Jake Shields calls out Cung Le, Frank Shamrock

MMAPlayground.com » Community » MMA News Share Forum » Jake Shields calls out Cung Le, Frank Shamrock
Irish_Pride
7/17/09 6:18:25PM

Jake Shields (23-4-1) is considered to be one of the top welterweights in the world, however that may end soon as the former EliteXC Welterweight Champion may be moving up to middleweight. As we reported last month, Strikeforce is expected to introduce an interim middleweight championship as the current champion, Cung Le, is busy with his movie career, and Shields is expected to be in the title mix. Shields recently spoke with Rod Moyer of FightLine.com on a variety of topics including Cung Le, his friendship with Nick Diaz, his rivalry with Frank Shamrock and much more....

LINK

What do you guys think of this? I think Jake Shields would do pretty good at middleweight. I am a fan of Jake Shields and he has 2 fights left on his contract with Strikeforce. I think if he wins both those fights, wins the middleweight title, UFC should definetely try and sign him.
Rush
7/17/09 6:29:04PM
The fights I have seen of Jake have not really impressed me. I get the sense that he would be killed if he came to the UFC. If he wants to be considered a top fighter he needs to be fighting guys in the top org(s), not Frank Shamrock or Cung.
three_days_of_grey
7/17/09 6:29:30PM
Fight Shamrock first. Get though him and then take on Le. I think Le could literally kick the crap out of Jake Shields though. Shields stand-up is not that great and Le is not easily taken down nor kept on the mat. If Shields pulls guard, Le will not engage him but opt for a stand-up.
For Le: if you want to fight, do so. If you want to act, do so. Don't hold up a belt because you want to test the waters in Hollywood. Vacate the belt and if you feel the urge to come back, earn it back, and take what is yours.

-OUT-
Twenty20Dollars
7/17/09 7:39:25PM
Shields could beat both of them.
fizzle
7/17/09 7:42:40PM
Pretty easy to call someone out when you know you're not going to have to fight Cung until he is done being an actor. As Rush said I haven't been very impressed with Sheilds for all his fan-fare. I felt he struggled with Semtex who he was supposed to beat fairly easily as Paul doesn't really have a ground game to speak of. Sheilds is good, but not great and wouldn't do very well in the UFC in my opinion.
Kpro
7/17/09 7:55:42PM
He has 2 fights left on his contract, and he just beat Robbie Lawler.

Who else is he supposed to call out before he even CAN test the UFC waters ?

You gotta realize he has to fulfill those 2 fights with Strikeforce's roster before he can call out a UFC fighter and/or fight there.
sclasclemski
7/17/09 8:16:48PM
I'm just curious as to who is going to fight Jake for the interim belt...he just took out the top contender...and his "friend" just took out the other two top guys in the strikeforce MW division...am I missing someone?
breakdown5
7/17/09 8:26:37PM
Shields should want to fight more top fighters if he really wants to prove he is one of the best. Shamrock probably only has a fight or two left in him and Le thinks he's friggin' Jet Li.
Rush
7/17/09 9:49:21PM

Posted by fizzle

Pretty easy to call someone out when you know you're not going to have to fight Cung until he is done being an actor. As Rush said I haven't been very impressed with Sheilds for all his fan-fare. I felt he struggled with Semtex who he was supposed to beat fairly easily as Paul doesn't really have a ground game to speak of. Sheilds is good, but not great and wouldn't do very well in the UFC in my opinion.

Props for reminding me about the semtex fight. That was the one that sealed it for me.
Wolfenstein
7/17/09 10:25:35PM
Jake Shields would do great in any organization. He's already beaten Yushin Okami and Carlos Condit. That's two top guys in the UFC right there.

I have zero interest in seeing him fight Cung Le. Striker vs grappler almost always translates into a boring bout. I'm not saying you should avoid making those kind of bouts, particularly if both guys are at the top of the division--but for pure entertainment value it wouldn't be my first choice.
RearNakedJoke
7/18/09 2:01:22AM

The fights I have seen of Jake have not really impressed me. I get the sense that he would be killed if he came to the UFC. If he wants to be considered a top fighter he needs to be fighting guys in the top org(s), not Frank Shamrock or Cung.

i agree i havent found him all that impressive either. his performance on bully beat down wasnt so hot either.

he is very quick to capitalize on a mistake though, which is a great instinct to have. i think the ufc would have signed him already had he not been caught up in the elitexc contract deals.
crazedfan
7/18/09 3:40:26AM

Posted by RearNakedJoke
his performance on bully beat down wasnt so hot either.

... Really?
prozacnation1978
7/18/09 12:04:42PM
strikeforce has no challengers for jake, and jake knows that,
he will fight two more times than bolt to the ufc if he wants to challenge himself
might get instant title shot
i do think he will fight for title next maybe against a smokin joe or cung le
Giant_Ochai
7/18/09 1:43:10PM

Posted by Wolfenstein

Jake Shields would do great in any organization. He's already beaten Yushin Okami and Carlos Condit. That's two top guys in the UFC right there.

I have zero interest in seeing him fight Cung Le. Striker vs grappler almost always translates into a boring bout. I'm not saying you should avoid making those kind of bouts, particularly if both guys are at the top of the division--but for pure entertainment value it wouldn't be my first choice.

Did you see the Okami fight? Yushin was robbed.
The-Don
7/18/09 2:53:32PM

Posted by RearNakedJoke

i agree i havent found him all that impressive either. his performance on bully beat down wasnt so hot either.

he is very quick to capitalize on a mistake though, which is a great instinct to have. i think the ufc would have signed him already had he not been caught up in the elitexc contract deals.

they did try to sign him.. just were not able to... My instructor is one of Jakes Students..

Sadly thoguh jake never uses his stand up.. to see him train and such and then watch him fight it is alsmot like two different people.. he uses his stand mainly to get the fight to the ground.. he may have more trouble in the UFC doing that.. but once it is on the ground others even in the UFC will have a hard time with him..
The-Don
7/18/09 2:54:47PM

Posted by crazedfan

Posted by RearNakedJoke
his performance on bully beat down wasnt so hot either.

... Really?

Yea Really? why would you bring this up.. the purpose of the show is not really to decimate the person but more so to embareass them.. and I think Jake did that
Rush
7/18/09 7:37:35PM

Posted by Wolfenstein

Saying he already beat Okami is like saying Chonan is a great fighter because he beat Silva. I seriously think if he moved up to MW and fought Okami again he would lose.

I see Jake as kind of like Jon Goullet. Not that he is a bad chin, but rather the fact that he does very well in the B level orgs, but just couldn't pull enough wins together to be consistent in A level orgs.

I'm all for giving Jake a three fight shot in the UFC, but if he fights any guy above the level of gatekeeper, I suspect he will only win once out of the three fights, if that. For example, I could see a guy like Lytle tuning him up.
ry_dawg63
10/13/09 9:01:56PM
Jake would kill Frank or Cung! he's going to beat Mayham down! as a WW he would easily work his way to the top three in the UFC! john ficth and GSP are the only WW in the world i think could hang with him.

War Jake,Gill,Nick,and nate!
sclasclemski
10/14/09 5:28:44AM
You think he would handle Thiago alves as well with ease?
ry_dawg63
10/14/09 11:48:01AM
ok maybe not with ease. Thiago has some of the best striking skills as a WW in the UFC. and a great take-down defense as well. but if that fight was to make it to the ground Thiago would definitely get subbed or tko'd. i think Jake would beat swick,(easily) and although i think Koscheck would be another tough fight for Jake if it hit the ground i see Jake finishing him in the same fashion. i just hope the UFC comes at him with a good deal when his contract is up with strike-force. so we can all see just how good he really is!
Image Attachment(s):
Photo Attachment 1
ry_dawg63
10/14/09 6:04:09PM
"Saying he already beat Okami is like saying Chonan is a great fighter because he beat Silva. I seriously think if he moved up to MW and fought Okami again he would lose.

I see Jake as kind of like Jon Goullet. Not that he is a bad chin, but rather the fact that he does very well in the B level orgs, but just couldn't pull enough wins together to be consistent in A level orgs.

I'm all for giving Jake a three fight shot in the UFC, but if he fights any guy above the level of gatekeeper, I suspect he will only win once out of the three fights, if that. For example, I could see a guy like Lytle tuning him up."

i admit the Okami fight was a close one. could of went either way in my opinion. maybe even a draw. but don't forget Jake still took home that tournament belt. and after he beat Okami he went on to beat Carlos Condit in the same night! that tournament had a lot of UFC fighters in it.(Anderson Silva,Frank Trigg,Carlos Condit,Okami) so it's not like Jake hasn't fought some UFC level guys already. lets not forget his wins over "Charuto" Verissimo, or Dave Menne. all UFC vets. or that he has beat some of the best Japanese fighters like Sakurai, or Kikuchi. Since then he's fought Paul Daley,Nick Tompson,Mike Pyle, and Robbie Lawler. Finishing them all! And though some people think that the Daley fight wasn't that impressive, look Daley took out Kampmann who was suppose to be a force at WW in the UFC. so for you to say that he just can't pull off enough wins to be consistent in a A level orgs, well will just have to wait and see about that. but you do have to admit that a 12 fight win streak,in which he beat 7 UFC vets,and finished the last 8 of the fights is a pretty impressive streak!
Image Attachment(s):
Photo Attachment 1
bt155lbs
10/21/09 9:38:21PM
I think Rye Dog handled that one good enough. To say that Jakes only fought B level fighters is hilarious. Hes fought some of the toughest guys from all over the world in a lot of organizations....Its comical that people just cant accept the fact that Jakes one of the best out there. Unless youve rolled with him, you just dont know the type of pressure he brings. He breaks everyone, and in my opinion he has the best top game in MMA