Jamie Varner Replaces Evan Dunham, Faces Edson Barboza at UFC 146

MMAPlayground.com » Community » MMA News Share Forum » Jamie Varner Replaces Evan Dunham, Faces Edson Barboza at UFC 146
Poor_Franklin
5/2/12 1:03:06AM
Five years after his last appearance in the UFC, Jamie Varner is getting the call back as he will now face Edson Barboza at UFC 146 on May 26 in Las Vegas replacing an injured Evan Dunham.

Sources close to the match-up confirmed the new fight with MMAWeekly.com on Tuesday. UFC officials confirmed the fight as well on Tuesday evening.

Link
Budgellism
5/2/12 1:10:00AM
Again, another fight cancelled that I wanted to see happen. Barboza just got a much easier fight.
Twenty20Dollars
5/2/12 1:19:33AM
C4 is gonna get blown up
FastKnockout
5/2/12 1:25:15AM
Poor Varner.
aussiemma
5/2/12 6:49:43AM
man i was so looking forward to that fight...
mattjonesy
5/2/12 7:46:38AM
Damn Varner got some balls!
pmoney
5/2/12 8:07:04AM
This is like the UFC equivalent of getting jumped in to a street gang.

I will laugh my ass off if Varner wins I always felt Varner had some good skills, but perhaps his camp/work ethic/both wasn't up to snuff.
cowcatcher
5/2/12 10:25:20AM

Posted by aussiemma

man i was so looking forward to that fight...

Same here. It sucks, and I don't like Varner's chances. What's the over under on times he spits his mouthguard out?
DrivenDavies15
5/2/12 10:42:04AM
Wow, didn't think the UFC was even interested in Varner anymore. I still like this fight but Barboza shoouldn't have too much of a problem
scoozna
5/2/12 11:08:01AM
haha...i love this thread...everybody pretty much feels the same way. "the UFC must hate Varner?" lol.
Sir_Karl
5/2/12 11:45:11AM
It is good to see Varner back in the big leagues....but I think he is going to get whooped hardcore. I don't think Varner will be around long.
sparky
5/2/12 11:50:53AM
This is a perfect fight for Edson to make himself another highlight reel ko
TeamDEY
5/2/12 12:48:23PM
easy win for Barboza
Dberntson
5/2/12 1:10:52PM
Yeah, Varner is likely to get busted up. That said, he is buying some good will with the UFC by taking this fight on short notice. His blood and busted up face should buy him at least one more fight after this one.
Svartorm
5/2/12 1:26:14PM
I'm probably one of the few guys that actually likes Varner. That said, he's someone that's in dire need of some therepy because he's let nerves ruin his career since the first Cerrone fight. He fights scared, despite the fact he's one of the most well-rounded LWs out there, and he'll never get back on top of the game like that.
prophecy033
5/2/12 2:23:13PM
Barboza should take this fight pretty easily although Varner will have a few moments that will get him another fight in the UFC
prozacnation1978
5/2/12 6:15:58PM
Injuries are hitting this card I really don't like varner
Travesty145
5/2/12 10:24:45PM
varner is definitely good enough to win this fight but barboza is a beast. i think it just depends on which varner shows up. the one that beat rob mccullough will beat barboza. the one that lost to bendo will get killed by barboza
rush13
5/3/12 2:30:01AM
Everybody thinks Barboza is gonna murderize Varner, but most of u must not be aware that Varner is one tough dude who has never been (T)KO'd, he has only been susceptible to being submitted...I'm not saying Barboza won't win but I see him taking a decision like he did against Njokuani and Pearson in back to back fights.
cowcatcher
5/3/12 10:22:37AM

Posted by rush13

Everybody thinks Barboza is gonna murderize Varner, but most of u must not be aware that Varner is one tough dude who has never been (T)KO'd, he has only been susceptible to being submitted...I'm not saying Barboza won't win but I see him taking a decision like he did against Njokuani and Pearson in back to back fights.

Every time Varner is on the ropes and appears close to being (T)KO'd he spits out his mouthguard or asks for a time out. Go ahead, rewatch some of his losses. It's sickening to watch.

I'll add this, the guy is really talented and well rounded, it was obvious in his first UFC fight against a highly ranked Hermes Franca, even though he lost that fight. He has the physical tools, but between the ears there seem to be some problems.
rush13
5/3/12 3:33:55PM

Posted by cowcatcher

Posted by rush13

Every time Varner is on the ropes and appears close to being (T)KO'd he spits out his mouthguard or asks for a time out. Go ahead, rewatch some of his losses. It's sickening to watch.

I'll add this, the guy is really talented and well rounded, it was obvious in his first UFC fight against a highly ranked Hermes Franca, even though he lost that fight. He has the physical tools, but between the ears there seem to be some problems.

Ok...I'm just saying he still has a decent chin, plus Barboza went the distance with Njokuani and Pearson and looked less than impressive in the Pearson fight.
cowcatcher
5/3/12 5:53:06PM
I wasn't trying to discredit you, I was just citing a reason why I don't think he's had a (T)KO loss yet. You made a good point for sure.
rush13
5/3/12 11:36:13PM

Posted by cowcatcher

I wasn't trying to discredit you, I was just citing a reason why I don't think he's had a (T)KO loss yet. You made a good point for sure.

No worries, u make a good point too, I'm sure that's definitely helped him keep a (T)KO loss off his record lol