Jason MacDonald

MMAPlayground.com » MMA General » UFC Forum » Jason MacDonald
Aether
8/21/08 6:45:48AM
Is fighting on two cards in a row??? I'm pretty amazed that he would be cleared to fight again that soon after losing. Even though he didn't really sustain any damage it still seems strange to me that he would be fighting on 2 UFC cards back to back only a matter of weeks apart. Both against tough opponents too. I don't know if that's all that smart.
rabbit915
8/21/08 9:08:35AM
He was basically in a grappling match though. I always find it curious when the UFC lets some guys wait six months and then lets other fight 2 events in a row.

Im ecspecially suprised they are doing it with a guy like Jason MacDonald. It doesnt seem like a guy they are pushing real hard.
stock
8/21/08 9:41:08AM
I think most of the time it is the fighter that wants a break for a few months so he can rest for a couple of weeks and then start training for his next opponent.

I am guessing MacDonald really wanted this fight. I think he knows it is a very good matchup for him.
chitown97
8/21/08 10:00:57AM
He wants a Win and feels like he could/should get on here. He's won 2 of his last five and his losses are to Maia (up and comer), Okami (contender), and Franklin. I hope he pulls it off and should get a submission in the second or third round.
ToeZup
8/21/08 10:27:55AM
Good call stock. Chances are he just wants to stay in the mix. It keeps the wallet happy and the ring rust away. He got the potential to be great.
Rush
8/21/08 10:52:14AM
I think he was disappointed in the loss against Maia and felt that he really could have won that one. Maybe he is just pumped for redemption. As long as I wasn't injured, I would be the most motivated after a loss, so I would probably do the same.

Not only that, coming in short notice, and even more so right after a fight is something that impresses the bosses. I can't see Jason doing wrong by this decision.
Aether
8/21/08 11:57:49AM
yeah sure, I can understand all of those reasons completely, I was more thinking just along the lines of training for your opponent. I wouldn't employ the same style against lambert as I would against Maia, and as a result I would probably want a little more than a couple of weeks to prepare.

I have huge respect for any fighter that is willing to step up and fight anytime anyplace regardless of if they just fought, I'm just thinking that it might hurt his performance.

I actually live in Edmonton on and off, so I'm always pulling for Jason when he fights. I've been thinking of switching over to his gym, it would be great to get a chance to train with someone fighting in the big leagues, not a lot of people get that opportunity. I was training at a smaller gym for a while but moving back and forth makes it hard to keep up a steady regimen, it looks like I might be staying put for a while so I was thinking about taking it a little more seriously now that I can commit the time.
Rush
8/21/08 12:02:35PM

Posted by Aether

yeah sure, I can understand all of those reasons completely, I was more thinking just along the lines of training for your opponent. I wouldn't employ the same style against lambert as I would against Maia, and as a result I would probably want a little more than a couple of weeks to prepare.

I see where you are coming from. I'm not sure about how long it will take to build a game plan. Jason will already be in fighting form (physical wise) so maybe a month is long enough given the fact that he can really focus on the game plan and not just getting into fight shape.
jocka
8/21/08 12:05:47PM
I think it a good thing for him to fight again, if he is not injured why not plus when you lost a few and you get offer a fight you just take it, you never know with the ufc when you might be out of a job lol
Aether
8/21/08 12:10:43PM
Maybe he doesn't really feel he needs a gameplan since his base is jiu-jitsu and in this fight, doing what he did against maia is actually the smart move. He may feel that his fight with maia essentially acted as training for a fight with a guy like lambert.
copcopps
8/21/08 12:25:16PM
I said it again, I'm not a fan of Lambert, but I just see MacDonald as a weaker version of Travis Lutter, a 1-trick pony that's not good at that trick
Qorvus
8/25/08 10:47:14AM
Is he replacing Jason Day?

UFC is trying to break into Ontario, and they could be trying to keep a Canadian presence on the card.
Chuteboxer
8/25/08 12:53:10PM
You know, call me stupid, but I think Jason actually stands of good chance of winning this fight. The only concern I think he'll have is if Lambert gets him on his back. Besides that, I think he's actually got a great chance of winning this fight..
jocka
8/25/08 2:00:48PM

Posted by Chuteboxer

You know, call me stupid, but I think Jason actually stands of good chance of winning this fight. The only concern I think he'll have is if Lambert gets him on his back. Besides that, I think he's actually got a great chance of winning this fight..

I aggree i think Mcdonald is winning this one too
GrizzlyChadams
8/25/08 2:22:58PM
I think Jason has a ton of potential and Lambert shouldn't be to difficult for him. If the fight goes to the ground Jason has got the advantage whether he's on his back or otherwise.
Kpro
8/25/08 2:57:38PM
He's facing a guy that will be cutting down to 185 for the first time in his life though.

Jason Lambert was born weighing 188 and has gone up since then, so he legitimately has never weighed under the MW limit.
Wolfenstein
8/25/08 5:29:51PM
I think this is a really tough fight for MacDonald. The problem is Lambert has the better wrestling and MacDonald will be fighting off his back the majoity of the fight. He could pull off a slick submission but I doubt it. Lambert is a BB in BJJ and hasn't been submitted since 2001 by Marco Ruas.

Most of Lambert's losses ave come via knockout and MacDonald does not have that kind of striking power. So if he's going to be fighting from his back and he's fighting a guy that's tough to submit, and a guy he can't knock out, I can't see it going any other way but to a decision.

Lambert takes this one via UD.
AnDeRsonDaSiLvA
8/25/08 10:24:27PM
He wants to erase that loss to meia as soon as possible. The man has huge cajones!
MFOTHER
8/25/08 11:49:59PM
always liked macdonald...... and he's taken out some tough people (back to back subs on herman and leben). I think he will sub lambet if/when he gases.
as has been said, dud has only loss to top level guys

Rich- can beat just about everyone but anderson at 185

okami- the person with maybe the best chance to beat silva

maia- seems to be TOP level (and it was close)
jiujitsufreak74
8/26/08 5:58:27PM

Posted by Wolfenstein

I think this is a really tough fight for MacDonald. The problem is Lambert has the better wrestling and MacDonald will be fighting off his back the majoity of the fight. He could pull off a slick submission but I doubt it. Lambert is a BB in BJJ and hasn't been submitted since 2001 by Marco Ruas.

Most of Lambert's losses ave come via knockout and MacDonald does not have that kind of striking power. So if he's going to be fighting from his back and he's fighting a guy that's tough to submit, and a guy he can't knock out, I can't see it going any other way but to a decision.

Lambert takes this one via UD.

QFT...this is exactly how i see it as well
Lahet
8/26/08 10:18:46PM
It all depends on the fighter so one with a bigger name wouldn't fight so soon. A guy like Macdonald doesn't might fighting so soon and UFC allows it