James Toney Wants Lesnar After Couture

MMAPlayground.com » Community » MMA News Share Forum » James Toney Wants Lesnar After Couture
imanidiot777
7/13/10 11:48:53PM
Current heavyweight boxing titleholder and two-time Ring Magazine Fighter of the Year James “Lights Out” Toney makes his mixed martial arts debut in Boston against UFC legend Randy “The Natural” Couture on Aug. 28.

“After I knock out Randy Couture, I’m coming for Brock’s bitch ass next.”

MMAWeekly

AHAHAHAHAA.....wow I find this funny. If Dana ever let him fight Brock next (assuming he beats Couture which is in itself a HUGE assumption), which I doubt would happen, he had better knock him out on the first punch or he is going to get turned into meat on the ground.
lohmann
7/13/10 11:53:26PM
In professional wrestling, James Toney would be the perfect character to complete Brock Lesnar's face turn.
Jackelope
7/13/10 11:58:00PM

Posted by lohmann

In professional wrestling, James Toney would be the perfect character to complete Brock Lesnar's face turn.

Hilarious observation. Props on the way if available.
hate4thestate
7/14/10 2:32:49AM
Toney must be out of his mind. We are gonna find out if he can handle a wrestler and i highly doubt he will be able to handle Couture let alone Lesnar. Boxing vs Wrestling isnt really a great match imho. Wrestling wins 99% of the time.
RearNakedJoke
7/14/10 3:04:52AM
toney is crazy if he thinks he'd get a title shot after just 1 fight!

everyone knows you need atleast 3 fights.
Gannon
7/14/10 3:31:04AM
lohmann
7/14/10 3:47:12AM

Posted by RearNakedJoke

toney is crazy if he thinks he'd get a title shot after just 1 fight!

everyone knows you need atleast 3 fights.

Yeah, ask Brock Lesnar.
D0wnUnd6e6r
7/14/10 6:53:56AM
Boo_Radley21
7/14/10 8:36:16AM
LMAO Toney would get merked
BigIP
7/14/10 10:38:44AM
Toney gets Brock but is only allowed one Boxing glove. LOL.
Image Attachment(s):
Photo Attachment 1
emfleek
7/14/10 10:47:10AM
I hope Randy humiliates Toney. I want to see pure domination in every second of the fight. Spank him like you spanked Tito, Randy. Humiliate this guy and make him regret opening his mouth.
mshalosky
7/14/10 11:21:08AM

I think Toney should go to Strikeforce they give people title shots after losses.
ryderstrong69
7/14/10 12:53:13PM

Posted by hate4thestate

Toney must be out of his mind. We are gonna find out if he can handle a wrestler and i highly doubt he will be able to handle Couture let alone Lesnar. Boxing vs Wrestling isnt really a great match imho. Wrestling wins 99% of the time.

i recall on Inside MMA Toney said stopping a takedown is easy just throw an uppercut as they come in....lets see how that works out for him....lol
BigIP
7/14/10 1:19:38PM
I really think Couture will get knocked out early in the 1st round.
brutalbones
7/14/10 1:27:58PM

Posted by emfleek

I hope Randy humiliates Toney. I want to see pure domination in every second of the fight. Spank him like you spanked Tito, Randy. Humiliate this guy and make him regret opening his mouth.

This.
seanfu
7/14/10 1:55:07PM

Posted by brutalbones

Posted by emfleek

This.

I think people are forgetting the significant opening seconds of the first round because of Toney's handspeed and Coutures crap ass chin. Until the fight is in grappling range of some kind Toney has a knockout ready to land.

A much more significant chance than people believe. And as for Brock....... no.....
casketcoin
7/14/10 2:00:35PM

Posted by BigIP

calm down james
emfleek
7/14/10 2:05:31PM

Posted by seanfu

I think people are forgetting the significant opening seconds of the first round because of Toney's handspeed and Coutures crap ass chin. Until the fight is in grappling range of some kind Toney has a knockout ready to land.

A much more significant chance than people believe. And as for Brock....... no.....

Believe me, I haven't forgotten anything. However, if Toney lands one right off the bat, it better land flush and it better knock Randy out. Otherwise, Randy's going to take him down, lay on him until he recovers and then work some ground and pound until he's able to take his back to choke him out. Toney's not going to be able to do jack off his back with only 2 months of training under his belt.

With that being said...I think there's absolutely a good chance Toney wins. I'd say it's about 70/30* in favor of Couture.

* Anyone have the current odds?
seanfu
7/14/10 2:10:44PM

Posted by emfleek

Posted by seanfu

Believe me, I haven't forgotten anything. However, if Toney lands one right off the bat, it better land flush and it better knock Randy out. Otherwise, Randy's going to take him down, lay on him until he recovers and then work some ground and pound until he's able to take his back to choke him out. Toney's not going to be able to do jack off his back with only 2 months of training under his belt.

With that being said...I think there's absolutely a good chance Toney wins. I'd say it's about 70/30* in favor of Couture.

* Anyone have the current odds?

I don't think there's any denying that ^^^ but other people better not get too comfortable just because one fighter is way superior to the other. Serra showed us the truth about punching power.
icantthinkofanything
7/14/10 3:15:17PM
Odds are Randy gets inside without getting hit, and clinches, cage work, tkdn, rnc . easy win for Randy. I think the odds Randy wins are like 90/10. Randy did get tagged by Vera, but Vera has way more tools than Toney. I think Lesnar prooved he has a good chin. You need more than 1 clean punch to ko him, so imo Toney stands no chance vs Lesnar
xtra_chewy
7/14/10 4:18:52PM

Posted by Gannon

How many times will we hear this? Already Happened.
mrsmiley
7/14/10 4:25:51PM
Their are so many interesting possiblities in this fight.
If Toney wants to dramaticly increase his chance of winning he's going to take a crash course lesson on the grappling phase of combat.
Couture is certainly a better wrestler than Toney. And although Toney has a huge advantage in the striking department that doesn't mean he can transfer his boxing skills appropriatley to MMA.
He could end up looking really out of place within the octagon.
flyingknee85
7/14/10 5:28:15PM
well either one of them could be really embarrassed after this one, toney being humiliated for 3rnds, or couture being ko'd by an mma noob. should be interesting. i no their are ppl that hate the idea of this match up but i think it could be very entertaining...regular boxing vs dirty boxing! i pick randy!
Jshep714
7/14/10 6:12:02PM

Posted by mshalosky

I think Toney should go to Strikeforce they give people title shots after losses.

Or he could stay put and just change weight classes like Randy did after losing to Chuck and "retiring" and get a title shot right away.
backalley101
7/14/10 6:51:51PM

Posted by BigIP

AV BET ON THAT
Jackelope
7/14/10 6:53:38PM
If Toney doesn't KTFO Couture in the first couple seconds standing on the feet then IMO he won't make it to a point where he's able to answer the bell going into the second.

Even if he somehow survives the beatdown he will surely end up suffering should it hit the ground in the 1st, I absolutely believe he's going to plop his ass on that stool and not want to get back up. No man who has virtually no wrestling experience wants any piece of any wrestler even close to Randy's caliber.
emfleek
7/14/10 7:01:56PM

Posted by Jackelope

If Toney doesn't KTFO Couture in the first couple seconds standing on the feet then IMO he won't make it to a point where he's able to answer the bell going into the second.

Even if he somehow survives the beatdown he will surely end up suffering should it hit the ground in the 1st, I absolutely believe he's going to plop his ass on that stool and not want to get back up. No man who has virtually no wrestling experience wants any piece of any wrestler even close to Randy's caliber.

Oooh...this would be great. Even more humiliating than a 3 round beatdown.

Break his will, Randy!
chickmagnet
7/14/10 7:24:47PM
If Carwins punches couldnt finish Lesnar, and Lesnar was able to take Toney down...... I think we would see the first death in the UFC.

Toney wont get past Randy...
jlock003
7/14/10 10:21:34PM

Posted by Jshep714

Posted by mshalosky

Or he could stay put and just change weight classes like Randy did after losing to Chuck and "retiring" and get a title shot right away.

Way to point out the fallacy in the logic, but on that note I don't have a problem with a deserving guy getting the title shot in a different weight class after a loss...really even in the same weight class if there are injuries and such. Still great observation about Randy getting a title shot after a loss....I'm not sure who else should have gotten the shot at that time, but I see where you're coming from. I personally think Randy comes in keeps his DISTANCE throws a leg kick to lock Toney up and shoots in on him. Once he gets on the ground it's a rap. Not to mention Toney has never been through a 5 minute round. It'll be interesting to see how his cardio is in the last two minutes of each round. One big critique from boxers and boxing fans of mma (not all as I am a boxing fan as well) is that mma guys usually only fight for 15 minutes! We will see how James feels about the extra 2 minutes in each round.
Jackelope
7/14/10 10:55:37PM

Posted by jlock003

Posted by Jshep714

Posted by mshalosky

Not to mention Toney has never been through a 5 minute round. It'll be interesting to see how his cardio is in the last two minutes of each round. One big critique from boxers and boxing fans of mma (not all as I am a boxing fan as well) is that mma guys usually only fight for 15 minutes! We will see how James feels about the extra 2 minutes in each round.

Props on the way. I've always laughed when I heard boxers and boxing fans trash talk on the cardio required to fight in MMA. I'd rather do ten 3 minute boxing rounds than three 5 minute MMA rounds. That's a big part of my logic in why I said Toney is going to sit his ass on that stool and realize he doesn't want to get back up if he's lucky enough to make it to that point.