James Irvin: The Spoiler?

MMAPlayground.com » Community » MMA News Share Forum » James Irvin: The Spoiler?
MMAcca
6/27/08 4:56:24PM
The UFC is banking on Anderson Silva getting a highlight reel knockout win over James Irvin on July 19th. While I do think that is the most likely result, Irvin is definitely capable of knocking Silva out. This is nowhere near the "safe" fight some people are making it out to be.

LINK
MFOTHER
6/27/08 5:17:30PM
i agree. ive always liked the sandman. If i bet anything on this fight it woul dbe a small amount on irvin. i would never risk a huge amount for little gain on a fight like this
roman
6/27/08 5:26:24PM
People who say this is a safe fight are retarded. Silva will more then likely dominate but the Sandman can put Silva to sleep.

He hits hard, is very explosive and strong, and from what I know he is injury free and doing great. If he can stay healthy he has a chance.

This is the biggest fight in Irvins career and I gurantee he will rise up for the challenge and put on his best performance, whether that is good enough to topple the Spider is a HUGE question mark.
joshryanshepherd
6/27/08 5:44:57PM
i think James is a damn tough fighter, and Anderson may get a 1st Rd KO but he is definitely gonna take a few hard knocks himself.
juanez13
6/27/08 6:10:52PM
I think Irvin is the best striker Silva has faced in the UFC, but i still give the advantage to silva standing, Irvin throws mostly hooks, which gives anderson the chance to throw those very accurate straight punches. should be a good fight, im going with silva round 2 KO, if Franklin can survive one round standing with Silva, im sure Irvin Can.
Wolfenstein
6/27/08 7:13:30PM
I don't think anyone who is a hardcore MMA fan is pencilling this in as an easy win. In my opinion Irvin's striking is world class, it's just the rest of his game needs fine tuning.

Irvin is the epitome of explosive. He knocked Alexander out with an awesome superman punch and he absolutelty went off against Thiago Silva. Everytime he swung at Silva it was like a comic book (POW! CRACK! and the guy goes flying across the ring).

I think they'll stand for a bit, but after a little back and forth action Silva will look for the takedown.
Figsak
6/27/08 7:29:59PM
How can you speak of James Irvins KO's without including the prettiest flying knee KO in the history of the world vs Terry Martin?

Bad mtachup for Irvin. I generally think Silva is way overrated, but I think Silva for the 2nd round SUB
Porch28
6/27/08 8:14:31PM

Posted by Figsak

. I generally think Silva is way overrated, but I think Silva for the 2nd round SUB

Your joking right?????
GrandMaster313
6/27/08 10:19:56PM
i think this will back fire in the face of the UFC. I like Silva but Im guessing that Irvin KO's him 1 round. Something smells funny about this fight
Figsak
6/27/08 11:56:35PM

Posted by Porch28

Posted by Figsak

. I generally think Silva is way overrated, but I think Silva for the 2nd round SUB

Your joking right?????

Absolutely not my friend. I went over this in another post somewhere in this vast ocean of threads that need to be delted.

I think most old Pride fans like myself have the same mindset. Anderson Silva was a Pride washout. Losing to BAD fighters like Daiju Takase

and Ryo Chonan

If you haven't seen the Chonan fight I urge you to dig up the video, it's the best submission I've ever seen. You'll enjoy it.

It baffled me when I saw him come to the UFC and dominate. I think he's definately gotten better, but best pound for pound fighter in the world? (which is what alot of ppl have him ranked as) No f*ckin way.

I personally think his wins over Henderson, Leben, Franklin, and Marquardt can be attributed to a bad matchup. He's a lanky technical striker who's good at picking apart pocket brawlers which is what these 4 are. I think it'll be a different story when he meets a smart striker like Machida.
cmill21
6/28/08 12:20:21AM

Posted by juanez13

I think Irvin is the best striker Silva has faced in the UFC, but i still give the advantage to silva standing, Irvin throws mostly hooks, which gives anderson the chance to throw those very accurate straight punches. should be a good fight, im going with silva round 2 KO, if Franklin can survive one round standing with Silva, im sure Irvin Can.

Lol I think Rich was out at the end of round one in their second fight, but i guess he made it through. I won't know what happend in this fight until after afflictions over...
mrsmiley
6/28/08 12:21:24AM

Posted by cmill21

Posted by juanez13

Lol I think Rich was out at the end of round one in their second fight, but i guess he made it through. I won't know what happend in this fight until after afflictions over...

Same here.
GrandMaster313
6/28/08 12:26:14AM

Posted by mrsmiley

Posted by cmill21

Posted by juanez13

Same here.

Dito
roman
6/28/08 2:17:51AM

Posted by Figsak

Posted by Porch28

Posted by Figsak

Your joking right?????

Absolutely not my friend. I went over this in another post somewhere in this vast ocean of threads that need to be delted.

I think most old Pride fans like myself have the same mindset. Anderson Silva was a Pride washout. Losing to BAD fighters like Daiju Takase

and Ryo Chonan

If you haven't seen the Chonan fight I urge you to dig up the video, it's the best submission I've ever seen. You'll enjoy it.

It baffled me when I saw him come to the UFC and dominate. I think he's definately gotten better, but best pound for pound fighter in the world? (which is what alot of ppl have him ranked as) No f*ckin way.

I personally think his wins over Henderson, Leben, Franklin, and Marquardt can be attributed to a bad matchup. He's a lanky technical striker who's good at picking apart pocket brawlers which is what these 4 are. I think it'll be a different story when he meets a smart striker like Machida.

Well the Hendo fight sure did slove that one. No matter what you think. (although I have Henderson taking the rematch.)
mikevolz
6/28/08 2:52:59AM

Posted by Figsak

Posted by Porch28

Posted by Figsak

Your joking right?????

and Ryo Chonan

uhh?

since you do your research you should know that machida and anderson silva will probably never fight? considering how they are training partners and great friends? if silva permanently moves up to 205, machida will more than likely drop to 185.

ok bad match ups whatever. but i generally like to think that what happened about 3 and a half years ago, doesn't really apply to a fighter today, since a lot has changed since then. i mean by that logic we should be talking about how matt hughes is the best fighter on the planet right now, because of what he did in 2004. but whathave you. if you have 25 fights over the span of 8+ years, its fairly certain your going to have one bad fight, or two, or a few 'what the ****' moments. but if you want to go into his far past career, lets look at when he fought sakurai?

when he fought sakurai (someone i would consider a smart striker) sakurai was 20-0-2 with wins over trigg, uno, and azeredo.

he at the time was 5-1. with a loss to azeredo.

he won. he gave sakurai his first professional loss.

and could you please tell me who you have ranked in the top p4p list?
ThePlague
6/28/08 4:42:31AM
Just like the first poster on bloody elbow alludes to, I think they maybe should have switched up Silva's and Vera's opponents. With Irvin's power, he could catch Silva at any time- I could see a nasty uppercut from the clinch happening. That being said I'm still picking Silva of course. Sadly my cable company has some sort of problem with getting PPV's , so I'll find out before all of you privileged folks.
MMAcca
6/28/08 8:24:16AM

Posted by mikevolz

Yes please do figsak, because i'm sure your last statement baffled a LOT of people
Figsak
6/28/08 12:50:22PM

Posted by mikevolz

Posted by Figsak

uhh?

since you do your research you should know that machida and anderson silva will probably never fight? considering how they are training partners and great friends? if silva permanently moves up to 205, machida will more than likely drop to 185.

ok bad match ups whatever. but i generally like to think that what happened about 3 and a half years ago, doesn't really apply to a fighter today, since a lot has changed since then. i mean by that logic we should be talking about how matt hughes is the best fighter on the planet right now, because of what he did in 2004. but whathave you. if you have 25 fights over the span of 8+ years, its fairly certain your going to have one bad fight, or two, or a few 'what the ****' moments. but if you want to go into his far past career, lets look at when he fought sakurai?

when he fought sakurai (someone i would consider a smart striker) sakurai was 20-0-2 with wins over trigg, uno, and azeredo.

I agree with you totally. I'm not arguing with anyone here I'm just voicing my opinion.

I used machida as a template as to they type of fighter that I THINK should give Silva problems.

And I already stated that I'm a little biased because of his poor performances in the past with Pride. I think Silva is good, he's definately gotten alot better and I'm ALMOST a fan, I just hear ppl talking about him being the best fighter p4p in the world ever and so forth and I have to vent about that.

You could look into my p4p rankings... I'll list them anyways.

1. Fedor
2. GSP
3. Silva
4. Penn
5. Rampage
6. Couture
7. Shogun
8. Faber
9. Gomi
10. Barnett

I rank individual weight classes based on records, the P4P ranking system I don't thin you can accurately use that system so I base my picks on who I think has the most natural skill and ability. I gave a few fighters so extra spots up for beating such solid competition, but as a base I used my view of their natural ability. I do have Silva ranked #1 in the LHW div. though.
mikevolz
6/28/08 1:06:20PM

Posted by Figsak

Posted by mikevolz

Posted by Figsak

uhh?

I agree with you totally. I'm not arguing with anyone here I'm just voicing my opinion.

I used machida as a template as to they type of fighter that I THINK should give Silva problems.

And I already stated that I'm a little biased because of his poor performances in the past with Pride. I think Silva is good, he's definately gotten alot better and I'm ALMOST a fan, I just hear ppl talking about him being the best fighter p4p in the world ever and so forth and I have to vent about that.

You could look into my p4p rankings... I'll list them anyways.

1. Fedor
2. GSP
3. Silva
4. Penn
5. Rampage
6. Couture
7. Shogun
8. Faber
9. Gomi
10. Barnett

I rank individual weight classes based on records, the P4P ranking system I don't thin you can accurately use that system so I base my picks on who I think has the most natural skill and ability. I gave a few fighters so extra spots up for beating such solid competition, but as a base I used my view of their natural ability. I do have Silva ranked #1 in the LHW div. though.

im not really gonna argue p4p rankings because thats like arguing what the best beer is, and in the end we all sound retarded.

but a fighter like machida would not give anderson silva problems. anderson silva is a very aggressive counter fighter, and will back off if need be. i think hed walk through machida or pretty much anybody in his division. in 205, i think hed demolish most of the competition. the only *type* of fighter that would really give anderson problems is a jason day, or an aoki. a fighter with a good rubber guard, who likes to be on his back, and sweep for leg locks is where silva is going to have problems. the only problem for those fighters is how do they get him there
Figsak
6/28/08 1:16:00PM
I think one of us is gonna be proven wrong over the next 5 fights :P I look forward to the outcome.

P.S.- I wish we could of seen Martin Kampmann in the ring Vs Silva before he moved up. I think that would of been a very exciting fight.