Jason "Mayhem" Miller Apologizes For Post-Strikeforce Brawl

MMAPlayground.com » Community » MMA News Share Forum » Jason "Mayhem" Miller Apologizes For Post-Strikeforce Brawl
Next Page »
snakeplissken
4/19/10 4:35:39AM
Strikeforce: Nashville had it's share of criticism after the events of Saturday night.

Unfortunately, the fight card was overshadowed by the brawl between Jason "Mayhem" Miller and Jake Shields, Gilbert Melendez and the Diaz brothers.

Late Sunday night, Miller posted an apology on his website and addressed the situation.

LINKAGE

Good move by Mayhem or is he being hung out to dry by SF?

I think a question that needs to be asked after this is after the events of the other night would Dana still consider signing Sheilds? As defensive as he is of MMA and it's image, is it too big a risk to have Shields posse at events?
gartface
4/19/10 8:04:45AM
Completely unnecessary apology.

As for Shields to the UFC, I don't think Dana would have too big of a problem with him there. The UFC Is far better with security when guys enter the ring.

I could be wrong. He could end up cutting Nate Diaz to prevent any Cesar Gracie guys from being in the UFC, but I would sincerely doubt that would ever happen. Nate has shown a good deal of promise and Jake just dominated a great wrestler at his own game. I say if Coker doesn't some how wrap him up, even after setting him up to lose, that Dana will swoop in as soon as possible.
Jesse_Canadian_MMA
4/19/10 8:22:40AM
the ufc should still sign Shields, he's a beast and clearly getting better...its not like he killed anybody
StriderXero
4/19/10 9:01:38AM
i'm not even sure mayhem threw a punch.
Boo_Radley21
4/19/10 10:52:34AM
Why's he appologiziing he got jumped...
postman
4/19/10 11:18:02AM
Could you see what Rodger Goddell will do if one of his players got into a brwal on CBS.
Jackelope
4/19/10 11:20:59AM
He specifically says that he's apologizing for "his role" in the events.

I think it's necessary. He's owned up to his side of responsibility. No matter how you feel about the situation it's reasonable to think that he should take some responsibility. If he'd never came into the cage it never would have happened.

I'd expect for the Cesar Gracie camp to issue an apology relating directly to what they did wrong. Whether a formal apology from the camp as a whole comes out or not we'll see.
Caesarrrr
4/19/10 11:31:27AM
I'd agree that it's nessecary. Scott Coker has basically already put the fault on Miller, so this is his best chance, regardless of what happened, to save some face and make this look better.

As for shields, Dana will still sign him.
MaxOne
4/19/10 11:43:06AM

Posted by Caesarrrr

I'd agree that it's nessecary. Scott Coker has basically already put the fault on Miller, so this is his best chance, regardless of what happened, to save some face and make this look better.

you mean its necessary because strikeforce is putting the blame on miller so he's taking one for the team..so to speak?

i might say it's mature of him but he can't be blamed for this. what he did is totally normal and part of the fight biz. jumping someone in the ring is not normal.
Jackelope
4/19/10 11:48:40AM
Yeah I don't agree with Coker putting the majority of the blame on Miller's shoulders. I just think as a mature man Miller is doing his part by admitting some form of responsibility.

As for the escalation of violence the Cesar Gracie camp as a whole is to blame IMO
Giant_Ochai
4/19/10 12:41:06PM
At worst Miller is guilty of being a douche. Cesar Gracie's gang of thugs attacked him like he had a child at knifepoint.
finnish_line
4/19/10 1:28:29PM

I think someone from SF had to have told Mayhem to get in the cage to get a little buzz going. The results were disastrous though thanks to the thugs.
ncordless
4/19/10 1:48:29PM

Posted by postman

Could you see what Rodger Goddell will do if one of his players got into a brwal on CBS.

Jacoby Jones was fined $5000 last year for throwing a punch in a brawl during a game on CBS.link
prozacnation1978
4/19/10 3:01:44PM
I don't know why he should apologize
Team gracie should and watch they wont
NeaRMisS
4/19/10 3:10:24PM
I really REALLY dont quite understand how this is Millers fault. I dont care what people say about him being in the ring. Its how you promote yourself and the other fighter.

The fact shields looked at him and gave him a little head raise like "whats up?" and then miller just saying wheres my title shot is NOTHING negative towards shield or taking away from his spot light. In fact its causing a bigger buzz / spot light for the future.

I really hate the way miller is getting the fault here. I hope this doesn't come back and bite him in the ass with some sort of fine etc...

Sooo efffing retarded
Sir_Karl
4/19/10 3:36:10PM
I blame everyone here. I blame Shields, Melendez, the Diaz boys, Strikeforce and Miller himself. I think Miller should get the least blame though. He was just doing what many fighters do and what he does best! Shields shoved first, Melendez shoved a split second later, Nick Diaz went at him next...then Nate, then some tall fat dude...the fat dude was one of the guys who was soccer kicking Miller. Who the heck was that guy anyhow??? If I was Miller I would be more annoyed at that guy than anyone else. The big picture is that Strikeforce dropped the ball on this one. No security? No Reps? No Order? There was two guys trying to break it up....and it took them a while to grow the Nads to even try. One dude was old and out of shape. 99% of the people in the cage were the guys from Gracies camp. In the end Shields was the one who made contact first. In a nutshell Mayhem got jumped. That is the bottom line. The "sad" part is...the announcer disturbed and annoyed me far more than the fiasco itself. Of course Mayhem will make a "token" apology. I wouldn't expect one from the Diaz bros though. I am sure their "defense" or justification will be that Miller was being "disrespectful". Nick and Nate will pull out the "disrespected" card I am sure. With the Diaz boys it is a case of "you can take the kid out of the ghetto but you can't take the ghetto out of the kid". Yo Nate, Yo Nick! This isn't the streets of an inner city nor is it prison. The Diaz bros are two of my favorite fighters but they need to chill some.
Naturaldisaster
4/19/10 6:29:46PM
Mayhem did nothin wrong at all. I hope i never see jake shields in the octagon, as a matter of fact i hope Shields, Melendez, and the diaz brothers never win another fight. I loved the diaz brothers before this happened but that camp is just a bunch of street thugs that cant take a joke and have to act hard all the time. i hope mayhem gets his rematch with shields and puts him out of action for quite a while.
Congrats on hurting the sports guys.
Naturaldisaster
4/19/10 6:37:59PM
Caesarrrr
4/19/10 7:23:07PM

Posted by MaxOne

Posted by Caesarrrr

you mean its necessary because strikeforce is putting the blame on miller so he's taking one for the team..so to speak?

i might say it's mature of him but he can't be blamed for this. what he did is totally normal and part of the fight biz. jumping someone in the ring is not normal.

yea, that's what I meant. I feel like he knows this could potentially damage the sport, and he's trying to save his promotion as well as his sport.
supatolacyl
4/19/10 8:01:42PM
I still find it hard to believe that no one from Strike Force new Mayhem was going in to the cage, I think they directed him that way and when things blew up the way they did they don't want to take any fault. I think it was a Douche move by shields cornermen to all jump on one guy and I am highly doubting Licenses for many of Shields cornermen in the future by the Athletic Commision. It would also be nice the see a rule implemented on the maximum number of people aloud from a team in the ring inbetween rds and at fights end to keep the mobs down. I believe this spells th end for Strike Force on CBS after the low ratings, peculiar fights and a mob attack on one man equals Doomsday for Strike Force. Big ups to Mayhem though for apologizing, eventhough I feel he is being the escape goat for SF and Cezars gracies fight camp. I'd like to see Mayhem break free from SF and go back to the UFC along with Shields even though he pushed miller and pawed at him first then stayed back after everything was set into motion. His W over Hendo warrants a trip the the UFC (without his posse though, this aint no rap concert leave them guys in the stands) Regardless though WAR MAYHEM!!!!
Caesarrrr
4/19/10 8:06:43PM
Mayhem did take a few shots there before going down, have to give him credit for trying to fight through it.

Isn't he one of Hendo's cornermen though?
BeeR
4/20/10 6:15:18AM

Posted by Jackelope

He specifically says that he's apologizing for "his role" in the events.

I think it's necessary. He's owned up to his side of responsibility. No matter how you feel about the situation it's reasonable to think that he should take some responsibility. If he'd never came into the cage it never would have happened.

I'd expect for the Cesar Gracie camp to issue an apology relating directly to what they did wrong. Whether a formal apology from the camp as a whole comes out or not we'll see.

when you're told by management of the company you work for to go in the ring and hype up a fight, you do it. Face it guys he didnt just jump in the ring, there was lots of security, if he wasnt supposed to go in there, he would have been stopped like everyone else, so as far as faulting him for going into the ring, you cant

dmfp
4/20/10 8:11:15AM
He has him self to blame! If he would have stepped back after the first showe insted of launging himself forward into the scrap pack nothing would have transpired!

All Mayhems fault!
snakeplissken
4/20/10 9:02:36AM
I'll repost what i wrote in another thread:

Right I've awatched this clip a few more times now and I have a few thoughts I'd like to add You Tube of brawl

1. At the very beginnning of the clip you can see Mayhem off to the right of where Sheilds is being interviewed, just standing there, so it wasn't like he invaded the cage.

2. you then see him walk behind the banner to get around to the left side of Sheilds.

3. Why did the TV team choose to cut to on overhead of the ring and then do a close up of th brawl instead of cutting away to a crowd shot or something else? To me this is a big set up on SF's part to build to a Sheilds/Mayhem fight...

The more I look at this the more this smells of setup. Oh and it was Nick who shoved first.
emfleek
4/20/10 9:11:01AM

Posted by dmfp

He has him self to blame! If he would have stepped back after the first showe insted of launging himself forward into the scrap pack nothing would have transpired!

All Mayhems fault!

Around here, when a group of guys jump one guy, we call it a BITCH MOVE. There's no way around it. Mayhem could have banged Shields' mother right in the middle of the cage on national TV and that still would give no justification for that many "men" jumping someone. None.

I've kept quiet about this incident until now, but to all of you pointing the finger at Miller...I question your manhood if you really believe it. A real man fights his own battles. He doesn't need 5 of his friends joining him.
scoozna
4/20/10 10:03:47AM

Posted by Naturaldisaster

Nick Diaz appology

Lol...that was not an apology, I'm not sure what that was.

I think Miller was right to take the high road a bit and apologize - his timing was terrible, and comments inappropriate...I don't think he mentioned being asked to go in there and say what he said. It seemed like it was his own brainy idea.
BlueSkiesBurn
4/21/10 11:21:29PM

Posted by emfleek

Around here, when a group of guys jump one guy, we call it a BITCH MOVE. There's no way around it. Mayhem could have banged Shields' mother right in the middle of the cage on national TV and that still would give no justification for that many "men" jumping someone. None.

I've kept quiet about this incident until now, but to all of you pointing the finger at Miller...I question your manhood if you really believe it. A real man fights his own battles. He doesn't need 5 of his friends joining him.

Biggest BITCH MOVE ever. I don't care what happens, if you need your corner to fight your fights, you're pretty much a chump. These are trained professionals jumping one man, not a group of 5 people who can't fight just gangbusting. Mayhem is clearly the Ollie North for this bullshit and it pisses me off. I have a feeling if Shields were under contract they wouldn't be tossing Mayhem under the bus. Coker has to try to do whatever he can to absolve Shields of anything because he knows that White has mentioned interest.

This is a bitch move by Strikeforce and was a bitch move by the C. Gracie camp. Asking for a rematch is NOT grounds for soccer kicks and a beat-down by trained MMA fighters. I'll lose a ton of respect for anyone who would argue otherwise.
Jackelope
4/21/10 11:49:09PM
By saying earlier that Mayhem is doing the right thing by owning up to his share of the responsibility I was in no way attempting to condone the actions of the Cesar Gracie fighters.

I liked the move by Miller because it put the pressure on the Gracie camp to come out with a formal apology explaining their actions or risk looking like the assholes. Well- I'm pretty sure we all know how they have come out looking so far.

So, like I said- It's reasonable for Miller to come out with his apology for several reasons. The events played out just like I figured they would and only highlight what I've been saying about the Cesar Gracie camp and its fighters for years now.

Any camp who would start a brawl in an emergency room where people's lives are on the line and there is enough chaos as is without adding to it deserves no respect. This is just yet another reason why they don't deserve it.
MaxOne
4/21/10 11:58:35PM

Posted by emfleek

Posted by dmfp

All Mayhems fault!

I totally agree but not with the mother in the middle of the cage thing....if that happened....beat homeboy down & who cares what people think about the sport.
BlueSkiesBurn
4/22/10 12:10:40AM
I don't think anyone thought you meant that, Jackelope. I know I didn't and I can probably safely assume Emfleek didn't as well. I just don't think Mayhem apologizing will get that bunch to admit they did anything.
Pages: [1] 2