Jake Shields: Cung Le would rather vacate the title than fight me for it

MMAPlayground.com » Community » MMA News Share Forum » Jake Shields: Cung Le would rather vacate the title than fight me for it
ThaAxeMurderer7
11/8/09 2:49:45AM
“Cung Le doesn’t want to fight me. That’s why he vacated the title only to come back a month later and fight again. You’ll have to ask Cung why he won’t fight me.”

Newly crowned Strikeforce Middleweight Champion Jake Shields takes at shot at Cung Le during the “Fedor vs. Rogers” post fight press conference on Nov. 7 from the Sears Centre in Hoffman Estates, Illinois.

Link
bjj1605
11/8/09 3:49:51AM
I agree. Cung Le is a good striker but Shields would take him down at will and maul him
SamPan
11/8/09 3:55:06AM
Shields almost got choked out. 10 more seconds and it was over. I dont think Cung should be too scared of him
Aether
11/8/09 3:57:15AM
and this is why I hate Jake Shields.

In Jake's mind everyone is afraid of him, but he will never go to the UFC to fight the actual top fighters in his division.
MiniMan
11/8/09 4:04:15AM
Jake should test himself once his current contract is up and sign with the UFC, Where the WW and MW division would be able to handle his ground game. I mean Cmon, Half the UFC guys wouldnt be that easy to control. Props to Mayhem, But his is STILL not UFC calibur.
fizzle
11/8/09 6:01:12AM

Posted by SamPan

Shields almost got choked out. 10 more seconds and it was over. I dont think Cung should be too scared of him

mentalcase
11/8/09 6:49:29AM
jake would have no trouble submitting cung le

hes just talking **** in hope the it will entice cung

and he easily subbed daily who just took out a top contender in the ufc

RyanC
11/8/09 11:10:04AM

Posted by mentalcase

Are you and Jake personal friends? Family maybe? You've been loving him up under every Shields related thread that's been created in the last 24 hours.

Jake Shields should be thankful he won the belt last night and shut up. Mayhem nearly had him choked out. Jake employed what is my least favorite strategy in all of sports to win the fight. Hold him on the cage, and do nothing. When I say nothing I mean just enough so the ref doesn't seperate you. Or take Mayhem down and do essentially the same thing. He did next to nothing with the takedowns last night, rarely even attempted to set up a submission, and his punches were weak. Miller looked annoyed more than anything. He was terrified to stand with Mayhem and it was obvious.

I hope someone comes along and blasts this guy into next year, but unfortunately I don't really see anyone in the MW or WW division at Strikeforce that will do it. Maybe Mayhem on another day. I'd love to see Shields fight Josh Koscheck.
Twenty20Dollars
11/8/09 11:10:07AM
Honestly jake wasnt that impressive vs miller. But i would see jake do the same vs cung le, stand for 10 seconds and then shoot for the rest of the fight.
Giant_Ochai
11/8/09 11:22:53AM
Jake would rape Cung Le with ease.
cowcatcher
11/8/09 11:28:05AM
le just isnt a big fan of hugging...
sparky
11/8/09 1:10:36PM

Posted by RyanC

Posted by mentalcase

Are you and Jake personal friends? Family maybe? You've been loving him up under every Shields related thread that's been created in the last 24 hours.

Jake Shields should be thankful he won the belt last night and shut up. Mayhem nearly had him choked out. Jake employed what is my least favorite strategy in all of sports to win the fight. Hold him on the cage, and do nothing. When I say nothing I mean just enough so the ref doesn't seperate you. Or take Mayhem down and do essentially the same thing. He did next to nothing with the takedowns last night, rarely even attempted to set up a submission, and his punches were weak. Miller looked annoyed more than anything. He was terrified to stand with Mayhem and it was obvious.

I hope someone comes along and blasts this guy into next year, but unfortunately I don't really see anyone in the MW or WW division at Strikeforce that will do it. Maybe Mayhem on another day. I'd love to see Shields fight Josh Koscheck.

You sound a little bitter my friend Shields put on a clinic dude went from mount to the back more times then I remember and your right about Mayhem almost having him choked out, but almost only counts in horse shoes and hand granades.
fizzle
11/8/09 2:05:29PM

Posted by sparky

Posted by RyanC

Posted by mentalcase

You sound a little bitter my friend Shields put on a clinic dude went from mount to the back more times then I remember and your right about Mayhem almost having him choked out, but almost only counts in horse shoes and hand granades.

I don't think I would call anything I saw in that fight a "clinic". Jake was only out wrestling Mayhem and he was only modeerately successful as Jason's take downs were much more spectacular than Jake's lackluster and repetitive take downs. Shields came in with a game plan and executed it, congratulations on an extremely boring win.
george112
11/8/09 2:42:55PM

Posted by fizzle

Posted by sparky

Posted by RyanC

Posted by mentalcase

I don't think I would call anything I saw in that fight a "clinic". Jake was only out wrestling Mayhem and he was only modeerately successful as Jason's take downs were much more spectacular than Jake's lackluster and repetitive take downs. Shields came in with a game plan and executed it, congratulations on an extremely boring win.

gotta agree.

all i saw shields doing was transitoning.no punishment to miller at all.while i knew sheilds was going to win this fight.i was still rooting for miller.atleast miller actually tried a RNC.instead of just going back and forth with taking the back and mount.totally boring
Jride
11/8/09 2:46:05PM
Jake Shields can talk and say this all he wants..

But we all know for a fact that he wont stand with Cung.

He wouldnt even stand with Mayhem.
telnights
11/8/09 5:22:58PM
Jake should put a little more effort in to finishing his fights and less in to talking about other fighters. I have never seen a fighter dominate another fighter on the ground that much and not put any effort in to finishing.
RyanC
11/8/09 7:07:03PM

Posted by sparky

What do I have to be bitter about? I had no stake in that fight. I'm not really much of a Mayhem fan. I don't like fighters that don't even TRY to finish. I couldn't give a crap less about a bunch of transitions. So what if he passed guard, or took the back. It's not a jiu jitsu competiton. And even if it was he hardly tried to finish Miller at all in the fight. All Shields really did was wrestle him for five rounds.

I know he won. I know he didn't get hurt. It was probably a smart strategy for him. It doesn't mean I have to like it. I thought it was weak. If you are gonna use wrestling and jiu jitsu to dominate a fight SUBMIT THE FREAKING OPPONENT instead of laying on him for 25 minutes.
Lay_N_Pray
11/8/09 7:58:44PM
I understand both sides of this argument, but I have to say Shields fought a great fight as far as executing a game plan and doing what he is best at.

Many people said at the event that the ref should have stood it up. I never really understood this argument. When two fighters are standing and not throwing punches, the ref doesn't step in and say "Not enough action here, get on the ground boys." If you want to have the fight on the feet, scramble and get yourself up, don't look at the ref.

Secondly, I would much rather a superior grappler try to grapple as opposed to stand and try to strike just because the crowd is blood thirsty and wants to see someone knocked out. These guys aren't boxers and many of them have subpar technique, so why watch that? Shields is a great grappler and it's interesting to watch. It wouldn't look so hot to watch him "box" his opponent.

This is MIXED martial arts, not "let's just see fists and kicks fly so we can see someone get knocked unconscious" martial arts.

Fight to your strengths
RyanC
11/8/09 8:06:37PM

Posted by Lay_N_Pray

I understand both sides of this argument, but I have to say Shields fought a great fight as far as executing a game plan and doing what he is best at.

Many people said at the event that the ref should have stood it up. I never really understood this argument. When two fighters are standing and not throwing punches, the ref doesn't step in and say "Not enough action here, get on the ground boys." If you want to have the fight on the feet, scramble and get yourself up, don't look at the ref.

Secondly, I would much rather a superior grappler try to grapple as opposed to stand and try to strike just because the crowd is blood thirsty and wants to see someone knocked out. These guys aren't boxers and many of them have subpar technique, so why watch that? Shields is a great grappler and it's interesting to watch. It wouldn't look so hot to watch him "box" his opponent.

This is MIXED martial arts, not "let's just see fists and kicks fly so we can see someone get knocked unconscious" martial arts.

Fight to your strengths

For the record I'm not some drunken idiot fanboy who is out for blood. I love grappling. I understand a good ground game. I just think that Shields strategy however smart or effective it may have been was weak and boring. If he would've been setting up submission attempts, or attempting submissions the entire time it would have been entertaining. But as I stated above repeatedly getting a single leg takedown, passing guard, and taking the back does not impress me if you do NOTHING with it. I'm just not interested in watching a guy lay on his opponent for 5 rounds.
Lay_N_Pray
11/8/09 9:51:04PM
I did not mean to imply you were a drunken fanboy, I'm just saying many in attendance last night booed for the wrong reasons.

They booed cause Miller makes them laugh with his dancing and high school reality show on MTV, so they want to see him throw wild punches and hopefully someone ends up unconscious or asleep. Yes, I agree with you he needed to be more aggressive on the ground, which is why I understand both ends of the argument. But I feel no sympathy for Miller because the ref didn't stand it up, that's not his job. It's Miller's job to get to his own feet.
telnights
11/8/09 10:25:53PM
I will say that Shields ground game looked very good and I have never seen anyone dominate Miller like that other than GSP. But GSP was beating Miller up bad from start to finish and was always looking to finish. I will say again I have never seen a fighter put so much effort in to advancing his position and not try to finish at all. Now I want to say his ground game is very good but really how many of the top 10 guys at WW or MW does anyone think he can beat. I know I feel safe picking any of my top 5 WWs and top 10 MWs to beat him. If he wants to prove something try calling out a guy that is a real top 10 MW.
RyanC
11/9/09 12:14:41AM

Posted by Lay_N_Pray

I did not mean to imply you were a drunken fanboy, I'm just saying many in attendance last night booed for the wrong reasons.

They booed cause Miller makes them laugh with his dancing and high school reality show on MTV, so they want to see him throw wild punches and hopefully someone ends up unconscious or asleep. Yes, I agree with you he needed to be more aggressive on the ground, which is why I understand both ends of the argument. But I feel no sympathy for Miller because the ref didn't stand it up, that's not his job. It's Miller's job to get to his own feet.

I hear ya. I just had to make clear that I wasn't hating on Shields just for fighting on the ground. It would've been a lot cooler to watch if his slick transitions had amounted to something. He deserved to win the fight. No doubt. I just didn't like the way he did it. There were a few times I wish the ref would've stood them up or pulled the fight away from the cage because I didn't think there was enough action, but I don't have a big problem with them not doing it either.
Wolfenstein
11/9/09 12:56:16PM
I don't really see Jake vs Cung generating a lot of interest, or even being an exciting bout. I think Lawler vs Cung would be much more exciting. I'm not really a big fan of contrasting styles fighting each other, unless they're both at the top of the heap vying for a title. If anything Cung should probably be looking for a tune-up match after a long hiatus.

ButterBalls
11/18/09 10:17:14PM

Posted by Jride

Jake Shields can talk and say this all he wants..

But we all know for a fact that he wont stand with Cung.

He wouldnt even stand with Mayhem.

I agree with this guy. Realisticly, Shields can talk ****, but none of really know what Cung can and can't do on the ground, or if Shields could get him down. Le is one of the more elusive fighters I've seen in a while and Jake could end up with a broken face trying.