Jason MacDonald: Okami is ‘boring’ and the reason UFC 77 bout not on main card

MMAPlayground.com » Community » MMA News Share Forum » Jason MacDonald: Okami is ‘boring’ and the reason UFC 77 bout not on main card
Twenty20Dollars
10/20/07 9:40:29AM
link

Quoteworthy:

“As far as the decision to not be on the main card, the UFC has told me that it has nothing to do with me. It has to do with the fact that Okami is a boring fighter. They know I’ll try to put on an exciting fight. In fact, as I felt the hotel on Thursday, I ran into Joe Silva, the matchmaker for the UFC, and he asked to talk to me to express that again and apologized in advance to me.”

Middleweight Jason MacDonald sheds some light on the reason his bout at UFC 77: “Hostile Territory” against Yushin Okami is not on the televised pay-per-view (PPV) main card.
pinoymixplaya
10/20/07 9:50:14AM
Although he is a boring fighter, he lasted 3 rounds against Franklin, 2 of which it seemed like he wasn't trying, my opinion, and when he started trying, he almost tapped him out, if he could only do what he did at the end, he possibly could be fighting Silva right now....I personally like Okami, he may not be the most exciting fighter out there, but he is definitely a great technical fighter and has the ability to fight for the belt...if he wins this fight, which i think he will, i think he should be the next contender in line, but he probably needs to put a good performance and impress Dana White....
NatedawgThaM
10/20/07 10:00:36AM
I agree Okami is boring.Don't get me wrong I am a HUGE fan of ground and pound. Heck the Hammer Houses Kevin Randleman & Mark Coleman the pioneers of GNP are my favorite fighters. But Okami is boring because he just uses his size but he didn't use it against Franklin so he lost. He just takes people down and sits his tall self up and throws a punch or 2 every few minutes so it don't get stood up. I think it goes to a UD for Okami. I doubt he'll stop Macdonald and Okami is to controlled and cautious they he won't be subbed. They won't KO each other so we are going to watch a sleepfest...
D0wnUnd6e6r
10/20/07 10:15:23AM
we're not gonna watch a sleepfest, ain't on the card. I do think this fight can be real good if McDonald can put early pressure on Okami.
AchillesHeel
10/20/07 11:25:43AM
That's a bummer, I wanted to see this match.
Novincia
10/20/07 11:54:49AM

That's a bummer, I wanted to see this match.

You don't have to see it, this is how it goes:

Three rounds of nothing, and decision to Okami.
payne8888
10/20/07 12:36:37PM
I don't care how "boring" they think Okami is, this fight should be on the main card over those other 2-3 preliminary quality fights they are gonna show. Using this logic Sylvia's fight shouldn't be aired since he has been boring in his last three fights...
NatedawgThaM
10/20/07 1:00:17PM

Posted by payne8888

I don't care how "boring" they think Okami is, this fight should be on the main card over those other 2-3 preliminary quality fights they are gonna show. Using this logic Sylvia's fight shouldn't be aired since he has been boring in his last three fights...

Dunno about that. The Burkman fight looks like the Okami fight too except Burkman will actually GNP for 3 rounds. The Okami fight is just more important. The Bonnar fight will be a grappling match. Both are JJ or BJJ guys so they even each other out.Bonnar would rather stand though.But Bonnar only has 1 TKO with 6or 7 subs and the rest are decisions. Its probably a decision too. Its just which decision you'd rather see more...
CornishMMA
10/20/07 1:23:20PM
No surprise in that news tbh

Okami isnt the most boring fighter, id take him over Machida who is more passive but for his size and skills he should fight harder

Im glad we get to see an exciting LW fight instead of this one
cmill21
10/20/07 2:28:58PM
So does this mean no more Sherk on the main card's?
cowcatcher
10/20/07 2:45:51PM
i dont know where macdonald gets off saying anyine is boring, its not like hes mr electricity, or KOing and subbing guys in spectacular fashion.
jae_1833
10/20/07 3:23:51PM
The only reason these guys are important to the MW div is because there really isn't anyone in that div. Look at the LW and LHW divs....not to mention the WW div. They are stacked to the point of bursting, seriously a few guys from the LHW div should drop down just to help out....mainly the TUF guys like Rashad and Bisping, I think Forrest and Jardine should stay though because they both just recently had breakthrough fights. If only Hendo would unify the MW div belt as well........
loller90278
10/20/07 4:26:05PM
ill take okami by whatever he wants.

i hate macdonald with a passion and i believe from the bottom of my heart that hes an overrated can. if the MW division was somewhat decent, we would never hear of this guy again.
Vendetta
10/20/07 5:44:22PM

Posted by cowcatcher

i dont know where macdonald gets off saying anyine is boring, its not like hes mr electricity, or KOing and subbing guys in spectacular fashion.

I don't know what fights you've been watching, but MacDonald has laid down some pretty slick subs in his time.
roman
10/20/07 6:24:36PM
Since MacDonald isn't a tough opponent I thought this would be an exciting fight with Okami TKOing Jason in the second.

For MacDonald to even open his mouth about this is extremely disrespectful and I hope this lights a fire under Okami's butt so he proves all you guys wrong. I have a feeling MacDonald is going to regret saying anything about this because Okami is going to beat his ass.

Okami is extremely tough and yes if he would push the pace he would not only be a a more exciting fighter but also a better fighter. So I can understand why some of you stand where you do on this news, but you got to give this guy more respect.
malekomaddox
10/21/07 10:28:47AM
I'm glad that Okami whooped his ass last night.