James Irvin says Anderson Silva’s clinch isn’t real technical (video)

MMAPlayground.com » Community » MMA News Share Forum » James Irvin says Anderson Silva’s clinch isn’t real technical (video)
Porch28
7/13/08 9:19:49PM
It might not be technical but it sure is deadly right Ace

LINK
Bowen50
7/13/08 9:32:40PM

Anderson took Travis Lutter not making weight as disrespect. i can't even imagine what Anderson is thinking if he has seen any of the shit Irvin has said. Irvin has definitly signed his death certificate for July 19th, 2008.

EDIT: Where is the video link?
Mayhem13
7/13/08 9:56:01PM
haha and neither is Maia's groundgame.
wolfman
7/13/08 10:12:14PM

Posted by Bowen50

Anderson took Travis Lutter not making weight as disrespect. i can't even imagine what Anderson is thinking if he has seen any of the shit Irvin has said. Irvin has definitly signed his death certificate for July 19th, 2008.

EDIT: Where is the video link?

Yeah, where's the video?
Porch28
7/13/08 11:32:42PM
DOH!!!!!! Its there now
iwannabesedated
7/13/08 11:39:35PM
John Hackleman would beg to differ.

Clinch
Aaronno9
7/14/08 7:32:52AM
Wow, james is really digging himself a hole. Every interview hes done in the build up seems to have some kind of dig at Anderson. First hes got no power, no his clinch sucks. Irvins getting knocked out come saturday night.
VictimSix
7/14/08 8:19:33AM
Says James Irvin? Has he ever watched any of his fights? His stand up is anything but technical.
jocka
7/14/08 9:23:27AM
Oh well its gonna be funny when they clinche lol well see what happends lol
R-Bandd
7/14/08 10:14:13AM
Maybe Irvin just knows he is going to win.
JimmieDD
7/14/08 11:24:37AM
He is sort of right.. Anderson has those long limbs and he just chucks them out there often..
saemskin
7/14/08 11:37:34AM
Can someone who is a fighter please explain to me why this is so hard for some guys to deal with? If I knew Rich Franklin or Rampage I would ask them because they are 2 top 5 guys in their respective divisions who have been destroyed by thai clinch's more than once.

It seems to me that the overhanded nature of the thai clinch leaves the other guys's entire body open for double under hooks and therefore a body lock. Why not just grab them and pull them close when they first engage? I realise that once it's locked up they shove their asses out so it would be near impossible to grab their body at that point, but after they first grab you it seems logical to me.
Then if you missed that opportunity and the hands are locked, the butt is back, why would you not try to reach through and grab their head just the same and just fight back trying to pull *their* head down?

What I saw Rich and Quinton doing was trying to stand more erect so their heads couldn't be pulled down and the other guy simply worked the knees to the body until they gave up and de-postured and then got their heads smashed in.

Actual fighters, any thoughts about my 2 methods of counter the thai clinch I mention above?
Thunderfighting
7/14/08 12:41:59PM
its hard to deal with because when you get the clinch you arent just using your hands to pull you are using your elbows to block at the shoulders and chest so that stops alot of movement from the other persons arms, and even if they do they cant just pumell inside to get the underhooks, it would take alot of work, and by then you are already eating knees and the occasional elbow.
jocka
7/14/08 2:23:50PM

Posted by saemskin

Can someone who is a fighter please explain to me why this is so hard for some guys to deal with? If I knew Rich Franklin or Rampage I would ask them because they are 2 top 5 guys in their respective divisions who have been destroyed by thai clinch's more than once.

It seems to me that the overhanded nature of the thai clinch leaves the other guys's entire body open for double under hooks and therefore a body lock. Why not just grab them and pull them close when they first engage? I realise that once it's locked up they shove their asses out so it would be near impossible to grab their body at that point, but after they first grab you it seems logical to me.
Then if you missed that opportunity and the hands are locked, the butt is back, why would you not try to reach through and grab their head just the same and just fight back trying to pull *their* head down?

What I saw Rich and Quinton doing was trying to stand more erect so their heads couldn't be pulled down and the other guy simply worked the knees to the body until they gave up and de-postured and then got their heads smashed in.

Actual fighters, any thoughts about my 2 methods of counter the thai clinch I mention above?

Am not a fighther but i do martials arts and muay thai is one of them, the way to break that thai clin is to stand tall and pump your chest (like rampage and rich do) or you can try to swim in it means trying to get underhook in order to do the clich.

The problem is that its very hard to break when the guys applies is properly plus by erecting your body or swimming in you are leaving your ribcage open sure your face is ok but we all remember what happend to Rich Franklin when he tried protecting is rib cage.

I think the big problem is that Anderson seems like he is a lot stronger than he looks like and he can lift his knees so high while keeping his clinch. there is so many reason why his clinch is so good
Wolfenstein
7/14/08 5:33:04PM
I've seen Couture abuse people that use the thai clinch. He straightens up and starts throwing right hooks to the temple and behind the ear pretty effectively. Of course he has unusual strength.

I've only trained in Muay Thai sparingly to supplement, but getting underhooks is tough in the clinch unless the elbows pressed against your chest are loose. You can use one arm to blobk the knees and use your other arm to dirty box. Or you can reach across with your right arm underneath his chin and onto his right shoulder, using your forearm to lift his head, circle, and insert your left hand between his right arm and grab behind the head. Viola, now he's in the clinch.