Jake Shields to fight for EliteXC welterweight title on July 26

MMAPlayground.com » Community » MMA News Share Forum » Jake Shields to fight for EliteXC welterweight title on July 26
CantAndleDaRiddum
6/17/08 12:00:58PM
EliteXC welterweight Jake Shields (20-4-1) will finally get a chance to fight for the organization's 170-pound title.

EliteXC officials tell MMAjunkie.com (www.mmajunkie.com) that Shields will next fight during the organization's second CBS show, which takes place July 26 -- possibly in St. Louis.

Two previously scheduled title fights between Shields and former UFC fighter Drew Fickett (34-5) fell apart due to injuries, and it now looks like Shields could fight either Nick Thompson (36-9-1) or Jay Hieron (15-4) for the first-ever title.

"EliteXC: Unfinished Business" was announced over the weekend (see: event announcement), and the event will feature a headline bout between EliteXC middleweight champ Robbie Lawler (15-4) and Scott Smith (13-4). In addition to that title fight and Shields', Antonio Silva (10-1) may also fight for the the heavyweight belt against a yet-to-be-determined opponent.

Shields, perhaps the only top-10 welterweight not under contract to Zuffa, is 2-0 with EliteXC and has won nine straight fights, which included stops with BodogFIGHT and Rumble on the Rock. His list of victims includes top UFC middleweight contender Yushin Okami, WEC welterweight champ Carlos Condit, former UFC champ Dave Menne, and most recently, Xtreme Couture fighter Mike Pyle. In late 2007, he signed a long-term deal with EliteXC -- with the promise he would get to fight for the title.

Shields had been scheduled to fight Fickett in March at a Strikeforce/EliteXC co-promoted show, but a back injury forced Shields out of the title fight. It was then rescheduled for June at this past weekend's "EliteXC: Return of the King" event, but Fickett pulled out of the show with injury. Oddly, though, Fickett picked up a victory June 7 at Rage in the Cage 111 -- and EliteXC officials are well aware of it.

With Fickett now apparently on the outs with the organization, Shields' camp expects him to fight either Thompson, who reigned as a BodogFIGHT veteran before the organization unceremoniously shut down, or Hieron, one of the International Fight League's most notable fighters. (Considering Thompson's 12-fight win streak and notoriety from fighting in the UFC, he'd probably be the most marketable opponent for Shields.)

As it stands today, EliteXC has just two title-holders: middleweight champ Lawler and lightweight title-holder KJ Noons. The potential addition of two more -- and crowning them in front a national TV audience -- would be a solid step for the organization.

EliteXC's first "Saturday Night Fights" event on May 31 featured Kevin "Kimbo Slice" Ferguson's third-round TKO of James Thompson, and a controversial no-contest (due to an eye poke) between Lawler and Smith. The broadcast peaked with more than 6.5 million viewers (and averaged 4.9 million viewers), which promoted CBS executives to ask for a quick follow-up event.
link
CantAndleDaRiddum
6/17/08 12:02:53PM
looks like fickett punked out of fighting shields, considering he picked up a win june 7th

hope they give shields a "worthy" opponent....but i dont think they ahve anyone in that category lol
Twenty20Dollars
6/17/08 1:01:53PM
Im thinking they give him jay.

But i wonder who antonio silva would fight, dave herman?

on a side not i'd like to see carlos condit vs shields again.
ohiostate1016
6/17/08 1:37:59PM
Shields is a great fighter. I don't think there's a WW outside of the UFC/WEC that could beat him. Hell, there may not be a WW INSIDE of the UFC/WEC that could beat him.

(Not named GSP, of course).

Who in the world is Bigfoot gonna fight? I don't think they'll put Kimbo back in there this soon, especially because Brett Rogers will be his next fight.

A Lawler-Smith rematch doesn't really interest me. I was like, "Ok, this is a decent matchup" for the first fight, but now I don't really care. You guys with me?
Gipper
6/17/08 3:12:54PM

Posted by ohiostate1016

Shields is a great fighter. I don't think there's a WW outside of the UFC/WEC that could beat him. Hell, there may not be a WW INSIDE of the UFC/WEC that could beat him.

(Not named GSP, of course).

Who in the world is Bigfoot gonna fight? I don't think they'll put Kimbo back in there this soon, especially because Brett Rogers will be his next fight.

A Lawler-Smith rematch doesn't really interest me. I was like, "Ok, this is a decent matchup" for the first fight, but now I don't really care. You guys with me?

are you crazy dude. how in the hell does the lawler-smith fight not interest you? did you even watch the first fight? if you did...watch it again. sorry buddy not with ya on this one.

i agree shields is a great fighter. top 5 in the world if you ask me.

MMAcca
6/17/08 3:14:55PM

Posted by ohiostate1016

Who in the world is Bigfoot gonna fight?

Robert 'Buzz' Berry (he beat Ken Shamrock recently)
mk1630
6/17/08 6:57:57PM
I thought I heard a while back that Ricco and Bigfoot were gunna remtach for the title, just after their first fight. Im not sure if it was just a rumor or not, but for some reason thats what I remeber hearing.
casketcoin
6/17/08 7:21:15PM
is that chicken for sale?
rabbit915
6/17/08 7:54:50PM
I think either thompson or hieron would be a more worth matchup that fickett anyway.