Jake Shields Opts to Remain in Main Event of UFC Fight Night 25

MMAPlayground.com » Community » MMA News Share Forum » Jake Shields Opts to Remain in Main Event of UFC Fight Night 25
FastKnockout
8/31/11 7:56:28PM
Despite his father, Jack, passing away earlier this week, UFC welterweight contender Jake Shields has opted to remain in the main event of the upcoming UFC Fight Night 25: Shields vs. Ellenberger.

LINK
prophecy033
8/31/11 8:17:24PM
I'm not a huge fan of Jake but I gotta give respect where its due...mad props Mr. Shields
mattjonesy
8/31/11 9:12:38PM

Posted by prophecy033

I'm not a huge fan of Jake but I gotta give respect where its due...mad props Mr. Shields

But I really dont think its the right thing to do. U cant train to ure full potential let alone fight when something like this happens.
prophecy033
8/31/11 9:24:09PM

Posted by mattjonesy

Posted by prophecy033

But I really dont think its the right thing to do. U cant train to ure full potential let alone fight when something like this happens.

very true, maybe he thinks its what his dad would want
prozacnation1978
8/31/11 9:24:40PM
If I were him I would opt out
His head is else where right now, he will either get knocked out quick or sub ellenburger like a man possed.
Twenty20Dollars
8/31/11 11:12:16PM
props to him
FastKnockout
8/31/11 11:37:35PM

Posted by mattjonesy

Posted by prophecy033

True. I remember reading an interview with Vitor Belfort where he blamed his losses to Couture and Ortiz on the kidnapping of his sister. When something dramatic like this happens, it's hard to stay focused on the tasks at hand.
prophecy033
9/1/11 12:21:26AM

Posted by FastKnockout

Posted by mattjonesy

Posted by prophecy033

True. I remember reading an interview with Vitor Belfort where he blamed his losses to Couture and Ortiz on the kidnapping of his sister. When something dramatic like this happens, it's hard to stay focused on the tasks at hand.

you could tell Vitor wasn't right in those fights. It took him awhile to get his head right. But i feel Jake is stronger mentally then Vitor
jay98107
9/1/11 2:57:57AM

Posted by prophecy033

Posted by FastKnockout

Posted by mattjonesy

Posted by prophecy033

you could tell Vitor wasn't right in those fights. It took him awhile to get his head right. But i feel Jake is stronger mentally then Vitor

Vitors return to prominence coincided pretty much exactly with the arrest of his sisters murderers.
Poor_Franklin
9/1/11 4:35:19AM
I really hope he isn't forcing himself to do something he doesn't want to bc of being THE star that is driving this card. I know we know who is fighting, but to your average joe, he might be the only guy joe shmo has ever heard of on this card.

i never liked shields, & he has always had my respect, but he has earned a few extra points. just hope his head is right when he steps in the octagon
pmoney
9/1/11 5:17:33AM
That's valor right there. I have a hell of a lot of respect for Jake Shields.
Shawn91111
9/1/11 8:44:12AM
Nobody can put themselves in his place and say its the right or wrong thing to, only Jake knows. Only he knows how much this will help or affect him.
icantthinkofanything
9/1/11 12:31:23PM
Choke him out Jake!
RIP Jack
Bubbles
9/1/11 12:44:19PM
i can see this playing out the way Favre did on that Monday nighter right after his dad passed away. i hope so anyways
bjj1605
9/1/11 7:31:37PM
It could also be a motivating factor for him.

No one knows how this will affect him. Emotions are funny things.

Maybe he will be determined to win the fight 'for his dad'.

I say whatever he feels is right, IS right.
Kpro
9/1/11 11:20:22PM

Posted by bjj1605

It could also be a motivating factor for him.

No one knows how this will affect him. Emotions are funny things.

Maybe he will be determined to win the fight 'for his dad'.

I say whatever he feels is right, IS right.

I agree. I was going to post something similar. This could motivate him just as easily as it could take his attention away from the fight.