Jamie Varner put his body through Hell

MMAPlayground.com » Community » MMA News Share Forum » Jamie Varner put his body through Hell
MMAcca
1/28/09 1:27:26PM
“My medical bills are going to be way more than what I made in this fight. I had to get a bunch of X-Rays done, a CAT scan, I had to go get surgery on my hand, I’m gonna have to get my foot casted, I have to go back to the doctor and have my eyes checked out again, all that stuff adds up. It’s crazy that people can sit there and talk **** about me when they have no idea what I did [on Sunday night]. I laid it all on the line, I put my body through Hell. My hand’s broken, I can barely walk, my foot’s broken, I’m on crutches and I got a cast on my hand. I don’t know what the hell people wanted from me. It’s crazy.”

LINK
wrona666
1/28/09 1:35:11PM
As much as i dislike Varner he does have a solid point here.....
jiujitsufreak74
1/28/09 1:39:29PM
people don't understand the severity of any in-fight injury, let alone all of the injuries Jamie sustained in his fight with Cerrone. it is easy for people to be keyboard warriors and say that it was a p*ssy move for him to say he couldn't continue, but unless you have had both your foot and hand broken during a fight and then had a blow that disrupted your vision, you don't know how he felt. why should he have taken the risk with all of those injuries to lose the fight, i mean at the professional level if you have blurred vision, not to mention broken appendages, you are in serious danger of getting finished.
MattHughesRules
1/28/09 2:21:24PM
I agree that Varner fighting with a broken hand and foot is very gutsy. I think that many times fans judge the severity of a fighters injuries without knowing anything about the facts, which is rediculous. My question in this fight did he use the called illegal strike to get out of the fight because of the hand and foot injuries? Or did he really have blurred vision as he said? To be honest I didn't think the knee looked that bad but obviously nobody cranked me in the head with a knee.

I guess in the end I think that no matter what it was going to a decision that Varner was going to win. It was a great fight though and would have been nice to see it finished up. Props to Cerrone....real tough guy!
loller90278
1/28/09 2:35:52PM
wont zuffa pay for his medical bills ?
Aaronno9
1/28/09 2:41:33PM

Posted by loller90278

I remember an interview a while ago says they pay for all fighters medical expenses. It was after Hill snapped his leg I think. Id presume the fighters in the WEC get the same treatment, but it doesnt sound like that by what Jamies saying.
emfleek
1/28/09 2:44:43PM

Posted by Aaronno9

Posted by loller90278

I remember an interview a while ago says they pay for all fighters medical expenses. It was after Hill snapped his leg I think. Id presume the fighters in the WEC get the same treatment, but it doesnt sound like that by what Jamies saying.

I'd be willing to bet that it's based on the extent/seriousness of the injuries.

Bummer for Varner, though. Like it was mentioned above...it's easy to be a keyboard warrior but 99% of the people here would cry like bitches if they were in the situation he was in.
casey64
1/28/09 3:04:12PM
Yeah, man all them injuries, he is a broken warrior, I liked his preformence though.
XblacksheepX
1/28/09 3:29:42PM

Posted by Aaronno9

Posted by loller90278

All medicial expenses are payed by the org, when the injuries happened in the cage, at least that's what i heard. Injuries in training are the fighters problem.
WheelchairBandit
1/28/09 3:30:39PM
Varner chose the job,he knows how bad he can get hurt in there.Stop cryin already.

WB.
casey64
1/28/09 3:45:39PM

Posted by WheelchairBandit

Varner chose the job,he knows how bad he can get hurt in there.Stop cryin already.

WB.

Would you fight? Come on man, everytime I see you post you seem to do stuff like this.
WheelchairBandit
1/28/09 4:11:36PM
But Varner is a smart guy (and a fantastic fighter BTW),who choose his profession.Despite what he says,Zuffa policy says any injury that occurs in the cage is covered 100%,so it's not costing him anything other than pain (and I know how it feels,esp. the ankle).

WB.
cowcatcher
1/28/09 4:20:36PM
i think thats pretty over the top WB, theres no need to call anyone names, he just asked a question. and i think that the people that talk about fighters giving up are in most cases going to do it whether a fighter says he has a broken foot or hand, or takes an illegal blow. people will always be devils advocates and conspiracy theorists.

EDIT: oops just saw the "a" in there, i thought you were calling him a p*ssy, lol.
wiggum
1/28/09 4:34:41PM

Posted by XblacksheepX

Posted by Aaronno9

Posted by loller90278

All medicial expenses are payed by the org, when the injuries happened in the cage, at least that's what i heard. Injuries in training are the fighters problem.

im not a 100% on this, but word around the horn is that zuffa does pay for it, but in a reimbursement style...so it comes out of your pocket and you send them a bill.....doesnt make to much sense, so if im wrong let me know
mikevolz
1/28/09 5:26:05PM

Posted by jiujitsufreak74

people don't understand the severity of any in-fight injury, let alone all of the injuries Jamie sustained in his fight with Cerrone. it is easy for people to be keyboard warriors and say that it was a p*ssy move for him to say he couldn't continue, but unless you have had both your foot and hand broken during a fight and then had a blow that disrupted your vision, you don't know how he felt. why should he have taken the risk with all of those injuries to lose the fight, i mean at the professional level if you have blurred vision, not to mention broken appendages, you are in serious danger of getting finished.

yes, but the major point here is he sustained those injuries (hand foot, what not) through legal moves in the fight. and not from the glancing knee.

so how much of his injury was sustained from the glancing knee that didnt appear to do a lot of damage?

stopping from injuries sustained legally in the fight is a loss, unable to continue.

blaming those injuries on a knee, and taking a dq, or a decision is another issue entirely.

that is what the complaints are about.
jiujitsufreak74
1/28/09 5:56:03PM

Posted by mikevolz

Posted by jiujitsufreak74

yes, but the major point here is he sustained those injuries (hand foot, what not) through legal moves in the fight. and not from the glancing knee.

so how much of his injury was sustained from the glancing knee that didnt appear to do a lot of damage?

stopping from injuries sustained legally in the fight is a loss, unable to continue.

blaming those injuries on a knee, and taking a dq, or a decision is another issue entirely.

that is what the complaints are about.

''i agree with you, and it is my opinion that the knee did in fact blur his vision. from my own experiences i have had blurred vision from much less, and a glancing shot off of the eye from an illegal knee can most definitely cause blurred vision; especially after 4 rounds of getting hit in the face.
DCRage
1/29/09 7:06:58AM
2 things:
1-Too much fighter bashing in this thread. Already edited and deleted a few posts. Any more Varner-bashing and 1 month bans go out, I don't care who posts it.

2-According to a Sherdog article, Varner now says his injuries could be career-ending.

Article

Article also notes he's suspended indefinitely until he gets cleared for an eye injury.
whardin19
1/29/09 7:36:30AM
I've always like Varner and I for one am grateful for the fight he put on for us. I hope he recovers quck so we can see a rematch because you know it's going to happen.

As for the people bitching that he gave up in the fight. No one knows how much pain Varner was in after that knee to the head. He already had a broken hand and a broken foot. Cut the guy a break.
jocka
1/29/09 7:46:34AM
The knee definitly was not that powerful but i did hit him in the eyes for sure. I remember getting hit directly in the eye, man took 10 sec my eye was almost swolen shut.

It is a shame that the fight finished that way but am behing Varner on this one. I hope he'll be ok and they get to do it again
The-Don
1/29/09 11:00:14AM
My view is they were both warriors in this fight The fact Varner was still going with a broken hand and foot I give him mad props for he must have been in massive pain.. I think the knee however glancing was just what put it all over the top.. broken hand and foot now you can't see.. to continue would have been the height of stupidity he could have ended up with crippling injuries.. Cowboy was on a tare there and his only chance of winning at that point was to finish the fight. You could see Varners reactions while they were talking to him I do not think he made the decision lightly he knew though I think if he was to continue he could have seriously been hurt. I think he was expecting a no contest to be called from his reaction when they said it was going to the judges.. yea was he happy to win.. of course.. did he want to win that way.. I seriously doubt it I think he would have been more happy with a No contest. I hope he can get healed fully and get back into shape and I would love to see these two go at it again.