I'm excited about this fight.

how many KOs does Miller have?
breakdown5
6/12/08 7:17:32PM
I've been bouncing back and forth on this one. At this point I see Miller by UD, but who knows. This is such a tough fight to call. Really looking forward to it.
jiujitsufreak74
6/12/08 7:47:35PM
styles make fights, and Mayhem is a ground fighter. to be a ground fighter against a top JJ fighter that is world class will cause a lot of trouble for Mayhem. the only way for Miller to win is to keep this on the feet, where, i am not so sure he has an advantage. the fight just seems to be problematic for Miller and i see it hard for myself to pick him. Jacare will be Mayhem's most skilled opponent on the ground and that will make it difficult for Mayhem to find victory. he may have 26 fights (where did you guys get 40 from?) but he has only 4 KOs in his whole career over fighters with weak stand up. Jacare may not have faced any MMA fighter at the level of Mayhem but i am telling you that the 2004 and 2005 OW JJ Champion will be able to handle himself in this fight. i also heard from Xtreme Couture that he hits like a bull and that his hands are extremely heavy. so imo, Jacare takes this dues to the style match-up
ICSlegend
6/12/08 10:50:29PM

Posted by jiujitsufreak74

styles make fights, and Mayhem is a ground fighter. to be a ground fighter against a top JJ fighter that is world class will cause a lot of trouble for Mayhem. the only way for Miller to win is to keep this on the feet, where, i am not so sure he has an advantage. the fight just seems to be problematic for Miller and i see it hard for myself to pick him. Jacare will be Mayhem's most skilled opponent on the ground and that will make it difficult for Mayhem to find victory. he may have 26 fights (where did you guys get 40 from?) but he has only 4 KOs in his whole career over fighters with weak stand up. Jacare may not have faced any MMA fighter at the level of Mayhem but i am telling you that the 2004 and 2005 OW JJ Champion will be able to handle himself in this fight. i also heard from Xtreme Couture that he hits like a bull and that his hands are extremely heavy. so imo, Jacare takes this dues to the style match-up

4 tkos.

ZERO kos.

Big difference. Mayhem doesn't have the power to give Jacare trouble.
jiujitsufreak74
6/13/08 1:26:24AM

Posted by ICSlegend

Posted by jiujitsufreak74

4 tkos.

ZERO kos.

Big difference. Mayhem doesn't have the power to give Jacare trouble.

i agree, i just coupled them in together for the sake of the argument. but you are right, imo Mayhem doesn't have the stand up to give Jacare problems and on the ground he won't fair too well either.
fedorwins1
6/15/08 1:47:37PM
Jacare pulled it out and got the decision. He proved he is among the best MW's in the world IMO.
gartface
6/15/08 1:56:14PM

Posted by fedorwins1

Jacare pulled it out and got the decision. He proved he is among the best MW's in the world IMO.

I believe Miller did as well. He was in a body triangle multiple times and escaped all of them. He was so slick in sub defense. Good fight, too bad the mma-tv feed was awful.
Franklinfan47
6/15/08 8:14:18PM

Posted by fedorwins1

Meh, I'd like to see him win a couple more times before I make that statement. Winning this GP would definately put him up there.
pdanke
6/15/08 10:43:30PM

Posted by Franklinfan47

Posted by fedorwins1

Meh, I'd like to see him win a couple more times before I make that statement. Winning this GP would definately put him up there.

Yeah, let's not jump the gun on this one... Although Jacare's submission offense is pretty extraordinary, he's far from a complete mixed-martial artist.

A fight against Manhoef would definitely offer a HUGE style conflict.... I hope to see that.