James Irvin: Quinton Jackson, Scott Smith Hit Harder Than Anderson Silva

MMAPlayground.com » Community » MMA News Share Forum » James Irvin: Quinton Jackson, Scott Smith Hit Harder Than Anderson Silva
Wolfenstein
7/11/08 10:58:08PM
“I just don’t see myself losing,” Irvin said. “I’m expecting to take a lot of damage. I’m expecting to eat a lot of his shots, but I’ve sparred and trained with guys who hit a lot harder than he hits. I’d rather take three or four of his punches than fight someone like Quinton Jackson, who will just knock you out with either hand.

“I don’t think he has that kind of knockout power. I really don’t think he does. I’m not taking anything away from him, because he’s so well-rounded, but I don’t think he has that heavy handed punching power that someone like Scott Smith or Quinton Jackson does.”

Link
juanez13
7/11/08 11:03:57PM
they might have more raw Power, but Accuracy = power, and there are very few people as accurate as anderson. Rampage and all those who he mentioned dont land clean often, but still causes alot of damage because of the power they put into it. But Anderson lands clean, you get hit on the button, doesnt take much power to put you out. So if Irvin thinks he can take andersons shots, he is in for a rude awakening.
EON
7/11/08 11:10:58PM

Posted by juanez13

they might have more raw Power, but Accuracy = power, and there are very few people as accurate as anderson. Rampage and all those who he mentioned dont land clean often, but still causes alot of damage because of the power they put into it. But Anderson lands clean, you get hit on the button, doesnt take much power to put you out. So if Irvin thinks he can take andersons shots, he is in for a rude awakening.

yeah, i truly think irvin can only win if he storms anderson suddenly out of nowhere probably early in the fight because andersons conditioning, speed and overall striking abilities will be too much if it goes past round 1, and we all know whos better if it hits the ground, pretty sure irvin will go down as hard as kyle put him down, to me this isnt even close of a test as hendo was and imo hendo hits way harder than irvin
ThePlague
7/11/08 11:12:54PM
I like James Irvin, and I think he has a shot at winning this, but he should look at the list of fighters Silva has TKO'd- guys with great chins who don't lose via knockout on a regular basis. Even Hendo said that he got choked out because Silva's shots dazed him. Plus, Irvin got knocked clean out in his first UFC fight.
Twenty20Dollars
7/11/08 11:27:54PM
Yeah anderson throws pinpoint punches, and punches that land on the button rock you.

Irvin better win this fight, with all this smack he is talking. Otherwise anderson is just going to go crazy on irvin, silva is going to be pissed.
RMFG_187
7/11/08 11:29:02PM

Posted by EON

Posted by juanez13

yeah, i truly think irvin can only win if he storms anderson suddenly out of nowhere probably early in the fight because andersons conditioning, speed and overall striking abilities will be too much if it goes past round 1, and we all know whos better if it hits the ground, pretty sure irvin will go down as hard as kyle put him down, to me this isnt even close of a test as hendo was and imo hendo hits way harder than irvin

Im thinking that A Silvas conditioning isn't at par with his. and the only way I see irvin winning is by a lucky shot, or decision. in either case, A Silva round 1 KO. If Rashad gets injured ( lets pray he does) I wanna see Silva vs Liddell. That would be a friggin awesome fight. KO written all over it.
JimiMak
7/11/08 11:45:34PM
lol
DiabloFreak56
7/11/08 11:56:23PM

Posted by Twenty20Dollars

Yeah anderson throws pinpoint punches, and punches that land on the button rock you.

Irvin better win this fight, with all this smack he is talking. Otherwise anderson is just going to go crazy on irvin, silva is going to be pissed.

agreed also lets just wait till irvin feels one of anderson's knees.
jiujitsufreak74
7/12/08 12:03:33AM
the thing about Anderson is that his punches are deceiving. they don't look like they are doing any damage when you are watching from home, but like Juanez said it is his accuracy that really does the damage. i have never seen Henderson drop that fast of all my years watching MMA and it just seemed like Anderson tagged him with a jab. when he fought Leben, it looked like he was point sparring, but then Leben just hits the canvas...and we all know Leben has a rock solid chin. it might not seem like it, but his punches are deceptively powerful and they just cripple his opponents. yet another example is when he fought Franklin. he just landed a punch that seemed like a casual cross, not too much behind it, and then Rich stumbles as if he had been hit by a Rampage hook. it is really mind boggling to watch, and Irvin will realize that soon.
Kracker_Jap
7/12/08 12:13:10AM
I am a alone.........

but I am a true fan of the Sandmans so F-it War James Irvin

If Diaz beat Gomi --- Irvin can beat Anderson after all it is a fight
ChokeUout
7/12/08 12:15:29AM
lol...Irvin is trying his best to sell this fight, I'll give him that. So far he's said He'll beat silva in the clinch, He doesn't hit hard, he doesn't have a technichal clinch game, and a few other statements in the past week. ANderson's no dummy tho, he hears all this. Silva probably won't say one word in reply.

Finally, somebody has to say it, so I will.

James Irvin has ZERO chance of winning this fight. That's right, ZERO. He's too overconfident, his entire skillset is vastly inferior to Silva's (regardless of what skills you judge a fighter on), and on top of that, the most dangerous part of silva's game might just be his mindset: So focused, so calm, so intelligent.

If I gotta be the first or only one to say it, I will. Irvin has ABSOLELUTELY NO SHOT of beating silva. Know how they tell you to never say never? Guess what...I'm saying Never,
Kracker_Jap
7/12/08 12:18:01AM

Posted by ChokeUout

lol...Irvin is trying his best to sell this fight, I'll give him that. So far he's said He'll beat silva in the clinch, He doesn't hit hard, he doesn't have a technichal clinch game, and a few other statements in the past week. ANderson's no dummy tho, he hears all this. Silva probably won't say one word in reply.

James Irvin has ZERO chance of winning this fight. That's right, ZERO. He's too overconfident, his entire skillset is vastly inferior to Silva's (regardless of what skills you judge a fighter on), and on top of that, the most dangerous part of silva's game might just be his mindset: So focused, so calm, so intelligent.

If I gotta be the first or only one to say it, I will. Irvin has ABSOLELUTELY NO SHOT of beating silva. Know how they tell you to never say never? Guess what...I'm saying Never,

wow you really went out on a limb....

you should stay of the A. Silve Kool-aid and read some of the other post and realize that what you said is a broken record
RMFG_187
7/12/08 12:18:43AM

Posted by Kracker_Jap

Diaz can do it again too.
jiujitsufreak74
7/12/08 12:19:48AM

Posted by ChokeUout

that is what people said about Serra/GSP, Diaz/Gomi, Soko/Lil Nog, GG/CC, Couture/Sylvia, and Griffin/Shogun. funny how those fights turned out
ThePlague
7/12/08 12:35:38AM
I would never say never in any MMA fight, but especially in this case. On top of the change in weight class, Irving is a monster. I would actually prefer Silva stay out of the clinch in this case, Irvin sounds really intelligent and has been studying Silva's tapes closely. He'll be training for the clinch and with the way he hits, I could see him landing a vicious uppercut from the inside.
mikevolz
7/12/08 12:45:05AM

Posted by RMFG_187

Posted by EON

Posted by juanez13

Im thinking that A Silvas conditioning isn't at par with his. and the only way I see irvin winning is by a lucky shot, or decision. in either case, A Silva round 1 KO. If Rashad gets injured ( lets pray he does) I wanna see Silva vs Liddell. That would be a friggin awesome fight. KO written all over it.

anderson silva doesn't really need much conditioning.... he throws very few strikes compared to other fighters, doesn't scramble much, and controls the fight. the problem is he lands such a high percentage of shots, your screwed. look at when he fought rich franklin the second time, he was barely sweating at the round break. and when he fought hendo. hendo looked in terrible shape, and silva looked absolutely fine.
Pitbull09
7/12/08 12:58:58AM
Stick around for Irvin's post interview titled, "I was so ******* wrong."
Pookie
7/12/08 1:15:43AM
just to the person who mentioned the hit that dazed hendo... it was actually a knee
AnDeRsonDaSiLvA
7/12/08 1:22:21AM

Posted by jiujitsufreak74

the thing about Anderson is that his punches are deceiving. they don't look like they are doing any damage when you are watching from home, but like Juanez said it is his accuracy that really does the damage. i have never seen Henderson drop that fast of all my years watching MMA and it just seemed like Anderson tagged him with a jab. when he fought Leben, it looked like he was point sparring, but then Leben just hits the canvas...and we all know Leben has a rock solid chin. it might not seem like it, but his punches are deceptively powerful and they just cripple his opponents. yet another example is when he fought Franklin. he just landed a punch that seemed like a casual cross, not too much behind it, and then Rich stumbles as if he had been hit by a Rampage hook. it is really mind boggling to watch, and Irvin will realize that soon.

well said
blkssncpt
7/12/08 1:22:44AM

Posted by Kracker_Jap

I am a alone.........

No ur not alone cuz im with u, i also am a true long time fan of the Sandman. WAR JAMES IRVIN!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

btw: here's the fall article where that was pulled from. dammit im having trouble post this link but i guess u guys will cut to copy and paste. i guess u can try both, it for the same article.

http://sports.yahoo.com/mma/news;_ylt=AiXEQ1jc.MmFDm5RceHhELU9Eo14?slug=ki-irvin071008&prov=yhoo&type=lgns

http://sports.yahoo.com/mma/news?slug=ki-irvin071008&prov=yhoo&type=lgns

-Rob
EON
7/12/08 1:59:43AM

Posted by blkssncpt

Posted by Kracker_Jap

I am a alone.........

No ur not alone cuz im with u, i also am a true long time fan of the Sandman. WAR JAMES IRVIN!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

btw: here's the fall article where that was pulled from. dammit im having trouble post this link but i guess u guys will cut to copy and paste. i guess u can try both, it for the same article.

http://sports.yahoo.com/mma/news;_ylt=AiXEQ1jc.MmFDm5RceHhELU9Eo14?slug=ki-irvin071008&prov=yhoo&type=lgns

-Rob

hey look its the 3 people including irvin who thinks he will win
saemskin
7/12/08 2:03:23AM

Posted by ChokeUout

You're logic is flawed here. You say that Irvin is doing his best to sell this fight. Which implies that he is talking to anyone in the media about the fight simply to get people interested and generate a buzz.
Then you say he is overconfident? Based on what? Those interviews where he is trying to hype the fight.

See the contradictions in those 2 things you posit in your assessment?

That being said, how often is any fight so very 1-sided as to where the other guy gets totally annihilated? This "no-chance" business is pretty far from true based simply on probability (odds)
Pookie
7/12/08 2:13:34AM

Posted by saemskin

That being said, how often is any fight so very 1-sided as to where the other guy gets totally annihilated?

You know with anderson silva it tends to happen alot lol

wolfman
7/12/08 2:49:51AM

Posted by EON

Posted by blkssncpt

Posted by Kracker_Jap

I am a alone.........

-Rob

No need to laugh at them because they're Irvin fans.

I like both Anderson Silva and James Irvin, but to be honest I'd like to see Irvin win to quiet all the haters.
Jason-plata
7/12/08 2:58:47AM
I think that everyone needs to hold on tight here.
I think that Irvin will take this fight and shock the entire MMA community.
It will be like when Nick Diaz knocked out Robbie Lawler all over again.
EON
7/12/08 4:23:11AM

Posted by wolfman

Posted by EON

Posted by blkssncpt

Posted by Kracker_Jap

I am a alone.........

-Rob

I like both Anderson Silva and James Irvin, but to be honest I'd like to see Irvin win to quiet all the haters.

lol my god lighten up wolfmasta flash
hodge
7/12/08 6:38:54AM
I cant wait to see all the Silva Nuthuggers suddenly get a rude awakening

War Sandman!!!
Porch28
7/12/08 6:59:54AM

Posted by luke420187

“I just don’t see myself losing,” Irvin said. “I’m expecting to take a lot of damage. I’m expecting to eat a lot of his shots, but I’ve sparred and trained with guys who hit a lot harder than he hits. I’d rather take three or four of his punches than fight someone like Quinton Jackson, who will just knock you out with either hand.

“I don’t think he has that kind of knockout power. I really don’t think he does. I’m not taking anything away from him, because he’s so well-rounded, but I don’t think he has that heavy handed punching power that someone like Scott Smith or Quinton Jackson does.”

Link

Well he sure as hell is going to find out when they bust out the smelling salts and hes being carried out of the ring. Ask Leben about his punching power.I can't wait for this fight
saemskin
7/12/08 8:58:47AM

Posted by Pookie

Posted by saemskin
That being said, how often is any fight so very 1-sided as to where the other guy gets totally annihilated?

You know with anderson silva it tends to happen alot lol

Haha.
Touche`
wolfman
7/12/08 12:31:21PM

Posted by EON

Posted by wolfman

Posted by EON

Posted by blkssncpt

Posted by Kracker_Jap

I am a alone.........

-Rob

lol my god lighten up wolfmasta flash

I took my chillpill, now I'm better.