If UFC get Jake Shields who do u want him to fight first?

MMAPlayground.com » MMA General » UFC Forum » If UFC get Jake Shields who do u want him to fight first?
Next Page »
POLL: First fight for shields?
Thiago Alves 3% (2)
Jon Fitch 27% (16)
Georges St. Pierre 3% (2)
Diego Sanchez 31% (18)
Mike Swick 32% (19)
Josh Koscheck 3% (2)
mentalcase
10/21/08 3:59:04PM
Out of these top 6 WW match ups witch would u like to see for his Octagon debut?
jocka
10/21/08 4:04:44PM
IMO all the guys on your list beats Shields so it doesn't matter, i think Sanchez should get to beat him first.
juanez13
10/21/08 4:12:22PM
Jon Fitch would be a good one, he hasnt got a fight schedule so he is a possibility.

Same for Sanchez, by the time he gets back from the injury,shields could be signed and ready to go, so possible and great match up.

Twenty20Dollars
10/21/08 4:17:12PM
I'd say fitch, they would be a good technical match up. Plus it would propel the winner closer to being #1 contender.
tuvok500
10/21/08 4:22:12PM
Diego Sanchez is the only one who will not immediately destroy Shields , so i pick Diego to test Shields.

emfleek
10/21/08 4:30:08PM
I say Fitch only because I'm dying to hear who he's going to fight next, damnit.

wiggum
10/21/08 4:38:07PM

Posted by jocka

IMO all the guys on your list beats Shields so it doesn't matter, i think Sanchez should get to beat him first.

agreed....i say sanchez cuz they both have the rough and tumble ground style so itll be really excting until sanchez stops him...other than that, throw him to whoever exposes him the best, i think im the only one that does not want to see him fight in the ufc or anywhere for that matter....talented but boring
MMAcca
10/21/08 4:38:54PM
All (except maybe Swick) will beat Shields.
Wolfenstein
10/21/08 5:15:38PM
Jake Shilds would probably own Diego Sanchez just like he did at the ADCC in 05'. He also submitted Jon Fitch at the Gracie Open in 06'. Aside from his submission wrestling accomplishments he has also beaten a ton of top fighters in MMA including Carlos Condit, Yushin Okami, Sakurai, and Mike Pyle.

He didn't look that great against Paul Daley, primarily because all Paul worked on was his takedown defense, and he's a top level striker. That's going to give any fighter problems because not many guys can stand with Daley. I think the overrated talk is garbage.

They should put him in with stiff competition right away. This might be the first guy that GSP is not going to take down with ease. Since Karo doesn't have an opponent yet for UFC 94 give him Karo.
cowcatcher
10/21/08 5:20:16PM
as soon as i heard about elitexc going down and shields coming to the ufc, the only name i thought of was fitch.
CantAndleDaRiddum
10/21/08 5:33:01PM
shields showed me in his last fight that he might ot be on the level everyone has put him on

i'd rather see him give condit competition in wec

if ufc brings him in & feeds him to the ww division wolves, he will look very weak

from the names ive read people brought up so far, i must agree w/ mmacca in that shields would lose to all, except swick
stock
10/21/08 5:57:05PM

Posted by MMAcca

I'd put him against Diego.
CwB
10/21/08 6:01:18PM

Posted by MMAcca

thats why i chose swick i think it would be a good test for shields and from there we can see where he truly belongs in the ufc WW division...

or if dana wants to embarrass elite xc they could through shields in against GSP and have the elite xc world champ destroyed by ufc's champ( i dont want to see that happen and i doubt it will)
SpiderSilva
10/21/08 6:59:44PM
I would love to see Fitch beat him up oh and if the WEC sign's him maybe they will add Kimbo to their HW's
mkiv9secsupra
10/21/08 7:08:45PM
GSP so we can see him get TKO'd in the first round so we dont ever have to hear him say he can beat GSP blah blah blah....Then let him fight Sanchez to boot himout of the top ten, then Marcus Davis to boot him from the UFC and hopefully to the WEC.
imanidiot777
10/21/08 7:36:00PM
I don't think he would beat any of those guys and the last thing the UFC wants to do is sign him, put him against someone good, and watch him get wrecked. At the same time, you don't want to toss him a can. I say he should fight either Matt Serra or Karo Parisyan. Both are coming off losses, and both are pretty good while not the best (tough to say that about Karo but he's down there now I think).
copcopps
10/21/08 8:22:58PM

Posted by stock

Posted by MMAcca

I'd put him against Diego.

I agree, I'll make him take Fitch though
StorminYourman
10/21/08 8:38:14PM
I think Jake vs Carlos Condit would be a good fight!
prozacnation1978
10/21/08 8:52:47PM
he will face a top ten guy first maybe karo in jan if they can sign shields by the end of the week
haggiswashere
10/21/08 8:55:01PM

Posted by emfleek

I say Fitch only because I'm dying to hear who he's going to fight next, damnit.

i agree
cheesy-maggot
10/21/08 9:04:38PM
I really don't think Shields is as bad as you guys think he is, although I don't consider him top 3 either.

I think he should fight Swick so we can see where he stands, and if he beats him then maybe give him Karo or maybe even the loser of Koscheck/Alves.
CantAndleDaRiddum
10/21/08 9:45:47PM

Posted by StorminYourman

i wanna see a trilogy too be honest....i think theyd be that competitive w/ each other
StorminYourman
10/22/08 12:23:57AM

Posted by CantAndleDaRiddum

Posted by StorminYourman

i wanna see a trilogy too be honest....i think theyd be that competitive w/ each other

DevonFoxy
10/22/08 12:39:09AM
I dont know why there is so much hate for Shields. Hes subbed Fitch quite easily already and Diego.May have been grappling but its still getting subbed.

He looked bad against Daley who is probably the best striker at 170 and no one claims his striking is top level. Dude has amazing JJ and is a pretty good wrestler. Prolly not as good as Fitch, Kos, or GSP but I would put him 4th. He can beat any of those guys though with his BJJ which is easily better than just about every fighter at WW except for perhaps Serra.
fonduktoe
10/22/08 12:52:59AM

Posted by DevonFoxy

I dont know why there is so much hate for Shields. Hes subbed Fitch quite easily already and Diego.May have been grappling but its still getting subbed.

He looked bad against Daley who is probably the best striker at 170 and no one claims his striking is top level. Dude has amazing JJ and is a pretty good wrestler. Prolly not as good as Fitch, Kos, or GSP but I would put him 4th. He can beat any of those guys though with his BJJ which is easily better than just about every fighter at WW except for perhaps Serra.

i agree his sub-game would be hard to match at ww, but his deficiences in stand-up would spell doom for him against fighters like gsp, alves (better than daley), fitch (cause it wouldn't be grappling it would be mma), kos, diego, swick, etc.
i still look forward to any of the aforementioned fights, but imo there are better all-around mma fighters in the ufc's ww division and shields will finally have his much coveted tough fight should he wind up in the ufc's ww mix.
Pookie
10/22/08 1:08:35AM
Sheilds has an amazing top game, and because of that id most want to see him against koscheck, in a fight that i think Koscheck would lose.

Diego v. Sheilds IMO would make a very exciting fight though, shields would take him down quickly and from there its too highly bjj black belts who are especially good at transitions.

Gsp owns him IMO, stylistically.

Fitch v. Sheilds seems like a very boring and slow paced fight to me.

Alves i think would be really effective against Jake, he has destructive power and very good Takedown defense - jake is going to have to shoot in on the much shorter stronger and more compact guy to get into his niche. Alves IMO would stop sheilds early .

Sheilds v. Parisyan - Id give it to Sheilds mainly because Diego out grappled parisyan and i feel sheilds is much more competent of a grappler.
CantAndleDaRiddum
10/22/08 12:29:01PM

Posted by Pookie

Sheilds has an amazing top game, and because of that id most want to see him against koscheck, in a fight that i think Koscheck would lose.

i think Koscheck gets HL reel KO if this fight happens. Shields can't sub KOS if it stays on the feet.

everyone in ufc will see Shields striking sucks & will keep it on the feet. then u will see something similar to Hansen vs Aoki

tepid55
10/22/08 12:39:20PM
I think Fitch would be good matchup for Sheilds since they have similar styles.
NatedawgThaM
10/22/08 5:44:54PM
I don't think you should throw him to the fire yet. Let him make his way up like any other new comer to the UFC, don't punish him just because he was the best EliteXC had to offer, and throw him to the fire and ruin his career just because you wanna prove UFC > EliteXC.

I say give him Marcus Davis or Mike Swick first. Maybe even Lugi, Burkman, or Hazzelett as a warm up 1st fight. But wait til at least the 3rd or 4th fight if he's extremely impressive to throw him Kos, Fitch, Diego, or Thiago even though I think he's good enough and has the potential to beat them all in a few fights.
bls1919
10/22/08 5:50:25PM
I voted for Swick. I thijnk its the only one he would have a good chance of beating IMO. Take a pounding but would submit Swick late. Other than that all the others are on another level.
Pages: [1] 2