Jake Shields to Train With Chael Sonnen During UFC 129 Prep for GSP

MMAPlayground.com » Community » MMA News Share Forum » Jake Shields to Train With Chael Sonnen During UFC 129 Prep for GSP
FastKnockout
3/28/11 3:15:43PM
As he prepares for his UFC 129 main-event fight with Georges St. Pierre, former EliteXC welterweight champion and former Strikeforce middleweight champion Jake Shields will spend some time training with Chael Sonnen. Jake Shields comments on Spike TV:

"So far things are going great, camp's going good. We just had Court Mcgee out here ... you've got Chael Sonnen coming out this week, things are going good. I'm pushing, in great shape. I'm just excited, I'm ready to go."

LINK
Theoutlaw08
3/28/11 3:16:40PM
Hopefully Jake doesn't learn how to take steroids from Chael and just trains in fighting
jgtribbett
3/28/11 3:30:23PM
will no doubt help his wrestling
Theoutlaw08
3/28/11 3:41:45PM

Posted by jgtribbett

will no doubt help his wrestling

For sure. And it will help his GNP
Chael_Sonnen
3/28/11 3:45:00PM

Posted by Theoutlaw08

Hopefully Jake doesn't learn how to take steroids from Chael and just trains in fighting

Maybe Hardy should train with Chael to better his wrestling.
SpiderSilva
3/28/11 3:50:53PM
maybe shields should worry more about GSPs jab and stand up cause I'm pretty sure GSP won't take this fight to the ground
emfleek
3/28/11 3:56:33PM

Posted by SpiderSilva

maybe shields should worry more about GSPs jab and stand up cause I'm pretty sure GSP won't take this fight to the ground

Agreed. This fight's gonna look a lot like Kos/GSP II, I think.
BigIP
3/28/11 4:02:49PM
BJ needs to train with Chael to prepare him for the Fitch rematch.
cowcatcher
3/28/11 4:04:24PM
I assumed he would be training with him on how to trash talk and have a personality.
Theoutlaw08
3/28/11 4:08:22PM

Posted by Chael_Sonnen

Posted by Theoutlaw08

Thats cool, he should. Chael's a good wrestler.
Hendo67
3/28/11 4:41:58PM

Posted by Theoutlaw08

Posted by Chael_Sonnen

Posted by Theoutlaw08

Then what are you getting at?

I like this, Shields will be grappling with an elite wrestler, and hopefully gets some good trash talk help as well.
Theoutlaw08
3/28/11 4:50:42PM

Posted by Hendo67

Posted by Theoutlaw08

Posted by Chael_Sonnen

Posted by Theoutlaw08

Then what are you getting at?

I like this, Shields will be grappling with an elite wrestler, and hopefully gets some good trash talk help as well.

DUDE - It was a joke! Chael is a good wrestler.
MaxOne
3/28/11 6:21:17PM

Posted by SpiderSilva

exactly. He's not going to beat GSP w/striking but that is where Jake is the weakest so he should be working like mad to improve his stand up. Grappling w/Chael isn't going to hurt him either....unless he gets injured. that would hurt.
Budgellism
3/28/11 6:54:55PM

Posted by cowcatcher

I assumed he would be training with him on how to trash talk and have a personality.

Ahaha, this made me laugh, thanks man. It won't let me give you props, apparently I give you too many props and need to spread the love. Stop being so god damn funny then! haha.
sbulldavid
3/28/11 7:34:05PM
I think it's an excellent idea because Chael offers the same strength advantage that St. Pierre offers, but I think he ought to be training against some elite strikers so he can work on surviving GSP's stand-up.
TS92turbo
3/28/11 8:19:46PM

Posted by Chael_Sonnen

Posted by Theoutlaw08

Maybe Hardy should train with Chael to better his everything. LMFAO
TS92turbo
3/28/11 8:21:15PM

Posted by BigIP

BJ needs to train with Chael to prepare him for the Fitch rematch.

As I recall, BJ took fitch down 4 times before the third round.
Gladiator
3/28/11 9:14:21PM

Posted by SpiderSilva

Idk, ur definitely right about shields needing to improve his standup but at this point i think its a little too late. He doesnt have enough time to even come close to bridging the gap between his standup and GSPs and if he cant take gsp down he'll look like kos no matter how much hes improved his standup, gsp is just that good on the feet. I think hes doing the right thing my sharpening his strengths, imo the key for shields to win this fight relies completely in his ability to put gsp on his back... which is probably one the the hardest things to do in mma right now. Chael seems like the right guy to take shields wrestling to another level, or at the very least give him some new tricks to utilize in his gameplan.
Theoutlaw08
3/28/11 9:39:18PM

Posted by TS92turbo

Posted by Chael_Sonnen

Posted by Theoutlaw08

Maybe Hardy should train with Chael to better his everything. LMFAO

What you're trying to rip on Hardy to make me mad or something, if you didn't see from the last page it was a joke.
Lesnar1
3/29/11 6:40:22AM
Obviously Jake is trying to bring his wrestling up a level before he fights GSP. It will definitely help but GSP is a different animal when it comes to wrestling and Sheilds will likely want to get GSP down I don't see that happening. GSP IMO will implore the same stradegy as the Koscheck fight and outstrike Sheilds which will earn him another Decision win.
icantthinkofanything
3/29/11 10:59:17AM
I like this training arrangement for a few reasons
Chael is the most effective wrestler at 185,
Chael closed the distance well against Silva, and his striking was good, but his speed was better, I wonder if Chaels "medication" "testosterone" was why Chael looked like he was on hyperspeed overdrive fighting Silva and Okami etc. if it was natural ability than maybe Jake could pick up on those methods.
Also I think it is in Chaels best interest to help Jake win his fight, because Chael wants Silva next, and knows if GSP beats Jake, GSP will get Silva next, whereas if Jake wins, he will get Fitch or Condit next.or a GSP rematch