Jakes Shields Plans to Submit St. Pierre, Wants Anderson Silva

MMAPlayground.com » Community » MMA News Share Forum » Jakes Shields Plans to Submit St. Pierre, Wants Anderson Silva
FastKnockout
2/7/11 8:30:31PM
Fresh off a visit to Toronto I caught up with Jake Shields. In his Bloody Elbow Exclusive interview he talked about the long awaited matchup with St. Pierre, shared his plans derailing the super-fight the MMA world is calling and talked about his recent trip to Toronto to promote his title bout at UFC 129.

"I had to do some press and seminar stuff up there but overall the trip was great," Shields explained in regards to his Toronto visit. "They are really excited for the fight in Toronto. I had a lot of fans up there and I'm sure most of them are going to turn on me when I fight GSP but I still had a great reception."

During this trip a photo hit the internet of Shields wearing a Toronto Maple Leafs jersey while holding up another of St. Pierre's hometown Montreal Canadians.Neither Shields or GSP have been big trash talkers in the past but Shields felt a subtle push was in order.

LINK
Twenty20Dollars
2/7/11 8:43:16PM
I think you have to clear out the division before you can think about moving up for Silva, Jakey Jakey.
BlueSkiesBurn
2/7/11 9:06:53PM
Oh Jake, at least you believe it. I mean, he could beat GSP. I don't see it happening and am giving him about a 5% chance of winning, but there's no way in hell he's gonna get Anderson any time soon.
State_Champ
2/7/11 10:27:46PM
I'd give Jake more of a chance against Spider Silva than GSP.

GSP is a horrible style match-up for Jake Shields, imo.
isk
2/7/11 10:36:58PM
While I think GSP is gonna win decisively, I like Shields' moxie. This is exactly the kind of attitude a fighter needs.
pmoney
2/7/11 10:55:09PM

Posted by isk

While I think GSP is gonna win decisively, I like Shields' moxie. This is exactly the kind of attitude a fighter needs.

I can add nothing beyond that. But I can ask, how have you been a member since 07 and never made a single pick?
tcunningham
2/8/11 1:59:35AM
i would give him a chance with silva for one reason, chael sonnen controlled and out wrestled silva and if jake could do the same he could grind out a decision but more than likely not. as for GSP, jakes in for a Josh koscheck look alike afterwords, the jab comith
Twenty20Dollars
2/8/11 2:08:56AM
If you want to see how GSP vs Shields is going to go just watch GSP vs fitch and GSP vs Koscheck.

I'll give shields like .05% chance of winning.
hate4thestate
2/8/11 4:49:45AM
I almost never hear anything about Jake Shields winning his next fight. Always Kampmann this, Hendo that, Lawler is gonna do this and GSP is gonna do this. Dude has a huge solid chance. Better chance than anyone in the division imo. I hope he shuts everyone up again.
tallica62
2/8/11 8:35:02AM
I don't know why, but I really dislike Shields...I don't believe he is as good (MMA-wise) as he is made out to be, and by no means does he deserve a Title shot this early in his UFC career...totally unfair

Dana..pleaseeeeeee...after GSP runs him over, feed him to Silva so we can add to Silvas new Segal-empowered highlight reel
icantthinkofanything
2/8/11 11:20:03AM
I like Jake's attitude, although I think he would be forced to defend his belt againt GSP or Fitch along with others before getting a crack at the Spider. I think it is weird that I see Jake and Fitch doing well vs Anderson, but not GSP, I think GSP would do better, but for some reason I have been brainwashed into thinking GSP is too small for mthe Spider, but Fitch and Shields arent?

Gsp bulk up and lets do this...if Andy beats GSP, Andy vs Jones/ Rua winner would be only fair to GSP .
Image Attachment(s):
Photo Attachment 1
Makaveli158
2/8/11 11:35:59AM
I agree. I can easily see Shields grinding out a UD or even submitting GSP. Very few are giving Shields any chance at all which is amazing considering his record and grappling credentials. Shields current win streak is almost twice as long as GSPs and it isn't like Shields has been fighting nobodies. Kampmann, Hendo, Miller, Lawler, Daley, Condit, Okami.

Shields will be GSPs toughest opponent since BJ Penn and I gotta say for everyone that is giving Shields **** - I hope he wins just to shut people up.

Still, I think Shields has a better chance against Silva then he does against GSP matchup wise. How awesome would it be if by years end Shields is the UFC MW and WW champ?

GSP better be working with his hands a lot - its the only way I see him beating Shields imo.
MaxOne
2/8/11 12:18:55PM

Posted by State_Champ

I'd give Jake more of a chance against Spider Silva than GSP.

GSP is a horrible style match-up for Jake Shields, imo.

same here.
BlueSkiesBurn
2/8/11 4:21:19PM

Posted by Makaveli158

I agree. I can easily see Shields grinding out a UD or even submitting GSP. Very few are giving Shields any chance at all which is amazing considering his record and grappling credentials. Shields current win streak is almost twice as long as GSPs and it isn't like Shields has been fighting nobodies. Kampmann, Hendo, Miller, Lawler, Daley, Condit, Okami.

Shields will be GSPs toughest opponent since BJ Penn and I gotta say for everyone that is giving Shields **** - I hope he wins just to shut people up.

Still, I think Shields has a better chance against Silva then he does against GSP matchup wise. How awesome would it be if by years end Shields is the UFC MW and WW champ?

GSP better be working with his hands a lot - its the only way I see him beating Shields imo.

He would need to be able to take GSP down in order to grind out a decision. That's not going to happen often enough for him to win his decision. Shields is going to need to set up his take-downs with his striking to get a wrestler like GSP down.

Before anyone goes and brings up Dan Henderson, let's not forget that he hadn't fought in almost a year, was 38 at the time of the fight, and clearly was not in the shape that we're used to seeing Dan Henderson get in for a fight.

GSP is a different animal than anyone that Shields has ever fought before. GSP creates a gameplan, implements the game plan, and sticks to the gameplan. He makes the necessary adjustments in-between rounds, as well.

Shields is never going to scare anyone with his striking. GSP, on the other hand, is coming off turning Koscheck's eye socket into putty. He's also turned Fitches face into hamburger meat. Thiago Alves couldn't mount a striking offense against GSP, Shields isn't going to, either.

I think too many people are looking at this from the Caesar Gracie camp aspect and not from the "Jake Shields" aspect. Shields doesn't have power, technique or boxing ability that the Diaz brothers have. He's got great jiu-jitsu, but so does GSP.

Sure, Shields is a Gracie black belt, guess what, GSP trains with Donaher who's ALSO a Gracie black belt.

Shields has great wrestling, guess what? GSP has the best wrestling in MMA.

Go through ANY of Shields' opponents and find me ONE who is A+ at striking, BJJ, wrestling, gameplanning, and takedown defense. There are none. GSP has fought a Jake Shields before. Jon Fitch also a high level wrestler with a BJJ black belt. GSP mollywopped him.

You want to know why few are giving Shields the chance, because we have seen this dance before. We know what happens. Shields isn't exactly a world-beater and GSP is.

We have seen GSP take down many a BJJ black belt and just pass their guard like it's nothing. He avoids high-risk ground and pound and doesn't make mistakes during his transitions.

Shields will be rethinking trying to take GSP down after GSP stuffs a couple and punishes him with his quick and effective striking. After that, it's Shields stand-up vs GSP's stand-up. Do even YOU like those odds?

As I said, we've seen this match-up before for GSP. As a matter of fact, we have almost seen this EXACT match-up before:

This will be the SECOND time GSP has fought a high-level wrestler with a BJJ black-belt and limited striking ability who is coming in off a 15+ fight win streak.
Makaveli158
2/8/11 6:52:47PM
You bring up very good points. There is no question that GSP will outstrike Shields - that is why Shields needs to take this fight to the ground. But I agree with just about everything you say.

One point of contention I have though is the comparison in wrestling. I consider GSP to be perhaps the best wrestler in MMA also. But I don't think GSP has exactly fought a wrestler like Shields. Shields does not have explosive takedowns - but he has also proven that he doesn't need them. He always finds a way to take the fight to the ground. Look at the Kampmann fight, Shields was completely gassed and he still exerted his control. He controlled Hendo for 4 rounds also, but you are right Hendo wasn't exactly running at top performance - but still Hendo is easily one of the top wrestlers to ever step into the Octagon and he still got dominated on the ground. Shields is going to be the strongest, heaviest wrestler that GSP has fought, it will not have the same dynamic as fighting a Fitch or a Koscheck. And don't forget, Koscheck did get takedowns against GSP; in their first fight and in their recent fight. If Kos can do it - Shields can do it.

People make fun of Shields and call him a blanket - that is exactly what he is, a lead blanket. I think if his condition is right that he can out-muscle GSP on the ground. Remember that shields has been fighting at 185 for the past few years. To sum it up; GSP is a master wrestler, but I think Shields can recreate his performance vs Hendo and surprise everyone with how good his wrestling really is.

The only point that I really disagree with is the Jitsu. Shields is a Cesar Gracie black belt. No Cesar Gracie black belt has ever been submitted in MMA. I believe there are 3 Cesar blackbelts - Nick, Jake, and David Terrel - They have nearly 70 fights between them and not once have they been submitted in MMA. This is the best Jits gets far as I am concerned and I don't see GSP touching Jake here. If he couldn't submit Hardy then I'll eat my hat before he submits Jake. Shields has 11 submissions; although none against exactly top opponents.

Shields will be looking for a UD grind win first and foremost; but if there is an opening for a submission he will take it and you don't want to be locked in a submission against Shields- you don't escape. Don't forget that Shields submitted Fitch in a grappling match, along with submitting the guy who submitted GSP in ADCC.

So that's how I see it. It's going to be a rough fight for Shields, but if he can get GSP down and exert his control over him like he's known for, or utilize his Jits - then its his fight to win.
BlueSkiesBurn
2/8/11 7:06:36PM

Posted by Makaveli158

You bring up very good points. There is no question that GSP will outstrike Shields - that is why Shields needs to take this fight to the ground. But I agree with just about everything you say.

One point of contention I have though is the comparison in wrestling. I consider GSP to be perhaps the best wrestler in MMA also. But I don't think GSP has exactly fought a wrestler like Shields. Shields does not have explosive takedowns - but he has also proven that he doesn't need them. He always finds a way to take the fight to the ground. Look at the Kampmann fight, Shields was completely gassed and he still exerted his control. He controlled Hendo for 4 rounds also, but you are right Hendo wasn't exactly running at top performance - but still Hendo is easily one of the top wrestlers to ever step into the Octagon and he still got dominated on the ground. Shields is going to be the strongest, heaviest wrestler that GSP has fought, it will not have the same dynamic as fighting a Fitch or a Koscheck. And don't forget, Koscheck did get takedowns against GSP; in their first fight and in their recent fight. If Kos can do it - Shields can do it.

People make fun of Shields and call him a blanket - that is exactly what he is, a lead blanket. I think if his condition is right that he can out-muscle GSP on the ground. Remember that shields has been fighting at 185 for the past few years. To sum it up; GSP is a master wrestler, but I think Shields can recreate his performance vs Hendo and surprise everyone with how good his wrestling really is.

The only point that I really disagree with is the Jitsu. Shields is a Cesar Gracie black belt. No Cesar Gracie black belt has ever been submitted in MMA. I believe there are 3 Cesar blackbelts - Nick, Jake, and David Terrel - They have nearly 70 fights between them and not once have they been submitted in MMA. This is the best Jits gets far as I am concerned and I don't see GSP touching Jake here. If he couldn't submit Hardy then I'll eat my hat before he submits Jake. Shields has 11 submissions; although none against exactly top opponents.

Shields will be looking for a UD grind win first and foremost; but if there is an opening for a submission he will take it and you don't want to be locked in a submission against Shields- you don't escape. Don't forget that Shields submitted Fitch in a grappling match, along with submitting the guy who submitted GSP in ADCC.

So that's how I see it. It's going to be a rough fight for Shields, but if he can get GSP down and exert his control over him like he's known for, or utilize his Jits - then its his fight to win.

Don't get me wrong, GSP can be taken down, but NOBODY, and I mean NOBODY has been able to control or keep him there since he became "GSP."

Shields is fighting an uphill battle against GSP in terms of grappling. Shields did control Kampmann, but the Hitman isn't nearly as proficient in all areas as GSP. Usually Shields can use one aspect of his game to transition to another.

In this instance, I think he's outmatched (on paper) or at least equaled in all aspects.

You're right, I won't be picking GSP to submit Shields, but that's not why I brought up GSP's training with Donaher. I brought it up because Shields usually has a vastly superior working and practical knowledge of Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu before he ever enters the cage.

By virtue of being a C. Gracie black belt, that's often enough of an advantage to allow him to pull off slick and high-level submissions. Mostly because, like Diaz, you never see them coming because you're not trained to defend against that level of skill.

With Donaher, however, GSP WILL be able to defend and recognize the set-ups that Shields will use. Donaher basically lives at Renzo's gym. He's a student of one of the best BJJ artists in the world and he's very much a student of the game. GSP is also a student of the game and takes his training very seriously. He only brings in the very best to impart their wisdom upon him.

That knowledge gives GSP, coupled with his abilities, at least equal footing in the submission department by, if nothing else, the ability to neutralize Shields' biggest weapon.

I think that one crucial aspect of GSP's game that nobody mentions along side Shields being a lead blanket on that ground is GSP's work ethic. You don't outwork GSP. GSP will make Shields work for EVERY INCH of position and that will tire out Shields more than GSP. I have seen GSP go five plenty of times and still look completely refreshed after working the entire match.

I can't say the same about Shields.
bjj1605
2/10/11 12:25:14AM

Posted by BlueSkiesBurn

Posted by Makaveli158

Don't get me wrong, GSP can be taken down, but NOBODY, and I mean NOBODY has been able to control or keep him there since he became "GSP."

Shields is fighting an uphill battle against GSP in terms of grappling. Shields did control Kampmann, but the Hitman isn't nearly as proficient in all areas as GSP. Usually Shields can use one aspect of his game to transition to another.

In this instance, I think he's outmatched (on paper) or at least equaled in all aspects.

You're right, I won't be picking GSP to submit Shields, but that's not why I brought up GSP's training with Donaher. I brought it up because Shields usually has a vastly superior working and practical knowledge of Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu before he ever enters the cage.

By virtue of being a C. Gracie black belt, that's often enough of an advantage to allow him to pull off slick and high-level submissions. Mostly because, like Diaz, you never see them coming because you're not trained to defend against that level of skill.

With Donaher, however, GSP WILL be able to defend and recognize the set-ups that Shields will use. Donaher basically lives at Renzo's gym. He's a student of one of the best BJJ artists in the world and he's very much a student of the game. GSP is also a student of the game and takes his training very seriously. He only brings in the very best to impart their wisdom upon him.

That knowledge gives GSP, coupled with his abilities, at least equal footing in the submission department by, if nothing else, the ability to neutralize Shields' biggest weapon.

I think that one crucial aspect of GSP's game that nobody mentions along side Shields being a lead blanket on that ground is GSP's work ethic. You don't outwork GSP. GSP will make Shields work for EVERY INCH of position and that will tire out Shields more than GSP. I have seen GSP go five plenty of times and still look completely refreshed after working the entire match.

I can't say the same about Shields.

The great thing about shields though is that his game isn't about holding positions. he flows. He takes you down and passes your guard. you start to buck. He mounts you. You start to escape, he takes your back. You stand up. He releases his hooks and keeps your back so he can drag you back down.

I agree that on the surface he is a lot like fitch. But he is different on a deeper level. He has better takedowns (maybe not visually, but as the above poster mentioned he gets the job done). I didn't expect him to take down Hendo, but he did. He also goes for submissions more than fitch and floats his weight better rather than trying to hold a position.

I totally agree that he should be the underdog but I give him a really solid chance at winning this fight. He's the most dangerous challenger since Alves (and those two with BJ Penn are his toughest challenges overall).
BlueSkiesBurn
2/10/11 12:44:08AM

Posted by bjj1605
He's the most dangerous challenger since Alves (and those two with BJ Penn are his toughest challenges overall).

He walked all over Alves and BJ was only tough the first time. He walked all over him the second time.